Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW Ohio, United States
Posts: 2,017

Snow White and the 6.2 Dwarfs - '11 Chevrolet Corvette LT2
Last 3: 26.46 mpg (US)

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Thanks: 981
Thanked 383 Times in 279 Posts
Specific Side Splitters:Do you think these may assist MPG?

Hey guys, I am getting a lot done on my vehicle, and was wondering if this could be of ANY assistance at all.

Mustang Splitter, LH&RH Side (2010-2013)

I don't think it will do that much, other than a little on cross winds, and maybe assisting as a tire spat. I was hoping you guys could give me any input at all, thanks for the help

__________________





Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 07-13-2012, 01:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
euromodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Belgium
Posts: 4,683

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Thanks: 178
Thanked 649 Times in 514 Posts
Do they extend down , or just sideways ?

Sideskirts that extend down do help in keeping more air under the car - rather than having it spill out sideways between the wheels - guiding it into the wake. They also reduce the turbulence aft of the front wheels.
Obviously they work best with a belly pan in place.
__________________
Strayed to the Dark Diesel Side

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW Ohio, United States
Posts: 2,017

Snow White and the 6.2 Dwarfs - '11 Chevrolet Corvette LT2
Last 3: 26.46 mpg (US)

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Thanks: 981
Thanked 383 Times in 279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Do they extend down , or just sideways ?

Sideskirts that extend down do help in keeping more air under the car - rather than having it spill out sideways between the wheels - guiding it into the wake. They also reduce the turbulence aft of the front wheels.
Obviously they work best with a belly pan in place.
Searching a few pages into google, an individual mentioned that they were informed it assist, but I do not know how credible it is, the dealer might have been full of b s. They look like they drop down about an inch, and would work to smooth the air from hitting the rear tire, and keeping it from underneath the vehicle.

I have read that if one was directly above them, they do not actually come out from the side of the vehicle, it just appears that way from the side.

From my research, it seems like there IS a benefit, but the benefit might be measured by .01 USD per tank of fuel lol
__________________





Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 13,041
Thanks: 20,895
Thanked 6,373 Times in 3,958 Posts
Any

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
Hey guys, I am getting a lot done on my vehicle, and was wondering if this could be of ANY assistance at all.

Mustang Splitter, LH&RH Side (2010-2013)

I don't think it will do that much, other than a little on cross winds, and maybe assisting as a tire spat. I was hoping you guys could give me any input at all, thanks for the help
If it's from Roush it's probably been thoroughly run through the ringer.
Lois Duncan used to be Roush's aero guy,may still be.
Louis is an aeronautical guy from University of Oklahoma and has been doing things for decades.
The splitter isn't dimensionally 'large' so It may not do a 'lot' aerodynamically,and Roush doesn't appear to make any claims other than aesthetics.
You'll have to make the call.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Sven7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Warren, MI
Posts: 2,456

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Thanks: 782
Thanked 665 Times in 408 Posts
You're not going to make back any money. Think of them as cosmetic upgrades.
__________________
He gave me a dollar. A blood-soaked dollar.
I cannot get the spot out but it's okay; It still works in the store
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: ATL (stuck in traffic)
Posts: 104

Bertha - '16 Mercedes Benz Metris
Thanks: 23
Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
^that. Not worth the money, unless you like the look.
__________________
RETIRED
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW Ohio, United States
Posts: 2,017

Snow White and the 6.2 Dwarfs - '11 Chevrolet Corvette LT2
Last 3: 26.46 mpg (US)

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Thanks: 981
Thanked 383 Times in 279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If it's from Roush it's probably been thoroughly run through the ringer.
Lois Duncan used to be Roush's aero guy,may still be.
Louis is an aeronautical guy from University of Oklahoma and has been doing things for decades.
The splitter isn't dimensionally 'large' so It may not do a 'lot' aerodynamically,and Roush doesn't appear to make any claims other than aesthetics.
You'll have to make the call.
I don't know if it will be worth it, by looks I mean. I am just hoping there is at least SOME benefit. I'm concerned about mileage over the long haul, not really trying to save money in a month or year. I noticed there were no claims on the site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
You're not going to make back any money. Think of them as cosmetic upgrades.
Bah! I hope it looks good, then lol
__________________





Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 130

TBD - '17 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 34 mpg (US)
Thanks: 92
Thanked 108 Times in 46 Posts
Horizontal side skirts were used on IMSA GTP cars for years with the sole intent to generate downforce. The idea was that a very strong vortex was shed off them as they transitioned across the edge of the side splitter heading towards the tunnels. The vortex would then locally increase the tunnel flow velocity and viola, more downforce. But, they came with a penalty: drag. For a car that generated upwards of 10,000 lbs downforce the drag they added was well worth if to push L/D towards 6:1 (and plus, if you have 800-900 hp, you ALWAYS turn HP into DF).

Thus they were designed to work with a very well developed underfloor with the sole intent on decreasing lap times through increased downforce.

I can only think they'd add drag to a low-drag (desired) eco-mobile.

If you had a wind tunnel and time, you might be able to work the vortex to coincide with the rear tire wake in hopes of collapsing it. But it would take very methodical testing.

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com