Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2008, 08:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD5OS View Post
Top engineer at Honda talking about Transmission fluid misconceptions.
I'm guessing 2 things from the video: 1) It relates mostly to manual transaxles (very few automatics in Japan); and 2) Sell more Genuine OEM Honda Transmission Fluid. V! Good link, tho...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Tranny changes with oil changes, isnt that a bit much? Yes the tranny fluid does see more stress than engine oil, but, and I'm just thinking aloud here, tranny fluid would be build to withstand longer run times?
The purpose is to get the ratio of synth to regular as high as possible, since only about a 1/2 is drained with the plug method.

The proper way is to disconnect the lines from the radiator, identify the output and input lines, place the intake line in the bottle of fluid and the drain line into a disposal container. Then, have an assistant start the vehicle while you monitor the flushing process. When the output looks satisfactory, shut off the car and clamp the lines and re-install.

I didn't really have anyone around that weekend to help out and the plug came off pretty simply.

That's the reason for the quick-change interval. I'll also be able to inspect the magnetic plug to gauge any metallic wear issues.

RH77

_
_
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-27-2008, 09:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Yes, it looks like he's talking about manual transmissions. He explained that the tranny fluid stays there, like a bath. True for std tranny, not true for auto. Auto tranny fluid gets cycled through the cool side of the radiator. Doesn't get filtered but it does get cooled.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckhumprey View Post
I am going to do synthetic transmission fluid change. I just swap recently so I want to ask if the procedure is the same. My friend did my truck’s last transmission fluid change but now he’s residing in Florida so I want to do it myself. I usually rely on videos for DIY solutions and I found this one about transmission fluid replacement. Can I rely on this video and does it show the complete procedure?

Thanks in advance. I really need an expert’s guidance..
Hi Chuck-

#1: Disclaimer -- I'm not an Expert on the Subject

#2: The video looks to have been removed from You Tube by the user.

It depends on the vehicle you have. The transaxles that I generally work with have a drain plug, which is the simplest way to drain ~1/3 of the fluid using a one-man operation with fewer labor hours (Honda/Acura models) -- on the flip-side, the entire "old" fluid supply is not purged.

I essentially performed 2 drains and refills with Synth on the Integra last year. UPDATE: It exhibits flawless operation (solid shifts, no shudder, good temperature figures, and excellent actuation on the TC). Still today, at 150K+ original miles, it operates perfectly with the inclusion of a manual torque converter switch. Plus -- a gallon of ATF is down to $50/gallon, so it's an even better deal for preventative maintenance!

I am about to drain our '06 TSX's fluid, which has over 65K miles, and replace with synth, during the next 2 oil-change intervals, since we plan to keep the car a LONG time. The auto-trans seems to be an area of special attention for these models. So, the process to purge the system of nearly all existing fluid is pretty complicated, and helps to have 2 people to assist.

Next week, I will be working with a teacher/mechanic and his students at the nearby high school, to replace a timing belt on an '05 Civic. It's a great place to learn and help other learn the trade of Auto Shop. I have a list of questions to bring-up during off-times, including this very topic

Perhaps more on that later...

Happy EcoDriving,
RH77

_
_
Reply  Post New Thread