Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Should Scott walker and the legislature give up their pensions and health benefits?
Yes I think he and the legislature should volutarily give up all pay this year 7 26.92%
Yes I think the legislature should at least match the cuts and limits proposed to teachers 12 46.15%
Yes the 15% cuts and pension cuts should be across the board 8 30.77%
No he is too important 4 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2011, 11:52 AM   #51 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
Gov. Walker & the Republican legislative majority in Wisconsin want to strip union rights from all state employees. Just how balanced and middle ground is a complete lack of unions?
Remember Newton? "Every action produces an equal but opposite reaction"? Works in politics as well. You get any extreme, like unions being way too powerful, and that creates a bunch of people calling for the opposite extreme.

Quote:
It leaves all state employees in Wisconsin unable to bargain collectively. This is wacko mega government control stripping workers' rights away, and you're complaining about UNION extortion?
Yes, because I can't see that the unions are bargaining, or otherwise working, for ME. (Or were back in the days when I was forced to belong to a union in order to work.) They're working first for the power & privilege of the union bosses (no different than corporate CEOs), then for the political goals of the union activists (many of which I oppose), and finally for the least common denominator workers, the slackers and incompetents who wouldn't keep their jobs if not protected by unions.

The Following User Says Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
poorman (02-25-2011)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-24-2011, 01:59 PM   #52 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
I thought this thread was about unions, schools, benefits and the position of a governor of a state. As usual, it is turning into a general Leftist harangue about everything imaginable.
Of course, we haven't seen any rightist harangues blaming the 8500 GVW emissions exemptions on school busing, or any other kooky rightist diatribes about how fair and balanced things would be with no unions cluttering up workers' rights to be exploited. No sirree! Your agenda is crystal clear, just like Scott Walker's.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg

Old 02-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #53 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Remember Newton? "Every action produces an equal but opposite reaction"? Works in politics as well. You get any extreme, like unions being way too powerful, and that creates a bunch of people calling for the opposite extreme.
Yep, it's called a "backlash" and it's very common in politics, utilized by both Right and Left.

In this case however, it's the Left that is having a screaming fit in response to it.

Quote:
Yes, because I can't see that the unions are bargaining, or otherwise working, for ME. (Or were back in the days when I was forced to belong to a union in order to work.) They're working first for the power & privilege of the union bosses (no different than corporate CEOs), then for the political goals of the union activists (many of which I oppose), and finally for the least common denominator workers, the slackers and incompetents who wouldn't keep their jobs if not protected by unions.
All true. There is no real balance in the political realm; it's a landscape of extremes. That's how the sordid game is played.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #54 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
Of course, we haven't seen any rightist harangues blaming the 8500 GVW emissions exemptions on school busing, or any other kooky rightist diatribes about how fair and balanced things would be with no unions cluttering up workers' rights to be exploited. No sirree! Your agenda is crystal clear, just like Scott Walker's.
Again, my point is that school buses ARE exempt and remain so. The Leftie Greenies are the ones who lobbied that cars have to have stringent pollution controls, but it didn't apply to school buses. That's a political fact and it smacks of hypocrisy, as school buses have continued to stink for many decades and still do today.

Call it the stench of public education, if you like.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:23 PM   #55 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
Which scenario seems more reasonable to you: a bunch of hated leftist greenies hypocritically and purposely exempt school buses from the Clean Air Act for some conspiratorial under-the-table agreement with their leftist civil rights co-conspirators?

Or, heaven forbid: big right wing business lobbyists whine to their congressmen that those leftist clean air requirements are going to bankrupt them, put American workers out of work, and cripple the economy so we can't compete with yellow-skinned/brown-skinned cheap foreign competitors?

Yep, it's those leftists to blame every time.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg

Old 02-24-2011, 02:23 PM   #56 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
All the imbalanced people should just shut the f#@% up.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #57 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Again, my point is that school buses ARE exempt and remain so. The Leftie Greenies are the ones who lobbied that cars have to have stringent pollution controls, but it didn't apply to school buses. That's a political fact and it smacks of hypocrisy, as school buses have continued to stink for many decades and still do today.

Maybe in your backwoods county. In the county of my hometown, schools are required to replace or retrofit all non-ARB compliant buses by 2016. I'm sure that lefties wanted to do it sooner, but "conservatives" would have howled at the cost.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #58 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...like that kid in "6th Sense" said: "...I see IDIOTS, everywhere..."

Old 02-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #59 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:

Could I just ask, how many School Buses carrying 10-30 kids are there compared to, say, oversized SUVs carrying one person on US roads every morning ?

Just asking.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #60 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I'd like to know too. As I previously noted, due to a thing called "open enrollment", we are bussing kids not only within their districts, but to neighboring districts as well. I would imagine the annual U.S. school bus miles accrued has SKYROCKETED. And people wonder why schools cost so much...

Closed Thread  Post New Thread