Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2012, 06:53 AM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Focus - '05 Ford Focus tdci Futura
I,m interested in the results in the bearings. How easy they would turn while free. Maybe put some of thos grease in de slide of the brakes while there of.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-19-2012, 03:07 AM   #32 (permalink)
Mechanical engineer

Siitin - '98 Seat Cordoba Vario
90 day: 58.56 mpg (US)

VW Lupo 3L --> 2L - '00 VolksWagen Lupo 3L
Diesel
90 day: 104.94 mpg (US)

A8 luxury fuel sipper - '97 Audi A8 1.2 TDI 6 speed manual
90 day: 64.64 mpg (US)

Audi A4B6 Avant Niistäjä - '02 Audi A4b6 1.9tdi 96kW 3L
90 day: 54.57 mpg (US)

Tourekki - '04 VW Touareg 2.5TDI R5 6 speed manual
90 day: 32.98 mpg (US)

A2 1.4TDI - '03 Audi A2 1.4 TDI
90 day: 45.68 mpg (US)

A2 1.4 LPG - '02 Audi A2 1.4 (75hp)
90 day: 24.67 mpg (US)
on the bearings side.

Couple of weeks ago I already loosened the old rear wheel bearings. I took them out, took the sealings out and took old grease out with brake cleaner and pressure air gun and put that stock redline grese in. Left side bearing was so worn out that I could disasseble it to peaces. It did not cure the noise issue so I had to replace it with a new SKF bearing.

Here are the rotating times before and after.
- Old bearings free rotating time when you give the speed with your hands. average time was about 8 seconds.

- Worn out bearings, cleaned and added redline bearings grease. I left them slightly loose. Average time was 55 seconds and that is huge difference. My previous best with my old car was 26 seconds. That "broken" bearing rolled the longest time best was 70 seconds. So it is wise to clean and change your bearing grease sometimes. I also did coasting tests on long downhill sections which length was over 2 kilometers. Start speed was 40 km/h. It did coast further about 10 meters. I did not do many of those costing tests. I also drived my fuel consumption test route and got best result so far.

- New bearing stock grease taken out and added Redline bearing grease with WS2 mixed grease. Average rolling time 28 seconds. This I was tighthened tight vs the loose old bearings. I dont want to brake my new bearing intentionally. Leaving them little bit loose dont necessarily brake the bearing but dont want to take the chance. My bearings are closed type bearings so dont mix them with bearings that need to be left little bit loose and have little play in them. Is it trapezoidal bearings like these ones. Google-kuvahaun tulos kohteessa http://12.153.160.115/images/catalog/full/191598625.jpg

For the brake caliber slides that grese should be ok. You can also coat your brake caliber cylinder walls if you use air brush gun.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/vesatiainen/

Vesa Tiainen innovation engineer and automotive enthusiast
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
friction, lower, tungsten disulfide, ws2