Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2017, 05:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Steel alloy wheels?

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a full list of steel + alloys and their mpg?

I'm considering hardening (like this) too but I'm not sure if it would add more weight :/ Does anyone here know?

Last edited by hotwheel; 12-14-2017 at 10:50 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-12-2017, 06:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
You're trying to compare the fuel difference between steel and aluminum(alloy) wheels, is that correct?

If so, you can get aluminum wheels that weigh more than their steel counterparts, so you might actually be worse off running aluminum wheels. Lighter wheels will use less energy to accelerate and braking will take more energy to stop them. Cruising at the same speed and there won't be any notable fuel use difference.

And then there's the actual shape of the wheel/spokes and how it affects air flow. If they're acting as big fans, they're going to put more drag on the car than if they were smooth/flat and did not.

Its not as simple as saying aluminum (alloy) wheels give better MPGs than steel.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stubby79 For This Useful Post:
mcrews (12-14-2017), Xist (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 07:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
Impossible to do a direct mpg comparison without controlling for other factors. For instance, on my car, "heavy" 20lb steel wheels would deliver identical highway economy to the featherweight 11lb factory alloys, so long as a smooth hubcap was installed - weight is almost irrelevant on the highway. My 12lb spoked winter alloys would almost certainly be worse on the highway since they're not aerodynamic in the least. And, given that different vehicles cut through the air differently, how smooth the wheels are will have more or less impact depending on what vehicle they're installed on. Even the speed you drive will vary the relative impact.

My light factory alloys have the least inertia, meaning it takes the least energy to get moving in stop and go traffic, but in some cases weight isn't a negative - you coast farther, meaning in "pulse and glide" you're going to be keeping the engine off a lot longer.

That said, lighter wheels are generally better. You get braking/acceleration/cornering/handling benefits if nothing else. But, you can't just compare total wheel mass - those rims with the weight more toward the outer edge will have higher inertia (feel heavier) even if they weight the same sitting on a scale.

Last edited by Ecky; 12-12-2017 at 08:02 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
elhigh (12-12-2017), mcrews (12-14-2017), Xist (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 09:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
^^ Came here to say this, esp. the part about inertial behavior of the wheel not being dependent on it weighing the same.

Ecky, it's hard for me to look at your car and not covet it just a little.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to elhigh For This Useful Post:
Ecky (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 09:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
It's a clean machine.

It's been covered except for rim diameter/aspect ratio. The comparisons I did suggest aluminum weight approximates rubber, both lighter than steel. So a low aspect ratio tire on a steel rim will have [marginally] more rotational inertia.

Just go for Mugens:

https://deebee8ahh.wordpress.com/2010/03/16/sweet-old-mugen-wheels/

Aero with good brake cooling.

Else 944/928 manhole covers;

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/for...s/32765/page1/

Old 12-13-2017, 06:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
It had to be about the cooling; I looked at that and thought, Dang, that looks like a fan clutch has been made into a wheel.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Centrifugal force rules.

The caps didn't survive well, You can see fastener to the southeast has failed.

I don't how they help cooling. They must put thermal paste under the lug nuts.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Impossible to do a direct mpg comparison without controlling for other factors. For instance, on my car, "heavy" 20lb steel wheels would deliver identical highway economy to the featherweight 11lb factory alloys, so long as a smooth hubcap was installed - weight is almost irrelevant on the highway. My 12lb spoked winter alloys would almost certainly be worse on the highway since they're not aerodynamic in the least. And, given that different vehicles cut through the air differently, how smooth the wheels are will have more or less impact depending on what vehicle they're installed on. Even the speed you drive will vary the relative impact.

My light factory alloys have the least inertia, meaning it takes the least energy to get moving in stop and go traffic, but in some cases weight isn't a negative - you coast farther, meaning in "pulse and glide" you're going to be keeping the engine off a lot longer.

That said, lighter wheels are generally better. You get braking/acceleration/cornering/handling benefits if nothing else. But, you can't just compare total wheel mass - those rims with the weight more toward the outer edge will have higher inertia (feel heavier) even if they weight the same sitting on a scale.

worth repeating!
worth repeating!
well said!

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
Old 12-15-2017, 04:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hex
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post

I think Ecky nailed every significant point on the subject.

On a side note, I love seeing VX wheels on an Insight. Its funny to think that Honda made what is arguably some of there most appealing and efficient wheels in the '90s in the VX (14") and HX (15") wheels, which share the same design. If only they kept going and made larger sizes. Oh well. Topic derailment, over.