Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2011, 09:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

are the tires toed out? that, and some camber problems, could do this.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-30-2011, 10:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenavy85 View Post
no,you were clear, i was tired when i replied and didn't read the post well enough. So, can you get a picture of the front of your car showing the camber of the tires on both sides?
Can do mate! What profile will best show off the camber? Steering dead centre? Can post pics tomorrow!
Old 04-30-2011, 10:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I don't know if they are toed out to be honest. I don't really have a method of measuring this. I will eye them up later on, see if I notice anything wild!
Old 04-30-2011, 12:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

you can measure toe yourself with the pin-in-the-tread method. Anyone know offhand where that thread is?
Old 04-30-2011, 01:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Bookworm

Sylvio 2 - '04 Audi allroad quattro Biturbo 6-spd
90 day: 25.09 mpg (US)

Atlas - '04 Audi allroad 2.7T 6MT
That's way too bad to be just camber. It'd have to look like the wheels were falling off for camber to have that big an effect. Most likely it's a combination of some negative camber and too much toe-out.

You can measure toe by measuring the distance between the fronts of the front tires and the distance between the back of the front tires and compare them. Just measure from the same point (like the tire's center rib) on the front as on the back so you're comparing apples to apples. Generally, front-wheel-drive cars should be about neutral (both tires pointing straight ahead) or slightly toed out. Maybe 1/16th of an inch toed out total. I'm guessing you'll find 1/4" (6mm) or more.

There are many DIYs on the interwebs. Toe is not so precise that you can't check (and set) it with a normal measuring tape.

Alignment is one of those things that once you figure out how to do it, you can't imagine paying someone else $100 to do it for you. (Some cars are easier than others.)

If static toe seems ok, it might be control arm bushings or other suspension parts allowing the suspension to shift under load. They will often settle in the right position when it's not moving, but when you hit the brakes, the wheels can shift back and toe out. Sometimes it's so bad that you can see it. Have someone drive the vehicle slowly, hit the gas, then hit the brakes while you're watching from the side. If the wheels shift back and forth, check the suspension bushings, ball joints, and strut mounts, probably in that order.

Or you could just have the tire shop flip the tires around and run the other side bald...
Old 04-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

You bought the car in January, I would bet the previous owner rotated the tires front to back and the problem is in the rear as said in the TSB.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
Bookworm

Sylvio 2 - '04 Audi allroad quattro Biturbo 6-spd

Atlas - '04 Audi allroad 2.7T 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorecomp View Post
You bought the car in January, I would bet the previous owner rotated the tires front to back and the problem is in the rear as said in the TSB.
Good catch.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:30 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorecomp View Post
That could be the case but looking at the back tyres my impression is that the front is where the damage is done. The back left is in great condition after 6k that I have done from jan. Both fronts put that chamfered wear on and it went from minimal tread to threadbare in a month.

My guess is that he put the fronts on the back as I have done and replaced the front tyres. I reckon the back left is fresh as he had to replace it due to wear.

I am not rejecting your theory - it maybe correct, but I am not sure that is the case.

I have found an ex formula ford mechanic in the area; I am going to see if he can help!

Cheers guys. She did near 300 miles yesterday.... Eeepp... 150 today. Good thing they are on the back! Wish me luck

Mike
Old 05-01-2011, 11:04 AM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

An update; I have found a local place that do laser wheel alignment. A mechanic friend says it is bad toe out most likely.

New tires this week - I think I owe it that much!

Do any of you replace all the bushes on the car with stiffer bushes? I hear that is a good thing to do. Should I bother?
Old 05-01-2011, 04:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Do you mean replace the rubber bushings with stiffer polyurethanes? Go ahead, they last longer and improves the handling so you don't have to brake when tackling corners so you can maintain your speed.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
diesel, focus, tire wear, vegetable oil