Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 47.95 mpg (US)
To make rounded corners on my kamm on my Neon I used 1/8" x 1" aluminum flat bar bent to shape, then riveted the coroplast to it. Made it pretty easy to get a nice round transition.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
I received this pm from aerohead (Phil Knox) today. I just have to post it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead
. Man,it looks great to me! The side flow it attempting to flow up into the lower pressure on top of the roof, which careful radiusing might cure, but all of Kamm's cars did this and I don't think your looking at attached vortices at all,Just a little trembling. I think you're there!
And your 'camerman' did an excellent job on the video. I've got to get into this. HD digital video cams are just too cheap now not to!
Thanks for the look,'n congrats on the Kamm!

Old 09-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,171 Times in 1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
I received this pm from aerohead (Phil Knox) today. I just have to post it here.
That's good news. How will you do the radii? Why not try sheet aluminum? It's better looking and probably more easily rolled into shape.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
For edge radiusing, 1"-2" PVC pipe looked like a good idea. But this morning I looked at a Prius and a new Insight in parking lot at work. The radius is more like 10"-12" to me eye. I might just go with a hard straight edge and gain the benefits of simpler sturdy construction.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #15 (permalink)
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
When you finish your new mod, try to find a nice hill to coast down and track your speed & times to go between 2 points the faster the better (50-60mph). Then go down it several times with the mod on & mod off. This will be a sure indicator of how it works. Tuft testing while fun & somewhat informative really is not a true test of effectiveness.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

hX-TREME!!! - '97 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 54.75 mpg (US)

450sX-TREME!!! - '95 Nissan V8 240sx

chodercycle - '06 kawasaki ninja zx6r 636
Do you think if I made one of these out of a trunk spoiler (trying to make something that looks cool/ not out of signs) would it be at all beneficial? Mine would only be like 8 inches long but maybe if I use this data (13 degrees) it would be just a little bit better than stock? I like this idea and I feel like I can make a really nice looking one.

I have a picture but photo bucket is being stupid
Old 09-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakins View Post
Do you think if I made one of these out of a trunk spoiler (trying to make something that looks cool/ not out of signs) would it be at all beneficial? Mine would only be like 8 inches long but maybe if I use this data (13 degrees) it would be just a little bit better than stock? I like this idea and I feel like I can make a really nice looking one.

I have a picture but photo bucket is being stupid
Let's see the pics. I would bet most people would agree the results are dependent on details we don't know yet. It is possible that you might remake the spoiler as a trunk spoiler and do better than with the roof extension/wing.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

hX-TREME!!! - '97 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 54.75 mpg (US)

450sX-TREME!!! - '95 Nissan V8 240sx

chodercycle - '06 kawasaki ninja zx6r 636
sorry for the late response! i finally got photo bucket to work. this is my idea. just an idea right now. ive seen other roof wings you can buy but they arnt designed for aero dynamis, just show. this is a wing from my nissan 240sx. obviously the ends stick out to far and will need to be delt with.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
I'm not sure how important it is to close the gap between roof and start of spoiler.

In studying the template,
( see these links: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post266562
and http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post116820 )
I found that ideally, the roof extension for this generation Civic coupe needs to begin several inches forward of the rear window's top edge. So I wanted a thin material that could hug the roofline.

If I had fiberglassing skills I could build this project that way. I just happen to be partial to 2.7 mm. lauan plywood, primed with oil base primer. I thin the paint a bit so it's not too goopy.

The first link above was my attempt at a cooler looking design. However it wasn't very successful when I did coastdown tests. And the panels wanted to move a lot under the pressure of air flow. The design in this thread is stable at highway speeds.

Last edited by brucepick; 10-02-2012 at 05:25 PM..
Old 10-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #20 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakins View Post
sorry for the late response! i finally got photo bucket to work. this is my idea. just an idea right now. ive seen other roof wings you can buy but they arnt designed for aero dynamis, just show. this is a wing from my nissan 240sx. obviously the ends stick out to far and will need to be delt with.
I think it sticks too far out on the sides, no? I can't imagine that it won't produce more trouble than its worth, aerodynamically. Perhaps you could cut it, but that would probably defeat the OEM look. I think you'll want something else, closer to what brucepick tried, I suppose.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
aero mod, kamm, tuft test