Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2014, 08:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Trucks & SUVs

I went to a crafts show this past weekend and being a bit bored I waited outside for the wife to finish. I started counting vehicles in the lot. Out of 9 vehicles in a partial row, two were "cars" (e.g. sedans, coupes). Out of 25 vehicles in a full row, two were "cars". Out of another partial row of seven vehicles, three were "cars". Generally, looking out over the whole lot, this is representative of what I saw. The rest were trucks (up to 3500 HD duelly and one over-the-road tractor) and SUVs.

That's about 17% cars in a lot full of vehicles. Guess people aren't worried about gas yet. This is the Gulf Coast of Texas.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-13-2014, 09:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
That sounds like here. In the military areas, with lots of single guys and steady paychecks, you will find lifted trucks, SUV's, kids with F250/350 diesels and no real reason for them. Granted, it's their paycheck, but they could save a lot by not spending $1,000's on lift kits, stacks, tires, wheels, superchargers, etc just to commute.

If only I wasn't what I just described when I was a junior enlisted person, I'd have a nice retirement fund.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

It's not even saving money. I mean, if I were inclined to spend that much on a vehicle, it'd be a Lotus, Porsche, or even a Miata.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Civic Type-DX - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)
Lol everything is bigger in Texas.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Three or four years ago, that is about the same ratio I saw around here. I would be sitting in line at a stop sign, and out of the ~30 vehicles in the line, only 4 or 5 or so were cars, and the rest where minivans, SUV's and pickups. Now there are a lot more CUV's (compact/crossover utility vehicles) and a lot more cars. The largest SUV's are now few and far between - maybe 1 out of 20 or 30, and one can actually see around most of the vehicles at intersections.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 02-13-2014, 12:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
I am not speaking on the average of unneeded huge vehicles, but if I am going to a craft show or something like that, I don't take the Mustang or Insight, I take our Escape.

Not saying these are all fuel conscience people, just that it may not be fair to evaluate a % at a craft show, home supply store, so on. When I get supplies I do take the Insight unless it's too heavy/big, then the Escape- since the Mustang doesn't have the ability anymore.

Heck, on Black Friday the TV I bought wouldn't fit in the Mustang, so it sat at the store until the next day.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

KLR650 - '10 Kawasaki KLR650

6.4 - '19 Ram 3500

All Black - '19 Kawasaki Vulcan S
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Lotus, Porsche, or even a Miata.
Tried... Some of us tall *******s don't fit in them little sports cars... or big sports cars for that matter
Mind you... I won't fit in any make/model/size pickup with a sunroof either...

Different people spend (or don't spend) their money on what they want... and in all fairness, I'd take my KLR to the craft fair and have someone else cart home their "eclectic purchase..."

Old 02-13-2014, 01:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_deceiver View Post
Tried... Some of us tall *******s don't fit in them little sports cars... or big sports cars for that matter
Mind you... I won't fit in any make/model/size pickup with a sunroof either...

Different people spend (or don't spend) their money on what they want... and in all fairness, I'd take my KLR to the craft fair and have someone else cart home their "eclectic purchase..."
You can spend your money however you want, after all, it is your money.

I think the point was, how many trucks and SUVs are owned by people that don't need them for what they are able to do? Sure, a Suburban has lots of room, but if you don't need a full size SUV/truck to pull your boat or camper, why spend the money on it? A minivan will hold a lot too, get better gas mileage and probably cost less to purchase. But, it's all about how a person wants to spend their money. I can tell you for a fact that people in my area often buy 4x4 pick ups to commute. They don't own boats, campers, or trailers. They "need" trucks because they own houses and claim to be buying sheets of plywood (How often do homeowners need plywood??). Or they "need" a truck to haul their one or two kids around. They "need" four wheel drive because it snows in their area, but don't realize a front wheel drive car with good tires is almost just as good in the snow as a four wheel drive (At least in most of the US). After all, the four wheel drive is only good for accelerating. It does nothing for stopping.

I used to be someone who "needed" a truck. I regret owning three different trucks and an SUV. I wish I had bought an economical car way back when and paid it off. Those $300-500 payments I have lived with for the past 14 years would have made for really nice IRA contributions.

I am not picking on you since you own a truck, I am just throwing my thoughts .
Old 02-13-2014, 02:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Hard to see, but under the hay are 3x 50-lb feed sacks.

I've also hauled a MASSIVE full-grown 250 lb potbelly pig (in a plywood crate). It took three grown men to load it. Another time I carried three grown sheep together in the same crate.

A coworker drives a truck with a trailer hitch on it that's still factory shiny. He's never towed anything in ~4 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hay-sm.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	14602  

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 02-13-2014, 02:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
Hard to see, but under the hay are 3x 50-lb feed sacks.

I've also hauled a MASSIVE full-grown 250 lb potbelly pig (in a plywood crate). It took three grown men to load it. Another time I carried three grown sheep together in the same crate.

A coworker drives a truck with a trailer hitch on it that's still factory shiny. He's never towed anything in ~4 years.
I almost bought a Fit. When we decided to get rid of our beloved 2006 Hemi Durango 4x4, we test drove a Fit. My wife said she bounced around a little in the back seat, but it wasn't too bad. We decided on the Mazda5 as a Durango replacement. We needed something that could hold two kids, luggage and my 70lb dog for our trips to NJ five hours away. The Fit was big enough to hold Duke, but not with luggage.

The Mazda5 has been saving us a lot of gas money and holds plenty of stuff, while getting an average of 25 mpg. Not bad for an automatic that seats six.

Reply  Post New Thread