Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2022, 07:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Slowness equals suspicion???

YouTube have many of you ever run into this situation yourselves? Being pulled over and questioned significantly?http://tu.be/Gy8IUeyqDkA

06 Chev MonteC JG#24tribute car 30mpg 00 Honda Insight 63MPG 98 Buick Park Ave3.8 33MPG 89 Toyota Corolla wag 53MPG so far 81 VW Rabbit diesel pu 50MPG+ 80 Mercedes 240D stick 30-ish 90 vette 6-speed,29ish 07 Honda ST1300 55MPG 83 Honda 650 GL 64MPG 19 Suzuki dr200 88MPG23 HondaGrom?+Tow K10D Sub 26mpg NEVER,NEVER GIVE UP!
PUMP THOSE TIRES UP!
DRIVE IN YOUR SOCKS FOR SENSITIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SLOW DOWN AND SMOOTH UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![SIGPIC]
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-27-2022, 07:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
I've been pulled over dozens of times, and there's always questions asked.

Never pulled over for impeding traffic though. I'd make it my aim to pull over an equal amount of "idiots" (slow drivers) as "maniacs" (fast drivers) if I were a police officer though. Most states require slower drivers to pull over to allow others to pass, but hardly anyone does that. I'd certainly be throwing the book at those "idiots".

If people aren't comfortable driving at the pace of at least the slowest traffic and impeded the smooth flow, they've got to go. Plenty of other ways to travel for those wanting to go slow, like take a bus.

Very unprofessional of the officer to not discuss the situation though. If there was behavior that needs to be corrected, that requires a dialogue. Every time I've received a "warning", the officer at least said something like "slow it down".

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 04-27-2022 at 08:06 PM..
Old 04-27-2022, 08:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Every time I've received a "warning", the officer at least said something like "slow it down".
Warning!?! What is this warning you speak of? Every time I've been pulled over it's a ticket before I can even open my mouth. ..then again, I've never been pulled over for less than 20 over, lol.

Old 04-27-2022, 10:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybuck View Post
YouTube have many of you ever run into this situation yourselves? Being pulled over and questioned significantly?http://tu.be/Gy8IUeyqDkA
Many times and usually not when driving slow

Best example was in the twilight years of my 82 diesel suburban ownership

Drove it with supplies to help setup my folks booth in Weyewega , it was quite rusty, after the show my folks wanted to drive through the fairgrounds next to the show as we were considering setting up at the fair,
Fairgrounds were a public place and we drove through slow looking at the grounds and buildings

When we left a cop pulled me over saying my vehicle was suspicious and kept me there about 15 minutes asking dumb questions with my folks sitting there
Old 04-28-2022, 12:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
YouTube have many of you ever run into this situation yourselves? Being pulled over and questioned significantly?
In a Basic Rule state, the speed limit is more of a guideline.

Since you ask.... In the 1980s, midnight New Years Eve, I was driving though downtown in my VW panel van. Some gold Toranado lunged out of a bar's parking lot and I want into an evasive maneuver that had me slide backward through the intersection at the Lane County Courthouse and bounce off the far curb. No problem except a patrol car was sitting at the light.

We talked of course, he had me walk toe-to-toe (I'd been out dancing. ) and we discussed the trajectories and wet pavement. Finally, after he said I was free to go he said "Why don't they all just go home?"

Old 04-28-2022, 02:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
Warning!?! What is this warning you speak of?
Had a cop "pull me over" once when I was already parked and walking into a store. He said I was doing 85 in a 35. Well, I never went above 2nd gear I told him, and then immediately had to brake because I had arrived at my destination. He let me off saying he would keep an eye out for my red motorcycle.

On the other side of things, I've had bogus speeding and improper lane change tickets stick.

98% of the time I've been in the wrong and the officer is right. Sometimes they get it wrong.

Scott Adams suggests when an officer pulls you over, asking "how can I help us be safe?". I find that being on the officer's side is a better strategy for avoiding severe reprimand than being adversarial. Rarely are they intending to be cruel, thought it happens, but usually just seeking to create order out of chaos.

In prison one officer told me the moment he saw me that he intended to "take all my goodtime", a 20% sentence reduction for good behavior. Another misfit officer would just bully at a grade school level, like knock the books I was carrying out of my hands. 10% were outstanding officers, 80% were ok, and 10% were POS; pretty similar to the rest of society. They come from society, just like all of us... I didn't lose any good time, and I was never prisoner to small-mindedness.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 04-28-2022 at 02:09 AM..
Old 04-28-2022, 08:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

One of my most memorable pullovers, was when I was doing a cross-country trip from Newberg Oregon to Tennessee. I was driving a 1970 Ford TorinoTYPE N/W( a regional special edition). I was approaching the downtown core area of Kansas City on the freeway at night, and I got pulled over because I was not showing any kind of a normal license plate on the back. I actually had taken a plastic iced dealer promo and turned it around the other way so it was simply a plain white plastic looking thing. I had a temporary Oregon permit which way back in the day in with strangely weird Oregon directions was to be placed in the lower right corner of the windshield. When I told the officer I had a legal official sticker in the front he just like completely lost it. I told him you're more than welcome to come inside the car and use your flashlight to verify my claim. I don't know why in that period of time Oregon thought that a front temporary sticker was a great idea. What officer usually normally checks a car out from the front? So where he stopped me I was actually on the beginning of a bridge with not too much of a shoulder width. He was red in the face angry that he could'nt get me for anything and and for the sticker being where it was, as I watched him peel out and drive away in an absolute rage. Oh by the way, the letters type n/w we're in white letters on a black background at the bottom end of the rocker panels and this Edition was not in the Fastback version but the semi or if you want to call it notch back though not that notch back to me. This Edition came in the different bright colors Ford had. Big bad blue big bad orange big bad green, somebody else clue me in if there were any other colors here. They all came with the 351 Cleveland a flat black hood, and had the type of hood pins that weren't pins at all but circular units you spun like you were trying to take the lid off a peanut butter container or something. Maybe a dyed-in-the-wool Ford guy can tell me what the proper lingo for it is? My car was blue and when I got it it has been replaced with a 302
06 Chev MonteC JG#24tribute car 30mpg 00 Honda Insight 63MPG 98 Buick Park Ave3.8 33MPG 89 Toyota Corolla wag 53MPG so far 81 VW Rabbit diesel pu 50MPG+ 80 Mercedes 240D stick 30-ish 90 vette 6-speed,29ish 07 Honda ST1300 55MPG 83 Honda 650 GL 64MPG 19 Suzuki dr200 88MPG23 HondaGrom?+Tow K10D Sub 26mpg NEVER,NEVER GIVE UP!
PUMP THOSE TIRES UP!
DRIVE IN YOUR SOCKS FOR SENSITIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SLOW DOWN AND SMOOTH UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![SIGPIC]
Old 04-28-2022, 08:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
What officer usually normally checks a car out from the front?
I was driving the Notchback between Wilsonville and Tualatiin in the twilight and met a patrol car. He turned around and followed me because the tags were out of date. I was always amazed at his apparent eyesight.

Looking at the picture, the green tag is apparent but IIRC that was the new tag. All I know is I can't read the tags on cars I meet.

Old 04-28-2022, 09:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Once a cousin of mine was confrontated by a cop for going slower than usual, even though she was within the minimum speed limit for that stretch of an avenue. On a sidenote, the cop even questioned if she had drunk prior.
Old 04-29-2022, 01:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I was driving the Notchback between Wilsonville and Tualatiin in the twilight and met a patrol car. He turned around and followed me because the tags were out of date. I was always amazed at his apparent eyesight.

Looking at the picture, the green tag is apparent but IIRC that was the new tag. All I know is I can't read the tags on cars I meet.
Kate brown put out an order during Covid times to not allow cops to go for expired plates or stickers. Was part of the allowing missing rent payments thing too. Don’t know if the license plate thing has expired yet. My stickers are covered from my license plate from because Oregon is like the only state who puts its stickers at the bottom of the plates versus the top

Reply  Post New Thread