Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #21 (permalink)
.
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The Berkshires, Massachussetts
Posts: 885

Ruby Sparks - '01 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 64.27 mpg (US)
Thanks: 111
Thanked 362 Times in 202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbov View Post
We received a 911 call advising that someone was plugged into the power outlet behind the middle school. ...
You see someone plugged into an outlet and -this persons- first reaction is to call 911? The whole incident is full of misunderstandings.

On the topic of churches or businesses refusing to let you charge even if you offer to pay. I think the main reason would be ignorance on the subject making it to much of a hassle. Letting you charge for free is one thing, but when you get into remuneration for they know not how much electricity, or what cost, or how to charge you for it. I wouldn't say they are against EV's, they'd just rather not deal with it.

__________________
I try to be helpful. I'm not an expert.
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 12-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #22 (permalink)
(:
 
Frank Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: up north
Posts: 12,752

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,581
Thanked 3,537 Times in 2,209 Posts
Calling 911 over seeing a car plugged in strikes me as an abuse of the 911 system and the caller should be warned.
__________________


  Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 442
Thanks: 1
Thanked 57 Times in 43 Posts
I have never had a problem charging in MA. I get permission before I charge, but I charged at my college, local elementary schools, peoples houses, etc. I even got to park my EV on the front curb of a Lowes and charge because I ran out of juice, but my meter still read 75% left...

Now that we have Charge Point stations everywhere it's easier to charge, but I have never heard any anyone calling the police over charging. That's just stupid.
__________________
Civic EV http://2001-civic-ev.blogspot.com/
Solectria Force http://solectriaforce.blogspot.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #24 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: nowhere
Posts: 533
Thanks: 31
Thanked 86 Times in 69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbov View Post
Interesting thread... but this isnt' about electricity, it's about courtesy; after reading the police's side of the story, I hope they throw the book at him!
Frank
We received a 911 call advising that someone was plugged into the power outlet behind the middle school. ...The officer's initial incident report gives a good indication of how difficult and argumentative the individual was to deal with. ...Given the uncooperative attitude and accusations of damage to his vehicle, the officer chose to document the incident on an incident report. ...the school resource officer ...recognized Mr. Kamooneh. ... (who) had previously been advised he was not allowed on the school tennis courts without permission from the school . This was apparently due to his interfering with the use of the tennis courts previously during school hours.
... but the decision (to pursue theft charges) was based on Mr. Kamooneh having been advised that he was not allowed on the property without permission. Had he complied with that notice none of this would have occurred. Mr. Kamooneh's son is not a student at the middle school and he was not the one playing tennis. Mr. Kamooneh was taking lessons himself.
Spin, spin, media spin.

The Gannett news release quoted by the OP certainly was provocative and garnered sympathetic comments in this thread by telling only part of the story. What is important is that much of the story was spun by omission. There is more to the story than what we were led to believe. For a different perspective, now try reading this article:

Ga. Man Arrested for Charging Electric Car at Local Middle School - ABC News

Apparently the guy was being provocative. He already has a reputation with the local police for doing similar things that are marginally or actually illegal. He went looking for trouble and he found it. It's hard to have sympathy for him.
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XYZ For This Useful Post:
ShadeTreeMech (12-06-2013)
Old 12-05-2013, 11:31 PM   #25 (permalink)
A madman
 
brucey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: WV
Posts: 1,012

Pequod - '17 Subaru Outback
90 day: 22.79 mpg (US)
Thanks: 70
Thanked 179 Times in 96 Posts
Send a message via AIM to brucey
""I'm waiting for them to arrest water drinkers and cell phone chargers," said Kamooneh, a former university professor who is now an investment advisor."

Oh, he's a bean counter. So he's probably thinking he is clever by getting everyone else to pay for those pennies he's saving with this car.

Case is still ridiculous. Still can't imagine this one not getting thrown out.

Last edited by brucey; 12-05-2013 at 11:42 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:51 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
P-hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,408

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
Thanks: 102
Thanked 249 Times in 201 Posts
shoulda tazed him and called it a day "You want free electricity?!?"
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:09 AM   #27 (permalink)
MPG is not linear police
 
ciderbarrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: MD/DC area
Posts: 121

Cider - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Team Volt
Team Chevy
90 day: 63.19 mpg (US)
Thanks: 7
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbov View Post
Interesting thread... but this isnt' about electricity, it's about courtesy; after reading the police's side of the story, I hope they throw the book at him!
Frank
We received a 911 call advising that someone was plugged into the power outlet behind the middle school. ...The officer's initial incident report gives a good indication of how difficult and argumentative the individual was to deal with. ...Given the uncooperative attitude and accusations of damage to his vehicle, the officer chose to document the incident on an incident report. ...the school resource officer ...recognized Mr. Kamooneh. ... (who) had previously been advised he was not allowed on the school tennis courts without permission from the school . This was apparently due to his interfering with the use of the tennis courts previously during school hours.
... but the decision (to pursue theft charges) was based on Mr. Kamooneh having been advised that he was not allowed on the property without permission. Had he complied with that notice none of this would have occurred. Mr. Kamooneh's son is not a student at the middle school and he was not the one playing tennis. Mr. Kamooneh was taking lessons himself.
I guess we now need to lock up everyone charging their phones in airports and stealing 2 cents of electricity each.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:49 AM   #28 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel
 
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Posts: 9,062
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1,041 Times in 915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
shoulda tazed him and called it a day "You want free electricity?!?"
That's a good one
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:47 AM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
JasonG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charlotte NC / York SC
Posts: 726

05 DMax - '05 Chevrolet 2500HD
90 day: 18.48 mpg (US)
Thanks: 107
Thanked 54 Times in 50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
Spin, spin, media spin.

The Gannett news release quoted by the OP certainly was provocative and garnered sympathetic comments in this thread by telling only part of the story. What is important is that much of the story was spun by omission. There is more to the story than what we were led to believe. For a different perspective, now try reading this article:

Ga. Man Arrested for Charging Electric Car at Local Middle School - ABC News

Apparently the guy was being provocative. He already has a reputation with the local police for doing similar things that are marginally or actually illegal. He went looking for trouble and he found it. It's hard to have sympathy for him.
After reading all of the articles it is hard to have sympathy for him.
He was acting like an activist jerk and got what he deserved.

I'm seeing more public buildings turning off their exterior and lobby receptacle breakers duee to phone and laptop charging.
I expect this to be a growing trend.
__________________




I can't understand why my MPG's are so low..........
21,000lb, 41' Toy Haulers are rough on FE!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #30 (permalink)
Master Novice
 
elhigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SE USA - East Tennessee
Posts: 2,304

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 26.89 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 46.92 mpg (US)
Thanks: 421
Thanked 606 Times in 445 Posts
In his book Solo, Noel Perrin wrote about having difficulty finding places that would let him charge. He offered to pay, and sometimes he just plugged in. That was in the 1980s I think, and his car only had about a 35 mile range. He was literally going all the way across the country. Generally the greatest trouble was when he was trying to pay. No one had any contingency plan in place for that nor any precedent to establish a working practice.

The guy's a schmo - interesting, no redline under "schmo," I must have spelled it correctly - for taking power without asking or offering to pay, but having him arrested for what is literally only a few cents' worth of electricity is even more criminal. This is going to fly out of court so fast it'll spin up some wind gennies.

__________________




Lead or follow. Either is fine.
  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com