Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2019, 12:36 PM   #391 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel
 
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Posts: 7,566
Thanks: 0
Thanked 786 Times in 695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Brazil has been Euro V since 2012.
I remember. There was a lot of controversy regarding the SCR system.


Quote:
Mexico just switched to Euro V in July (That was my project) but they are scheduled to quickly jumping to Euro 6 in 2021 (if the new president doesn’t delay it)
It's quite surprising to me that Mexico took that long to implement Euro-5, not only because some commercial vehicles similar to the ones available in Brazil were already Euro-5 but also due to the NAFTA and some technical similarities between other models and their U.S.-spec counterparts which would be supposed to render it more cost-effective to keep the compliance to American regulations.

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 09-28-2019, 12:45 PM   #392 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Everett WA
Posts: 508
Thanks: 67
Thanked 165 Times in 125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Bob View Post
That is why turbines remain less efficient than diesels.
I was talking about airplane jet engines. Eventually high-bypass turbo-fans boosted jet engine efficiency without excess temperature & nitrogen oxide pollution productions.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:47 PM   #393 (permalink)
Not Doug
 
Xist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Show Low, AZ
Posts: 9,008

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 35.24 mpg (US)
Thanks: 6,090
Thanked 1,724 Times in 1,301 Posts
Double-post?

What does sic mean when my sister yells "Sic Xist!" and they cuddle with me?
__________________
"The way to get a good answer on the Internet is not to post a question, but to post a wrong answer."
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:49 PM   #394 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Bicycle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: N. Saskatchewan, CA
Posts: 1,563

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
Thanks: 73
Thanked 313 Times in 223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by litesong View Post
I was talking about airplane jet engines. Eventually high-bypass turbo-fans boosted jet engine efficiency without excess temperatures & nitrogen oxide pollution production.
Jet engines did benefit from better alloys and now ceramics, but the main benefit of the turbo fan is that it is more efficient at propulsion than a pure jet, because it grabs more air and thus stays out of the nasty end of the Froude calculations. It is better to push on stuff that is not already moving backwards instead of pushing harder, because you have to "shift to a higher gear" to do it, and that costs some of your push, just as a higher gear gives less torque at the axle.
__________________
There is no excuse for a land vehicle to weigh more than its average payload.
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bicycle Bob For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (09-28-2019)
Old 09-28-2019, 01:42 PM   #395 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Everett WA
Posts: 508
Thanks: 67
Thanked 165 Times in 125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Bob View Post
There is no excuse for a land vehicle to weigh more than its average payload.
In 2009 a Hyundai dealer sold Accents for $14,000. Yes, I said Accents because two Accents sold for $14,000. But, as you say, the Accents weighed more than their payloads.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 01:58 PM   #396 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
freebeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: northwest of normal
Posts: 15,308
Thanks: 3,884
Thanked 5,097 Times in 4,058 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Bob
There is no excuse for a land vehicle to weigh more than its average payload.
My 1961 Type II panelvan weighed 1750lb (same as a Beetle) and had 3/4 ton axles. It had a good stance with a half-cord of firewood in it.

Quote:
Do you go into the back community and point out the errors of their dialect?
Is it Okay to make fun of them? Asking for an autist.
__________________
.
old sailor talk on Reddit:
"If your in the water, your in the food chain.
....and you're no longer at the top."

_________________
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Hersbird (09-28-2019)
Old 09-28-2019, 02:15 PM   #397 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 2,048

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touareg TDI Sport AWD
90 day: 25.81 mpg (US)
Thanks: 165
Thanked 845 Times in 583 Posts
Now see that's a error worth pointing out. Did I just miss an 'L' and ment 'black'. Maybe I meant 'back woods' like Appalachian Americans? Either way it is wrong to think their dialect is incorrect. Making fun of people used to be OK, but now you have to be part of the group so it's self deprecating. I have all these wasted leprosy jokes just waiting to drop. A big reason I'm an anti-vaxxer.
__________________

  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
freebeard (09-28-2019)
Old 09-28-2019, 03:31 PM   #398 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
freebeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: northwest of normal
Posts: 15,308
Thanks: 3,884
Thanked 5,097 Times in 4,058 Posts
I appreciate that but you must be careful.
Quote:
Making fun of people used to be OK, but now you have to be part of the group so it's self deprecating.
The O-acronym used to be Okay, but the ADL are SOBs.
__________________
.
old sailor talk on Reddit:
"If your in the water, your in the food chain.
....and you're no longer at the top."

_________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:50 PM   #399 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
freebeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: northwest of normal
Posts: 15,308
Thanks: 3,884
Thanked 5,097 Times in 4,058 Posts
Quote:
redpoint5 babbles .... so employees do NOT get their just medical rewards.
Wut?

Isn't this about a deathwatch? Then how about a little of this? A Datsun Truck That Handles Like a Miata, Because it IS a Miata (kind of) Joined in progress after an ad and some hooning.
__________________
.
old sailor talk on Reddit:
"If your in the water, your in the food chain.
....and you're no longer at the top."

_________________
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Xist (09-29-2019)
Old 09-29-2019, 11:42 PM   #400 (permalink)
Master procastinator
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Panelia, Finland
Posts: 229

Avenger - '98 Toyota Avensis T22 stw 4A-FE
90 day: 35.19 mpg (US)

Sportig - '15 Kia Sportage 2.0crdi 4x4
Thanks: 78
Thanked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Wut?

Isn't this about a deathwatch? Then how about a little of this? A Datsun Truck That Handles Like a Miata, Because it IS a Miata (kind of) Joined in progress after an ad and some hooning.
I want that truck. Because of reasons. It probably would end up curled around a lamp post, though.

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com