Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by royanddoreen View Post
.325!!! with that shape. It looks to have the best boatail i ever saw, must be a mistake. Any other cars with a tail shape like this one? Guess i must start scearching to see what i can come up with.
This is probably one of those "just because it looks low drag doesn't mean it's low drag."
Hucho comments on 'pseudo-Jaray' 'fastbacks' which have too steep of a roofline and suffer not only premature separation,but also horrific longitudinal vortices,adding up to high overall drag.
The Corvette of '73 was around Cd 0.5,and when Datsun (Nissan) came out with their 240-Z it was over Cd 0.5.Ferraris,Maserattis,and Lamborghinis didn't fair much better.
And we hadn't had the Arab oil embargo yet,or any full-scale wind tunnels except Lockheed Marietta,so it was mostly about styling.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-20-2013, 11:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pantry Boy Supreme (pbs) - '04 Volvo S80 T6 Premier
hell, the 2011 fiesta has Cd of .33, but id love to have that Vette!!! Just for styling or not it still goes faster than the ford anyday, and looks so simplistic on the inside(maybe full HD display?). If i could, id love to mimic it in almost every way, but redo the "fastback" portion of it and elongate it to match template, smoothy wheel covers, and give it a smooth underbelly(assuming it doesn't have one for 70's tech), give it a decant little 6cyl with a double overdrive... who knows whats possible.

Curious of the influence, if by adding a small lip tail section would of had on it?!
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Let me poke around at the library and see what I can find. 0.325 sounds about right for something that's shoving a bunch of air under the car though. Who knows- there might be some wind tunnel pics or something.

Oh yeah, and that rear slope is probably pulling all the air down instead of letting it move at its own pace. Can't imagine it would be fun to drive at 120mph.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,959 Posts
I think allowing air at the nose under the car is alright as long as you manage the air-flow underneath with a smooth belly pan or something.

Many forum comments about lower is not better in certain cases.

EDIT: found this scale model picture.

Aerovette - Autos - Modeling Subjects - Finescale Modeler Community

The real thing (1973 not 1976) is at the GM Heritage Museum, can someone make it over there and snap a picture of the belly?

1973 Chevrolet Aerovette Concept Images, Information and History (Experimental, Gull-Wing) | Conceptcarz.com
Quote:
The Aerovette was designed wîth the aid of wind tunnel testing for low drag without excessive aerodynamic lift while maintaining Únited States bumper height standards. ( posted on conceptcarz.com)

Quote:
The GM Heritage Center serves as a showplace for the vehicles of the GM Heritage Collection, and as the home of the Heritage and Media Archive. Located in an 81,000 square foot facility in Sterling Heights, Michigan, the Center has approximately 200 vehicles on display, while the Archive houses 15,000 linear feet of shelving containing significant documents, manuals, brochures, and artifacts documenting GM's rich history of innovation.

About | GM Heritage Center
Conference and Event Planning
Though not open to the public for individual visits, The GM Heritage Center can be reserved for group tours, conferences, meetings and special events.
Guess I'll have to wait for a special event when it's open to the public.

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html

Last edited by kach22i; 03-21-2013 at 10:13 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kach22i For This Useful Post:
aerohead (03-21-2013), Cd (03-30-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Cd for the Aerovette is correct. If you are interested in the shape, there were 1/24 scale paper model forms published in Motor Trend during the early 1970's. I had prints made from our local library microfiche. The Citation IV was the better aero protype.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

z - '03 nissan 350z touring
90 day: 36.21 mpg (US)

Diniro - '18 Kia Niro Ex
90 day: 47.99 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
This is probably one of those "just because it looks low drag doesn't mean it's low drag."
Hucho comments on 'pseudo-Jaray' 'fastbacks' which have too steep of a roofline and suffer not only premature separation,but also horrific longitudinal vortices,adding up to high overall drag.
The Corvette of '73 was around Cd 0.5,and when Datsun (Nissan) came out with their 240-Z it was over Cd 0.5.Ferraris,Maserattis,and Lamborghinis didn't fair much better.
And we hadn't had the Arab oil embargo yet,or any full-scale wind tunnels except Lockheed Marietta,so it was mostly about styling.
So that roof line if a little steep is worst than like a prius less steep but cuts off square like most all cars?
Old 03-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
George, I'm planning to head up there soon, so hopefully I'll remember. Maybe there's some kind of employee field trip

It's not that letting air under the car is necessarily bad- it's that the nose is so high that it is compressing air before it goes under the car. That's bad for aero and bad for stability.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:04 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
George, I'm planning to head up there soon, so hopefully I'll remember. Maybe there's some kind of employee field trip
Cool, wish you luck.

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html
Old 03-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

z - '03 nissan 350z touring
90 day: 36.21 mpg (US)

Diniro - '18 Kia Niro Ex
90 day: 47.99 mpg (US)
This is the aero shape car i was looking for!!!file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/WinXP/My%20Documents/Downloads/2013%20Volkswagen%20XL1.htm!
Old 03-31-2013, 04:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sorry, that's a local file on your computer. To share it with us, you need to either find it online and share the link, or find some place to upload it to and then share the link with us.

Or if it's a picture, using the "go advanced" button or the "post reply" button (i.e., not the "post quick reply" button) and scroll down to "manage attachments" so you can upload the picture that way.

-soD

Reply  Post New Thread