Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2009, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Arrow Toyota Camry Gen2 1989 Aero Recommendations?

Just wanted to know what you guys would recommend doing first. I'm not interested in doing damage to the car, but I wouldn't mind adding a few things onto it to make it more aero dynamic.

This isn't mine, but looks just like it:

I was thinking about doing something to the front bumper / grill using some aluminum in the 1/8" to 1/16" range. What would you guys do?

I typically drive very short distances under 5 miles usually so my MPG sucks usually. But 1/2 the miles are on the freeway, so I thought I could benefit a little from some aero mods, and I'd really benefit on the occasional longer trip.

Thanks!

Last edited by jasonck08; 08-29-2009 at 06:57 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-31-2009, 11:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
Camry

looks like the front airdam could be lowered about 3-inches(75-mm),and then that elevation could carry all the way down the rocker panels,and behind the rear wheels to the back of the car.I would trim back the mudflaps so they don't tear at the flow.A rear deck spoiler on the trunklid,rising up and to the rear at no steeper than a 30-degree angle,and tall enough that a long straight-edge laid across the back of the roof and spoiler top indicated an angle no steeper than say 12-degrees as measured from the horizon.Your wheelcovers are very good,I'd hang on to those.If the lower grille opening appears to have "overkill"(way too much opening compared to rediator width) you could close off some of the outer portion of that opening.------------ Your short commute is a killer to mpg,it takes 22 continuous miles of driving just to get all your lubes up the equilibrium temp.If you could magically pre-heat your engine,transaxle,and all bearings,you'd see remarkably higher mpg.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Horton

When I go for updates or modifications, I change or replace the bumpers so that the car will look bulky. I also change the color and design of the car to give it a new and refreshed look.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Lower it.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Camry MPG Modder

Camry CE - '00 Toyota Camry CE
90 day: 36.18 mpg (US)
Check out my Gen4 Camry thread under aero area...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonck08 View Post
Just wanted to know what you guys would recommend doing first. I'm not interested in doing damage to the car, but I wouldn't mind adding a few things onto it to make it more aero dynamic.

This isn't mine, but looks just like it:

I was thinking about doing something to the front bumper / grill using some aluminum in the 1/8" to 1/16" range. What would you guys do?

I typically drive very short distances under 5 miles usually so my MPG sucks usually. But 1/2 the miles are on the freeway, so I thought I could benefit a little from some aero mods, and I'd really benefit on the occasional longer trip.

Thanks!
But with your short range, local driving the only real gains you are going to make are by Pulse and Glide or getting a lighter car.

I know that costs $$$. Thats the reason I have a 10 yr old Camry and not a 5 yr old Prius.

Pete

Reply  Post New Thread