Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2022, 05:02 PM   #21 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
I think there just isn't a production EV for someone who's a motorhead type of car enthusiast. Valve sizes and intake port shapes and rod lenghts, firing orders, flat vs cross plane, exhaust sounds... What on a production EV could take those same things when we don't even know how many poles are on the stator and if they are wired in a delta or wye configuration? I find the design of electric motors and controllers fascinating. But on production EV's today these specs are nearly impossible to find. You look up the specs and other than voltage and kWhs, most of it is how much power, acceleration and charging time. What's the gear ratio? What kind of transistors are they using for PWM? Could we at least have a picture? Some full teardown and rebuild videos? Any mods? Can I add a few windings to get more torque? Make take a few away and increase top speed?
Plenty of people are modifying EVs - it just takes a different set of skills.

When I first got interested in EVs it was White Zombie and Killacycle. Custom wound motors and homemade battery packs. There is no reason you couldn't do that today.

Today it is mostly people hacking into software to change performance like this plug and play options to add 50 or 150 hp to a Model 3.
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-mode...-boost-module/

The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (03-19-2022)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-19-2022, 07:59 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
It's totally different today, with OEM components that are a fraction of the cost with better quality.

As Jack Rikard used to say 'as long as they plant trees in Brooklyn, people will run into them [with their EV]'. I just checked their catalog. They still distribute the Quaife LSD

www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=475
Quote:
This product was added to our catalog on Tuesday 31 October, 2017.
Quaife Limited Slip Differential for Tesla Model S Drive Unit - LSD
Price: $2,990.00
The Quaife LSD is the perfect compliment to your Tesla powered conversion, or even your stock Model S. This bolt in LSD was specifically designed for the larger Tesla drive unit (both P and Base), and Quaife has been an industry leader in LSD's for over 65 years.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (03-20-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 07:18 PM   #23 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Pix but no performance figures.
Looks strange, and I'd be quite concerned about the fire hazard in an aircraft, not to mention the risks inherent to some chemicals applied through aerial cropdusting. On a sidenote it's easy to estimate steam power for aicraft might not be so suitable to higher speeds, as it could eventually extinguish the fire at the boiler.
Old 03-22-2022, 10:03 AM   #24 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Nobody has custom built an EV motor that I know of. Will stuff like that ever be a thing?

Will people be moding their EV's? What level of control will people have on their driving experience.
Mizlplix, ivan and Ripperton over on DIYELECTRICCAR.com did custom motors, with Rippertons being an axial flux. Looking at the discussions, it is extremely complicated getting the details exactly right for the non-EE, and the motor rebuild people who do this for a living just use rules of thumb which are old and established in the 1900's.

Of course people will be modding their ride, however the low hanging fruit is already plucked in EV's and your control.over parameters is dependent on your interest.
Old 03-22-2022, 03:49 PM   #25 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Mizlplix, ivan and Ripperton over on DIYELECTRICCAR.com did custom motors, with Rippertons being an axial flux. Looking at the discussions, it is extremely complicated getting the details exactly right for the non-EE, and the motor rebuild people who do this for a living just use rules of thumb which are old and established in the 1900's.

Of course people will be modding their ride, however the low hanging fruit is already plucked in EV's and your control.over parameters is dependent on your interest.
But that's the kind of thing that takes away from the customizability and "fun" in that aspect. An ICE you can add a header, a turbo, an intake, even without opening the engine. Even just a muffler swap can make it different.

On an EV you can't do much without getting into very deep stuff. So your EV ends up being the exact same as someone else's.
Old 03-22-2022, 05:39 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
On an EV you can't do much without getting into very deep stuff. So your EV ends up being the exact same as someone else's.
Graft an Arcimoto Platform 1.x battery box monocoque onto a VW Beetle chassis to completely replace the Beetle's backbone. The Arcimoto drivetrain is centered on the rear axleline. Steering is either locked or 4WS. Drive is reversed.

I'd be out hunting for another one of those.

Old 03-23-2022, 10:30 AM   #27 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Quote:

Haven't seen many 1988 EV Rangers, so I can't say. Most have FLA so the first mod is to swap to lithium, and there's a sh**pot load of customization stuff since the basic platform didn't change until the 5 th generations.

I myself toy with slamming it because the aero looks promising and I can still get the parts. Cfo is undecided on funding requests, but I am not sure I can get in and out.
Old 03-28-2022, 10:41 PM   #28 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
But that's the kind of thing that takes away from the customizability and "fun" in that aspect. An ICE you can add a header, a turbo, an intake, even without opening the engine. Even just a muffler swap can make it different.

That's a good point. Well, while even an austere ICE can be rendered fun with such mods, maybe an electric motor could only become somewhat fun when adapted to another platform, in a way which may resemble how a V8 into some chopped Ford Model T or Model A did...
Old 03-29-2022, 10:33 AM   #29 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

I dunno. For starters there are various winding schemes and power inputs. As an example the differences between series DC and SEPEX. Then you add multiphase AC vs DC, Axial flux, magnets vs windings. Kinda like the traditional arguments in fuel power: which produces the best power result for the application. Power transfer gets next: I can't see any reason to have a CVT in an electric car since my torque is constant if I stay ahead of back Emf but that is better answered by @oilpan4 (seeing if this site's organized like the others)

Finally: the EV response to MOAR POWER has been to increase watt inputs to the point of zorching the motor. Hmmm Just like regular motors, but different "fuel"

You don't need huge quantities of batteries unless you want lots of range

Hmm this makes me wonder what a diameter increase on my Kostov would gain me, particularly if I increase from 8" rotor to say perhaps 20" and yes I know that means a whole new motor

Last edited by Piotrsko; 03-29-2022 at 10:38 AM..
Old 03-30-2022, 08:58 PM   #30 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
You don't need huge quantities of batteries unless you want lots of range
Or such EV has an overall more efficient design, at all. Just look at how a Lotus Seven may eventually outperform grand tourers with a much larger engine at some tracks.

Reply  Post New Thread