Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2022, 06:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
I've seen that video. im not even thinking about using smaller car mirror. i was actually going to stick a screw out and then attach one of these super mini 3 inch blind spot mirrors. and then id fabricate some type of little aero cover shell on the backside of it facing the wind.
That's fine--but if you want to know if the smaller blindspot mirror (with or without fairing) has lower drag than the stock mirror, you will need to test it. There's an unfortunate belief on this forum that you can assess the aerodynamics of an object or shape simply by looking at it when this is not true, especially when it comes to small add-ons subject to interference drag in areas with complicated flow patterns such as mirrors. (You'll find statements to this effect in any textbook on aerodynamics; I know because I've read a lot of them! You can--and should--too).

The Following User Says Thank You to Vman455 For This Useful Post:
Drifter (04-16-2022)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-16-2022, 09:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
That's fine--but if you want to know if the smaller blindspot mirror (with or without fairing) has lower drag than the stock mirror, you will need to test it. There's an unfortunate belief on this forum that you can assess the aerodynamics of an object or shape simply by looking at it when this is not true, especially when it comes to small add-ons subject to interference drag in areas with complicated flow patterns such as mirrors. (You'll find statements to this effect in any textbook on aerodynamics; I know because I've read a lot of them! You can--and should--too).
its hard to do the t shape test thing because ones a 5-10 pound mirror and the other is as light as a feather. 8 by 6 inch electric mirror, versus a tab the size of my thumb
Old 04-17-2022, 08:04 AM   #13 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
Quote:
its hard to do the t shape test thing because ones a 5-10 pound mirror and the other is as light as a feather. 8 by 6 inch electric mirror, versus a tab the size of my thumb
Do you actually want to know if your modifications work, or not? Because every time I've suggested testing something on this and your other thread you've come back with excuses why you can't. You're not alone; this is unfortunately a common attitude (and I used to be the same way), but it's one that needs to change if you want to engage with the real world of aerodynamics and not "mathematics from fantasyland" (to borrow a phrase from my first- and second-semester calculus professor). It's why I wrote this piece a few days ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vman455 For This Useful Post:
MeteorGray (04-17-2022)
Old 04-17-2022, 12:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
Do you actually want to know if your modifications work, or not? Because every time I've suggested testing something on this and your other thread you've come back with excuses why you can't. You're not alone; this is unfortunately a common attitude (and I used to be the same way), but it's one that needs to change if you want to engage with the real world of aerodynamics and not "mathematics from fantasyland" (to borrow a phrase from my first- and second-semester calculus professor). It's why I wrote this piece a few days ago.
I’m asking for a better way to test. I can do tuft testing for side mirrors easily. But the whole wooden T bar thing like in Julian’s video only works if the two mirrors are the same weight. What I’m asking is how can I get around the inside weight difference? Even if the little thumb tab has more drag hypothetically, the wind in that specific test isn’t going to move back an item that weighs half a gram versus something that is 10 pounds for the full size mirror. You’re not factoring in weight. I’m sure some time of T bar that’s mountained to a super slick pole that’s mounted on a high grade ball bearing could possibly over come the weight difference and be more scientific. But the two mirrors on the stick thing isn’t going to work with such a massive weight difference. That’s why I’m asking if there’s a better test to do
Old 04-17-2022, 03:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
i was actually going to stick a screw out and then attach one of these super mini 3 inch blind spot mirrors. and then id fabricate some type of little aero cover shell on the backside of it facing the wind.
Maybe the aero cover shell of the mirrors of some sports motorcycle might serve this purpose.
Old 04-17-2022, 03:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
マット

The Van - '95 Chevy Astro Cl V8 Swapped
Team Chevy
90 day: 7.84 mpg (US)

The new bike - '17 Kawasaki Versys X 300 abs
Motorcycle
90 day: 71.94 mpg (US)

The Mercury - '95 Mercury Tracer Trio
Team Ford
90 day: 34.35 mpg (US)

Toyota - '22 Toyota Corolla Hatchback
90 day: 40.11 mpg (US)
Quote:
only works if the two mirrors are the same weight.
Why do you think the weight would make a difference? I think I see what you mean, is it because it's gonna take more force to move the heavy mirror? Or because holding a pole with 2 uneven weights while keeping it mostly straight up could be challenging?
1981 Kawasaki KZ650 CSR
1983 Kawasaki KZ1100-A3
1986 Nissan 300zx Turbo 5 spd
1995 Chevy Astro RWD (current project)
1995 Mercury Tracer
2017 Kawasaki VersysX 300
2022 Corolla Hatchback 6MT

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6s...LulDUQ8HMj5VKA
Old 04-17-2022, 04:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_a_t_t View Post
Why do you think the weight would make a difference? I think I see what you mean, is it because it's gonna take more force to move the heavy mirror? Or because holding a pole with 2 uneven weights while keeping it mostly straight up could be challenging?
because itll take a lot more force to move the heavy mirror yes.
Old 04-17-2022, 04:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
In some alternate Universe, in the last few days, I saw and maybe even quoted a picture that showed a stock mirror vs one of those blind-spot mirrors inside a [3D prionted?] shroud.

It wasn't this thread or the Ioniq one. There was a thread where everyone compared inside mirror setups. Perhaps linked from ecomodder.com/wiki/Side_mirrors.

edit:
Quote:
because itll take a lot more force to move the heavy mirror yes.
It's a couple.
Quote:
https://www.vedantu.com › physics › couple
A couple is a pair of equal parallel forces pointing in opposite directions in mechanics. The only thing a couple can do is cause or prevent a body from turning. The amount of either force is multiplied by the perpendicular distance between their action lines to compute the turning effect, or moment, of a pair. The Couples' Characteristics
The pitfall would be binding on the axis.

Old 04-17-2022, 06:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
マット

The Van - '95 Chevy Astro Cl V8 Swapped
Team Chevy
90 day: 7.84 mpg (US)

The new bike - '17 Kawasaki Versys X 300 abs
Motorcycle
90 day: 71.94 mpg (US)

The Mercury - '95 Mercury Tracer Trio
Team Ford
90 day: 34.35 mpg (US)

Toyota - '22 Toyota Corolla Hatchback
90 day: 40.11 mpg (US)
Quote:
its hard to do the t shape test thing because ones a 5-10 pound mirror and the other is as light as a feather.
F=MA

Force
Mass
Acceleration

The heavier mirror would only require longer to move to its resting position at the chosen speed. The force from drag will be a relative constant. The mass will be constant for each mirror. So the only change will be the acceleration rate. Weight is a factor, but if you wait for things to settle out it will be accurate.

I do agree about finding a more convenient test. Julian had a sunroof available. I don't and unless I make a fixture or hang out the window it's not really an option. Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions as far as an easier test.
1981 Kawasaki KZ650 CSR
1983 Kawasaki KZ1100-A3
1986 Nissan 300zx Turbo 5 spd
1995 Chevy Astro RWD (current project)
1995 Mercury Tracer
2017 Kawasaki VersysX 300
2022 Corolla Hatchback 6MT

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6s...LulDUQ8HMj5VKA
Old 04-17-2022, 06:24 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
duckduckgo.com/?q=swan+hood+ornament&iar=images&iax=images&ia=ima ges

Does it make sense to move forward instead of up?

F*=MA
*there will be a trig fuction for angle of attack. ...absent a linkage to reverse the force across the vertical axis.

Reply  Post New Thread