Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #21 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: nowhere
Posts: 533
Thanks: 31
Thanked 86 Times in 69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme1969 View Post
How that same Malibu would fare against a 59 caddi with the bullet bumper.
The '59 Caddy didn't have much of a bullet bumper nose. link

Bullet bumpers were an earlier design, more like 1953. link

Oh, and the REAR end of the '53 also had bumper bullets. link
Those were the good old days.


Last edited by XYZ; 09-13-2013 at 10:09 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 09-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #22 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: nowhere
Posts: 533
Thanks: 31
Thanked 86 Times in 69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
If you did not waste your time watching the video:
It's like skydiving - nothing bad will happen until you hit the ground.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #23 (permalink)
Not Doug
 
Xist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Show Low, AZ
Posts: 7,502

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 38.53 mpg (US)
Thanks: 4,725
Thanked 1,433 Times in 1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
It's like skydiving - nothing bad will happen until you hit the ground.
Yes, but if you miss the ground, then you learn to fly, like Arthur Dent.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #24 (permalink)
EtOH
 
Allch Chcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: North Coast, California
Posts: 429

Cordelia - '15 Mazda Mazda3 i Sport
90 day: 37.83 mpg (US)
Thanks: 72
Thanked 33 Times in 24 Posts
The biggest issue as speed, or velocity if you wish, is reaction time goes down. The ancillary concerns are fuel economy, road wear and tear(especially with semi's), and safety standards. Most cars are designed to handle impacts closer to 35mph. The cost to increase their safety to 55mph is exponential. And the severity of the crash is going to be worse as speeds increase.

Remember when semis were limited to 55mph? If a semi hits you at anything past 35, there is only so much that engineering can compensate. Just remember that semis have a stopping distance several times that of the stereotyped SUV.
__________________
-Allch Chcar

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:24 PM   #25 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: nowhere
Posts: 533
Thanks: 31
Thanked 86 Times in 69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Yes, but if you miss the ground, then you learn to fly, like Arthur Dent.
I needed to Google Arthur Dent to find out who he was.

Did he ever hit the ground? If so, did he leave a dent?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:36 PM   #26 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: nowhere
Posts: 533
Thanks: 31
Thanked 86 Times in 69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
The biggest issue as speed, or velocity if you wish, is reaction time goes down. The ancillary concerns are fuel economy, road wear and tear(especially with semi's), and safety standards. Most cars are designed to handle impacts closer to 35mph. The cost to increase their safety to 55mph is exponential. And the severity of the crash is going to be worse as speeds increase.

Remember when semis were limited to 55mph? If a semi hits you at anything past 35, there is only so much that engineering can compensate. Just remember that semis have a stopping distance several times that of the stereotyped SUV.
So - if we were to reduce the speed limit to 35 MPH or less on all roads, hardly anyone would ever be killed in a crash, right?

Let's do it. It would save lives, wouldn't it? Why not do it?

Better yet, let's lower the universal speed limit to 21 and raise the drinking age to 55.

Then no one would die, right?

Are you familiar with the Eighteenth Amendment?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:40 AM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philippines
Posts: 2,150
Thanks: 1,633
Thanked 571 Times in 389 Posts
Well, considering cars are only crash-tested and certified to 45 mph, the chances of people dying become very, very small indeed, unless two cars going 35 hit each other head on... with unbelted passengers.

The reason we don't do any of those things, though, is a very low speed limit would be detrimental to the economy. Time is money, and below a certain speed, you're sacrificing money for safety.

While people view the government as a safety Nazi, there's a good reason that ejector seats and parachutes for each passenger aren't mandatory for airliners... the amount of risk reduction and death prevention doesn't outweigh the costs.

Last edited by niky; 09-15-2013 at 02:01 AM..
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to niky For This Useful Post:
Allch Chcar (09-16-2013)
Old 09-15-2013, 02:05 AM   #28 (permalink)
Not Doug
 
Xist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Show Low, AZ
Posts: 7,502

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 38.53 mpg (US)
Thanks: 4,725
Thanked 1,433 Times in 1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
I needed to Google Arthur Dent to find out who he was.

Did he ever hit the ground? If so, did he leave a dent?
Sorry, sometimes I am too obscure. I do not remember the plot of that novel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
So - if we were to reduce the speed limit to 35 MPH or less on all roads, hardly anyone would ever be killed in a crash, right?

Let's do it. It would save lives, wouldn't it? Why not do it?

Better yet, let's lower the universal speed limit to 21 and raise the drinking age to 55.

Then no one would die, right?

Are you familiar with the Eighteenth Amendment?
Don't make me look it up! I never remember which is the one to not incriminating myself or whatever! I just plead all of them!

I follow your argument like most people follow the speed limit.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
euromodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Belgium
Posts: 4,600

GasDwarf - '13 Volkswagen up! EcoFuel CNG
Thanks: 168
Thanked 600 Times in 475 Posts
Speed is the main causal factor in only about 3 to 5% of all accidents.

The effective speed limits in Belgium are lower than in the Netherlands, Germany, France or the UK (though they allow about 6 mph less on motorways).
Yet our road death toll is about double of what these countries have.

Germany has its unlimited autobahn - though that's getting more and more limited these days - and allows 100kph outside villages.
Yet it's still amongst the safest countries in the world ...

There's simply no relation between the allowed speeds, and the road death toll.
__________________
GasDwarf's fuel consumption :
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #30 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: nowhere
Posts: 533
Thanks: 31
Thanked 86 Times in 69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post

Don't make me look it up! I never remember which is the one to not incriminating myself or whatever! I just plead all of them!
Here's a clue: The Eighteenth Amendment is the one that was repealed.

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com