Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Quest for a 400 mile tank

Adventure Truck - '07 Toyota Tacoma Double cab V6 TRD 4wd offroad
90 day: 19.26 mpg (US)

Commuter Bicycle - '94 Slingshot mountain bike
Tacoma Grill Block

I made and installed a grill block last month. First created a cardboard cutout that fit the grill. Then traced the pattern onto Lexan and cut it out. I cut and oval around the front emblem since that part sticks out from the rest of the grill. Plus between the Toyota "T" emblem, it's open so a bit of air can get through. I drilled pairs of holes and zip tied the block to the grill. So it can be removed with a knife if needed. The lower grill is also blocked with 3 zip ties. The two triangles on either side are not open, just aesthetic.

So far, it's hard to tell what type of aero or efficiency affect it may have but I'm sure it can't hurt. My daily commute is only 8-9 miles each way so the engine barely warms up, but it's quicker now with the grill block.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-08-2010, 04:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjboks View Post
I made and installed a grill block last month. First created a cardboard cutout that fit the grill. Then traced the pattern onto Lexan and cut it out. I cut and oval around the front emblem since that part sticks out from the rest of the grill. Plus between the Toyota "T" emblem, it's open so a bit of air can get through. I drilled pairs of holes and zip tied the block to the grill. So it can be removed with a knife if needed. The lower grill is also blocked with 3 zip ties. The two triangles on either side are not open, just aesthetic.

So far, it's hard to tell what type of aero or efficiency affect it may have but I'm sure it can't hurt. My daily commute is only 8-9 miles each way so the engine barely warms up, but it's quicker now with the grill block.
I'm certain that you've cut drag.The problem is that your gains are being masked by the signal-to-noise ratio of the winter temps and all it does to lower your mpg.
22 miles of continuous 50-mph driving is required just to warm a car up completely,to whatever it's ambient equilibrium temp is.
Your short commute is killing your mpg.
As temps build in the spring,be ready to open your block a bit so as not to cook anything important under the hood.
The block looks good!
Old 01-08-2010, 11:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
recession proof rebel

nice work man. it makes me want to make a lexan one

true wealth comes from good health and wise ways
Old 01-09-2010, 12:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rondo - '07 Kia Rondo EX
Last 3: 20.47 mpg (US)

Tinkertoy2 - '00 Toyota Echo base
Team Toyota
Last 3: 46.03 mpg (US)
Grill block looks good. I like the lexan idea. I short trip a lot too and I am sure that you will see some mileage gain just from the quicker warm up time alone. Increased aero is a bonus.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I love it when mods come out looking like OEM options. Great job!

Old 01-09-2010, 09:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

old red taco - '02 toyota tacoma regular cab
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)
mjboks don't forget to cut a hole so you can pop the hood. i had my grill block on through a summer and i do lots of towing sometimes over 3000 lbs and i have never had a temp issue. i only have the top grill blocked and a 4 cylinder 2 wd so your results may be different.

a grill block and over inflating the tires made a measurable difference on my truck. i was getting around 27 mpg stock highway and with the grill block and overinflated tires i was getting around 30 mpg
Old 01-11-2010, 09:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Quest for a 400 mile tank

Adventure Truck - '07 Toyota Tacoma Double cab V6 TRD 4wd offroad
90 day: 19.26 mpg (US)

Commuter Bicycle - '94 Slingshot mountain bike
Thanks for the build compliments. Lexan is great and sort of disguises the grill block a bit. Still noticeable but doesn't stand out. If haven't worked with Lexan, make sure you use the finest tooth saw blade you can find. It cracks easy. I figured Lexan will take a beating if any stones or road debris get's kicked up.

btw ccrider, I can still pop the hood. I checked that before I installed it.

I monitor engine temps on the scangauge. I still haven't seen it as high as mid summer temps so I think I'm good with this block until as least late spring. I may have to create a "summer" grill block that is opened up a bit more. I don't have plans of towing anything through death valley with the AC on anytime soon. So I'm sure I can get away with some type of grill block all year long, especially for the aero bonus.

Reply  Post New Thread