Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2014, 02:06 PM   #21 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
It would sure be fun to send that clip to his insurance agent!
I saw the clip on a TV news broadcast this morning. They said the video convinced the cops to bring charges against him. But his insurance agent already knows about him. Their concern is limited to paying for his misdeed, not to convict him.

Is stirring the pot necessary or appropriate? Frank, one thing both you and the reckless driver have in common is the desire for revenge. The reckless driver showed his colors by giving the finger as revenge. Your calling for a harassment campaign against the guy is also based in vengeance. Let the cops cite him and the court convict him. It's their job, not ours, to punish him.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XYZ For This Useful Post:
elhigh (03-29-2014), Joggernot (03-28-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-28-2014, 03:58 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
I think as usual it takes 2 to tango. You don't see the whole situation, the front car could have been antagonizing for miles before. Supposedly by her own admission he had been following her "for miles" she may have been going slow waiting on making that left turn for a long time before starting to record. That recording ironically involved taking eyes off the road, opening a video app, and then driving one handed, all dumb on her part. So yeah, he's a hothead but she is inconsiderate as well. I think the spin out and any damage to his truck is punishment enough. I also don't think insurance should be off the hook for acts of stupidity or they would almost never pay.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (03-28-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 05:10 PM   #23 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
Is stirring the pot necessary or appropriate? Frank, one thing both you and the reckless driver have in common is the desire for revenge. The reckless driver showed his colors by giving the finger as revenge. Your calling for a harassment campaign against the guy is also based in vengeance. Let the cops cite him and the court convict him. It's their job, not ours, to punish him.
I was hoping someone would determine the identity of the truck driver, and delighted to see that Frank provided the name Jeffrey Travis White. While I agree that harassment is not called for, public shaming is. The name Jeffrey Travis White should be associated with idiocy, and the shame should motivate Jeff to redeem his name. At 33 years old, he has plenty of time to do this.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (03-28-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 05:11 PM   #24 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
There is a difference between punishment by The Lawr and members of the public expressing disapproval; we all know that too often The Lawr is motivated primarily by financial gain so for that reason it is easy to dismiss that punishment as merely a wealth transfer. The offender's core beliefs about their violation remain justified in their minds and perhaps, for a while, they are merely a little more low-key about committing them.

Quote:
I think as usual it takes 2 to tango. You don't see the whole situation, the front car could have been antagonizing for miles before. Supposedly by her own admission he had been following her "for miles" she may have been going slow waiting on making that left turn for a long time before starting to record. That recording ironically involved taking eyes off the road, opening a video app, and then driving one handed, all dumb on her part. So yeah, he's a hothead but she is inconsiderate as well. I think the spin out and any damage to his truck is punishment enough. I also don't think insurance should be off the hook for acts of stupidity or they would almost never pay.
At the time of recording she was going between 1 and 6 mph OVER the speed limit. It's possible, but I don't believe for a second that prior to recording she was going slower. I say that anyone who isn't satisfied by 1-6 over should either safely and legally pass or STFU.

Insurance doesn't pay; make a claim then watch your rates climb such that you end up paying the tab anyway over time.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:21 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

This goon will suffer enough consequences.

The publicity might cost him his job, and the record of this may make finding another job more difficult. Not to mention the looks he will get and his new insurance rates.

While I'm glad he's getting his just rewards, let's be careful our emotional intelligence does not descend to the level he displayed on the video.

Don't give him an excuse to feel like a martyr by going beyond these posts.

Last edited by Chuck.; 03-28-2014 at 05:29 PM..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuck. For This Useful Post:
elhigh (03-29-2014), XYZ (03-28-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
If someone is climbing up my arse and they ain't a proctologist, I'll speed up to get back in the right lane, where I belong. I've had them pass me off the road, pull over on an acceleration lane and pass, and other more idiotic moves.

I'm finally relaizing how good the old man's advice was when he told me "I'd rather have the idiot in front of me than behind me" which works fine until their piece of junk tosses a connecting rod and it breaks your windshield after serveral bounces on the concrete.

regards
Mech

Old 03-28-2014, 05:45 PM   #27 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
If someone insists on tailgating me, I shift to neutral and enjoy my music.

So, do you want to see Jeffrey Travis White standing on a street corner with a sign saying what he did?

Old 03-28-2014, 05:52 PM   #28 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
Recently I was passed on the soft left shoulder of I-5. The thing was, traffic was stopped due to the freeway being completely shut down by a truck\trailer\boat wreck. The guy behind didn't like that I only crawled along at idle to close any gap that would develop in front of me. Over the next 2hrs, he only gained the 1 car length from passing me. Secretly, I wanted a cop to pull him over, or for him to pick up a nail in his tire.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Old 03-28-2014, 09:30 PM   #29 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
There is a difference between punishment by The Lawr and members of the public expressing disapproval; we all know that too often The Lawr is motivated primarily by financial gain so for that reason it is easy to dismiss that punishment as merely a wealth transfer. The offender's core beliefs about their violation remain justified in their minds and perhaps, for a while, they are merely a little more low-key about committing them.
Frank, your broadcasting the guy's name, address and phone number goes beyond "public shaming". That's going too far and it amounts to your being a provocateur, or a wanna-be cop, or rabble rouser. The guy acted recklessly and he will get what he deserves, sooner or later. Actually, as the driver of the other car realized, he DID get what he deserved when he spun out of control and damaged his truck - mostly because he was focused upon revenge, illustrated in his distracting himself from his driving, by giving the finger. If he hadn't been so PO'd he might have driven off with no incident.

Someone earlier on in this thread mentioned "karma". Live and let live. If you invoke retribution you will attract it, you will be obsessed with it, and you will receive it in return.

Last edited by XYZ; 03-28-2014 at 09:39 PM..

Old 03-28-2014, 09:37 PM   #30 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
If someone is climbing up my arse and they ain't a proctologist, I'll speed up to get back in the right lane, where I belong. I've had them pass me off the road, pull over on an acceleration lane and pass, and other more idiotic moves.

I'm finally relaizing how good the old man's advice was when he told me "I'd rather have the idiot in front of me than behind me" which works fine until their piece of junk tosses a connecting rod and it breaks your windshield after serveral bounces on the concrete.

regards
Mech
Personally, I prefer having them behind me. Or I let them speed ahead and get waay out in front of me. Maintaining road safety is the top priority, either way. Get as far away from idiots and hothead drivers as possible. Then it becomes someone else's problem and you reduce your personal risk...

Closed Thread  Post New Thread