Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2014, 05:30 AM   #41 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 97

Asphault Camo - retired - '05 Honda Civic SE
90 day: 35.81 mpg (US)

Asphault Camo Kid hauler - '98 Honda Odyssey LX
90 day: 24.33 mpg (US)
Thanks: 35
Thanked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Thumbs up what did you do for the kill switch?

Well done!

Is there any news? Can you expand on what method you used for kill switch? (I have the same era Civic.) Why that was the largest fuel efficiency gain? That kind of information is invaluable, especially for those of us who have other input into any changes to the aesthetics.

Cheers,
Benphyr.

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 08-20-2014, 09:56 AM   #42 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Austin,Texas
Posts: 14

A.J. - '04 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 41.47 mpg (US)

bruce - '08 Kawasaki Ninja 650 R
90 day: 46.52 mpg (US)

Big Blue - '09 Ford F-150 LX
90 day: 17.33 mpg (US)

dr - '13 Kawasaki DR650
90 day: 55.32 mpg (US)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 64 Times in 9 Posts
I followed this guy's work. It explains which wire to cut. For me it does not trip any codes or immobilizer.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...s-22602-4.html

The kill switch advantage will depend on speed and terrain. Driving through hilly areas is effective because on a long downhill slope you can kill it and coast, I do it at all speeds. EOCing in 0-50 mph speeds is also effective because the wind drag is smaller compared to inertial forces and you can coast for longer distances. anything above this speed and you will tend to decelerate to much to be effective. It takes practice to get a feel for the proper time to kill it.
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bs25942 For This Useful Post:
j12piprius (09-17-2014)
Old 08-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #43 (permalink)
.........................
 
darcane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Buckley, WA
Posts: 1,572

Ninja 650R - '06 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
90 day: 52.02 mpg (US)

B*tch - '01 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 38.09 mpg (US)

Ms. Hyde - '06 Cadillac CTS V
Sports Cars
90 day: 16.93 mpg (US)
Thanks: 365
Thanked 472 Times in 306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs25942 View Post
I followed this guy's work. It explains which wire to cut. For me it does not trip any codes or immobilizer.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...s-22602-4.html

The kill switch advantage will depend on speed and terrain. Driving through hilly areas is effective because on a long downhill slope you can kill it and coast, I do it at all speeds. EOCing in 0-50 mph speeds is also effective because the wind drag is smaller compared to inertial forces and you can coast for longer distances. anything above this speed and you will tend to decelerate to much to be effective. It takes practice to get a feel for the proper time to kill it.
Sweet! I'm a "This Guy" now! :P

That's about how I use it too. You likely get longer coasts though with your streamlining. I do use it at higher speeds regularly, but the coasts are fairly short.
__________________
CTS-V


Past Cars:
2001 Civic HX Mods

2003 Silverado Mods
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:20 PM   #44 (permalink)
Tyrant-at-large
 
Vman455's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 1,052

Little Red - retired - '05 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 49.03 mpg (US)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
90 day: 53.98 mpg (US)
Thanks: 96
Thanked 875 Times in 440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
Sweet! I'm a "This Guy" now! :P

That's about how I use it too. You likely get longer coasts though with your streamlining. I do use it at higher speeds regularly, but the coasts are fairly short.
That turned out to be a useful thread...I wonder how many 7th gens are running around now with kill switches?
__________________

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:11 AM   #45 (permalink)
Thalmaturge
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The edge of nowhere
Posts: 670

Go Pod - '00 Honda Insight AC

The Tinyvan - '07 Honda Fit Sport

Spicy Italian - '13 Fiat 500 Abarth
Thanks: 289
Thanked 299 Times in 207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
That turned out to be a useful thread...I wonder how many 7th gens are running around now with kill switches?
Mine is, but it's a little fancier .

Imac&c hch1 civic - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:09 PM   #46 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Edwardsville, IL
Posts: 2

Silver HCH - '12 Honda Civic Hybrid
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoBallin View Post
It's so weird that I just read this. Im 20, and had an interview for a Mechanical Engineereing co-op that I really wanted last week. During the interview, car modification was brought up, and I talked about my Echo a little. He seemed surprised that someone my age was messing with a car for mpg. I ended up getting the co-op too!
EchoBallin, are you the Toyota Echo that I have seen running around Edwardsville in the past
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:54 PM   #47 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 28

MPG Beater - '02 Toyota Echo
Team Toyota
90 day: 44.79 mpg (US)

One Fresh Dime - '01 Chevrolet S10 LS
90 day: 27.91 mpg (US)
Thanks: 11
Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by decksi View Post
EchoBallin, are you the Toyota Echo that I have seen running around Edwardsville in the past
Haha, yes I am! I go to SIUE, just not this semester because of my co-op. Are you going to SIUE or no?
__________________

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:51 PM   #48 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Edwardsville, IL
Posts: 2

Silver HCH - '12 Honda Civic Hybrid
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoBallin View Post
Haha, yes I am! I go to SIUE, just not this semester because of my co-op. Are you going to SIUE or no?
No, I am not at SIUE. I just live in Edwardsville. But funny-thing is that I am a Mechanical Engineer and am working with a SIUE Mechanical Engineering Student too.

When I saw your car I knew that you had to be on the Ecomodder forum. Anyway, good luck with your co-op.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:54 PM   #49 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 28

MPG Beater - '02 Toyota Echo
Team Toyota
90 day: 44.79 mpg (US)

One Fresh Dime - '01 Chevrolet S10 LS
90 day: 27.91 mpg (US)
Thanks: 11
Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by decksi View Post
No, I am not at SIUE. I just live in Edwardsville. But funny-thing is that I am a Mechanical Engineer and am working with a SIUE Mechanical Engineering Student too.

When I saw your car I knew that you had to be on the Ecomodder forum. Anyway, good luck with your co-op.
Very cool! It's great to know that there's some locals on here. Haha, yeah, once I leave campus, I stick out pretty bad among the generally posh driving population of edwardsville. And thank you!
__________________

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:20 PM   #50 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Jakins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 252

hX-TREME!!! - '97 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 54.75 mpg (US)

450sX-TREME!!! - '95 Nissan V8 240sx

chodercycle - '06 kawasaki ninja zx6r 636
Thanks: 18
Thanked 42 Times in 23 Posts
Holly crap, I have been away to long. Man I'm pumped we found the owner of that car. But also mad that I probably don't get the best f.e. In Austin anymore. Fml. I drove past this dude in my 10 mpg v8 240sx and wanted to talk to him but I was afraid he would think I was just trolling when I told him I had a 60 mpg civic too lol.


Last edited by Jakins; 09-11-2014 at 11:19 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com