Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2008, 10:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Coasting Down the Peak

Toyauto Pickup - '94 Toyota Pickup 2WD
90 day: 36.32 mpg (US)

Versa Base - '09 Versa Sedan 1.6 Base
Team Nissan
90 day: 41.69 mpg (US)
Tell me about the CRX

Looking at buying an older CRX to hypermile.

What do I need to know?

I am in the rust belt, where do they rust?

There seem to be a lot of modded CRX's, how do I avoid a bad mod job? what wacky things do people do to these cars?

How many miles can you expect out of the motor? trans? axles?

What else breaks on them?

How much are they going for in the midwest?

Any owner forums that would be helpful?

tnx

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-18-2008, 11:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Volt12 - '12 Chevy Volt base
i just got my rust free 130k miles crx thats in rough shape but totally rust free and solid and reliable for $950 and thst in the heart of the rust bucket zone of MN..

There honda's so 100k is low miles, really i expect 100k more out of mine before new motors needed..

MY drivers side window crank is funky but other than that everything in good order in a 20 year old car..

If you really want a high MPG car get a CRX HF there the highest MPG car ever.. they always a 5 speed stick and in 5th gear there under reving really low like 1800-2000 rpm at 60mph.

And yes alot are modded and riced up as there super fast cars when you drop a 200hp vtec in them.. finding a stock one is a challange.. but i found one pretty easly, just searched high and low for a few weeks and found it on craigs list.

be prepaired especially the HF is not a quiet cushy ride there short wheel based and light weight cars... there not really bad, thing a very high end go kart... there kind of noisy especially when you got your tires at 50psi.. on new tar there smooth as silk however , I love mine!!

Sadly i got a HF with a CA or High altitude tranny so it revs higher in 5th so i loose a few MPG.. but im still better than a Hybrid prius

Old 06-19-2008, 12:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
worst thing that can happen to a crx is for it to be owned by a teenager who wants a race car, so lookat who is selling it and base your price off them as much as you would the car, just like when you buy a motorcycle.
a cat back exhaust will kill your mileage and is a common mod $300 will fix it with oem parts, $250 with after market parts that will rust twice as fast.
air intake is the other part that is often molested, that will kill your mileage as much as a cat back will and be just as costly to replace because you must go with oem, wheels are just a pain to find, but often of it needs a number of those things it's not worth getting because it was trashed all around.
for a non hf crx that is in good shape $1000 is a good deal, for an hf that is rusty I've seen them sell for $800 on up over $3,000 without being mint.
they then to rust at the rear wheel wells and bottom of doors, on pre 1988 the pan hard bar would rust and let the rear end loss.. this tnis bad! but if the jack points are good then i say you are good unless other stuff is falling off, an ugly crx with good jack points is worth $1,500 or more,
I also noticed that after 160,00 or so the engine starts to smoke due to the lack of a 3rd piston ring. nothing horble, just a pain.

Reply  Post New Thread