Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #41 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
The omission/stupidification of gauges is not only annoying, but can be very costly.

My truck (Dodge/Cummins) has a low pressure fuel feed pump and a high pressure injection pump that are both electric. The low pressure pump is absolutely notorious for giving out, but the truck can continue to operate without any hint that a failure has occurred. The problem is that a failed low pressure pump ($150) will cause the injector pump ($1200) to fail shortly after. There is NO gauge that warns of low fuel pressure for either pump.

Fortunately for me, I was an idiot and ran my truck out of fuel TWICE, each time finding that the low pressure pump had died when it failed to prime the fuel system. I got less than 40k miles out of each pump. Finally I replaced the low pressure pump with an aftermarket unit, and installed a performance computer which includes a sensor to monitor fuel pressure.

The truck should have been built with a pump designed to last as long as the motor, and it would have cost Dodge an extra 2 bucks to put in an idiot light that comes on when fuel pressure drops below threshold.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
It was actually a Cummins problem. That pump is part of the engine package supplied by Cummins. It was actually made by Carter and stamped with a Cummins part number. The very first step after buying one of these trucks is to install a decent aftermarket pump with a built in low pressure warning LED mounted in the cabin. They are a few hundred bucks and well worth it, as you obviously know.

Reply  Post New Thread