Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Okay here was my test rig, i went to the junkyard and got a main relay connector, plugged that into the main relay, on the other end I crimped spade connectors and inserted those into the cars main relay plug.

I started the car and reved the engine up to about 4,000rpm and then disconnected one wire at a time. Every wire except the blue will shut the car off. Some of them will just shut the fuel pump off and the engine will continue to run and slowly sputter to a stop.

Any wire that instantly shut the car off also shuts off the fuel pump. I checked by having my digital multi meter connected to the fuel pump, and when you would disconnect a wire like the black ground wire, the engine shut off and there was no voltage to the fuel pump.

I wanted to disconnect the power wire that feeds each injector, except I did not feel like hacking into my engine wire harness. Someday maybe i'll do that, but for now i'm going to do the relay switch.

SO, I totally agree that putting the switch on the ground wire is the best idea. Hopefully somebody that is curious if the fuel pump gets shut off will benefit from my testing.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Hey California, did you get that push button switch at a store or online? My local auto parts places and hardware stores don't have any switches like that. I went to the junkyard and found an auto gear shifter just like yours from a 98 Civic EX. Copying is the highest form of flattery right?
Old 04-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The 'Vic - '96 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 39.3 mpg (US)
I have been thinking about a normally-closed push-button mounted in one of the blanks where the power mirror adjustment switch usually lives in fancier civics. Push to coast. I wanted to snag a big red or black one like you see in an old arcade machine for a clean install. There are two small blanks and a larger one. I would like for that to become my Eco control panel. Have the fuel cutoff and adjacent an alternator disconnect toggle.

Civic Build Thread
Your grammar is appreciated.

3.788 Civic CX final drive, air dam, 1st gen HCH 14" wheels and Michelin Defender 175/65R14 LRR tires
Old 04-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #34 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffen707 View Post
Hey California, did you get that push button switch at a store or online? My local auto parts places and hardware stores don't have any switches like that.
I bought it in a brick-n-mortar store, not online. But I was out of town and don't remember the store name, sorry.

Quote:
I went to the junkyard and found an auto gear shifter just like yours from a 98 Civic EX.
That's cool. You saved mucho cash then, probably. I was impatiently unwilling to search the yards. Impatience, like inexperience, always leads to lost cash in these projects, I have found.

Quote:
Copying is the highest form of flattery right?
Yes indeedy, but be careful what you copy, 'cause sometimes I have little idea what I'm doing!! hahaha!
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I DID IT! I copied your push button setup, but I had to buy a smaller normally closed push button switch off ebay. I was worried about its amperage capacity but it hasn't been a problem yet.

I'll post some pictures tonight if you don't mind. I'm not thread jacking, just adding another option to the readers.

I'm guessing bump starting the car uses less gas than with the starter, but have you read/noticed/found any info about how much more fuel is used with the starter?

I've just started my P&G efforts, and so far its amazing how well it can work.

I can get 70+mpg in certain warm engine city only trips where I could only get 50-60mpg previously.

The example i've read a lot is if you can pulse at more than half your cruise mpg, and pulse for the same time as your coast, you will be better off.

What i'm finding on the limited testing i've done, is that I can pulse for 5 seconds (from 25mph to 35mph) and glide for 20-25 seconds back down to 25mph.

So even though i'm only getting 17-22 mpg pulsing in 3rd or 4th at relatively high throttle, I'm gliding for 4-5 times my pulse, giving me like 85-137.5mpg spread depending if its 17mpg for 4 times length, or 22mpg for 5 times length.

PRETTY AMAZING STUFF. Of course I need to hone my skills a bit, but i'm glad I did the mod.

Now my only concern is all this engine off electrical use. I think its draining my battery.....probably causing long term harm to it.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:54 AM   #36 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
I'll post some pictures tonight if you don't mind. I'm not thread jacking, just adding another option to the readers.
You're on your way into the wonderful world of pulse and glide. I don't think the bump start uses really any significant extra power, other than the slight rev up you get when you get a good "spin" on the bump sometimes. The starter definitely draws some juice, which will ultimately have to be restored to the battery by the alternator.

Post pics! Would love to see them.

james
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #37 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
What i'm finding on the limited testing i've done, is that I can pulse for 5 seconds (from 25mph to 35mph) and glide for 20-25 seconds back down to 25mph.

So even though i'm only getting 17-22 mpg pulsing in 3rd or 4th at relatively high throttle, I'm gliding for 4-5 times my pulse, giving me like 85-137.5mpg spread depending if its 17mpg for 4 times length, or 22mpg for 5 times length.

PRETTY AMAZING STUFF. Of course I need to hone my skills a bit, but i'm glad I did the mod.

Now my only concern is all this engine off electrical use. I think its draining my battery.....probably causing long term harm to it.
That's the ticket! The magic is in the glide.

I have a trickle charger that I plug in every night to maintain the battery. I ate up 2 batteries in 2 years before it. With the charger the next battery lasted 3 years. I'm in Texas so the heat is hard on them as well.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 04-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I'm guessing bump starting the car uses less gas than with the starter, but have you read/noticed/found any info about how much more fuel is used with the starter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
I don't think the bump start uses really any significant extra power, other than the slight rev up you get when you get a good "spin" on the bump sometimes. The starter definitely draws some juice, which will ultimately have to be restored to the battery by the alternator.
I wasn't as concerned about the electricity that the starter uses, but more about the gasoline spent to fire the engine back up. I figure that bump starting uses less fuel than using the starter. But has any info been gathered about how much fuel is used to start an engine?

Or like how many seconds at idle is equal to starting an engine? Kinda like, if you idle for more than 5 seconds its always better to shut the engine off and restart it to use less fuel?
Old 04-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #39 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
We've found a couple external studies that range from 7 to 15 seconds of idle fuel for a key start.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 04-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
That's the ticket! The magic is in the glide.

I have a trickle charger that I plug in every night to maintain the battery. I ate up 2 batteries in 2 years before it. With the charger the next battery lasted 3 years. I'm in Texas so the heat is hard on them as well.
That's what I was going to do. I bought a harbor freight on board 1.5amp maintainer for $15 last year. Hooked it up to my crv for the winter, as I only drive that once a few weeks. WORKED FLAWLESSLY. Middle of winter after not driving it for a month, freezing cold, the car fired right up.

Anyways, i bought another one and am going to hook it up to my econobox as well.

I'll post pics shortly.

Reply  Post New Thread