Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2014, 06:43 PM   #31 (permalink)
PSmodder lurker

I'm personally afraid that the falcon-wing doors were a concession to a 'qualified' marketing criteria. A checklist was filled, front-hinged doors are too pedestrian for the early adopters. Tesla is using the cliched tech template, that the key to marketing success depends on the excited first adopters for their free publicity, buzz, detailed consumer information and opinionated feedback. Early adopter marketing has a very narrow focus, targeting a specific 10% of the population, an affluent technically and socially mobile 'digerati' - the greying geeks who are financially peaking.

They are also the opposite edge of a knife, if Tesla ignores the first droppers' valuable feedback - they are also going to be the first to leave.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-12-2014, 08:07 PM   #32 (permalink)
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucey View Post
When public transport is clearly the logical alternative to personal automobiles in every scientifically measurable way, why are cars sold or driven at all beyond the lobbying efforts of the auto industry and actions such as the GM Streetcar Conspiracy?
Public transport is good in theory but fails in practice. People have personal space requirements. Public transport does not allow for that. The average person feels discomfort at being forced into a confined space with people that they do not trust.
Then it only takes a few, "to cool for rules" travellers making a nuisance of themselves to push that discomfort to the point where the person actively avoids public transport if they can.
Human nature is a powerful thing.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:45 PM   #33 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
This was all emotional garbage, who in their right mind has an emotional attachment to a car?!?

"I have the most awesome @#@#$@ing hammer!!! you really don't want to sell your soul on one of those other inferior hammers!!"
Plenty of people have emotional attachments to inanimate objects. I had many adventures in my Subaru, and even dreamed about the car after it was totaled and hauled off. There was a pair of shoes an ex GF had given me that I was sad to part with when I wore them out.

Objects help people to remember important events in their lives and provide a way to feel connected to the past.

That said, I agree with your point of how silly it is that people get caught up in the emotion of purchasing something that is primarily a tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucey View Post
When public transport is clearly the logical alternative to personal automobiles in every scientifically measurable way, why are cars sold or driven at all beyond the lobbying efforts of the auto industry and actions such as the GM Streetcar Conspiracy?
Public transport is not clearly the logical alternative to personal vehicles. The U.S. is not Japan. What public transportation will pick me up from work at 1am, or take me to my parents house out in the countryside? How do I get into the mountains to go camping? Public transportation goes nowhere I'd want to go.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 02-12-2014, 10:42 PM   #34 (permalink)
A madman

Pequod - '17 Subaru Outback
90 day: 22.79 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to brucey
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Public transport is not clearly the logical alternative to personal vehicles. The U.S. is not Japan. What public transportation will pick me up from work at 1am, or take me to my parents house out in the countryside? How do I get into the mountains to go camping? Public transportation goes nowhere I'd want to go.
Well, not now that we have a major infrastructure to support passenger cars... And we have a neglected public transportation system... But before the Eisenhower Interstate system? Before Route 66 was part of Americana? When cars were just toys for the rich?

If we put as much support, financial backing, and long term mindset changes into public transportation, it clearly would do all those things and more, at a lower cost and environmental impact. For the record I love cars. But the idea from the previous post was simply backing the statement "Because its' Cool" is enough reason to do something.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:21 PM   #35 (permalink)
Too busy for gas stations

Turtle - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Team Honda
90 day: 67.09 mpg (US)

Rolla - '10 Toyota Corolla Le

Beast - '91 Chevy V2500

Bus - '01 VW Eurovan MV

Speed - '93 Harley bored and storked Harley w/ turbo/ nitrous
90 day: 53.09 mpg (US)

Cal - '68 Ford Mustang GT/CS
I live in a town of 450. Public transportation never existed, and never will.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:32 AM   #36 (permalink)
Reverse-Trike EV

The asphalt, cement, oil and auto industries have always lobbied against public transportation. We could have high-speed bullet trains and light rail everywhere, if not for the corporations dictating what we citizens can have for transportation.
They dismantled and completely destroyed the early light rail routes and implemented the dirty bus lines.
The Following User Says Thank You to Giovanni LiCalsi For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (02-13-2014)
Old 02-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #37 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Would you rather live next to a refinery or a wind farm?
Wind farm. All that free bird meat, yum.
Quote:
Or even live next to a gas station vs a Supercharger station?
Supercharger station. I'd sell overpriced iced tea to the folks milling around waiting for their cars to charge.

I think the falcon wing doors are an alternative to sliding doors found on minivans. I have no doubt they improve access to the rearmost seats, and they would also improve access for loading/unloading of stuff like baby seats and the babies in them. In other words, maybe they put them there for practical purposes.

My biggest issue with them would be how wet the inside of the car would get when they're open on an inclement day. Or, now that I think about it, when the roof of the car has a few inches of snow on it.

Last edited by wdb; 02-13-2014 at 01:03 PM..
Old 02-13-2014, 02:18 PM   #38 (permalink)
Reverse-Trike EV

I'm sure that the same criticism was given to electric starters over hand cranking the engines.

Last edited by Giovanni LiCalsi; 02-13-2014 at 06:31 PM..
Old 02-13-2014, 05:19 PM   #39 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni LiCalsi View Post
I'm sure that the same criticism was give to electric starters over hand cranking the engines.
Has anybody here tried that?
Old 02-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
I have a flat battery in my Insight. Switching off on a red light it refused to start on go green.
I had all the lights and radio on, swiched them off and gave it another try. It turned over a few times without running, then slowed ... but just then kicked to life!

I believe i curse started that engine !

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Reply  Post New Thread