Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2015, 05:51 PM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk618 View Post
How did the mechanic mix the tar filled air filter and other things you found on your own?
They told us about them, and that the car was in good shape despite them.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-21-2015, 08:30 PM   #32 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

OK, I guess I was confused, because I used to set the timing on my cars, but I was at my mechanic today and asking him about that timing belt "1 tooth off" thing, and he explained that it was cam timing, not ignition timing, which is set by the computer. Now come to think of it, this Teal car, which had the timing belt changed by the dealership before we bought it from them, is also making a little grinding sound internally when I accelerate too hard. Didn't think it was anything to worry about - I've never driven a Civic before this, BUT in light of this possibility, now I'm wondering if it is off by 1 tooth?

How can that be checked and fixed, if need be? Is it costly?
Old 04-21-2015, 08:32 PM   #33 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Here are a couple mods you can do that will improve fuel economy: complete upper grill block, partial lower grill block, lawn-edging air dam, raise tire pressure, remove power steering, injector kill switch. Then hypermile moderately and these cars will probably top 50mpg for you without overmuch work. All of these mods and more, as well as fairly heavy and very dedicated hypermiling have been my mainstay for over 4 years now... in a car almost identical to yours.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:58 PM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Here are a couple mods you can do that will improve fuel economy: complete upper grill block, partial lower grill block, lawn-edging air dam, raise tire pressure, remove power steering, injector kill switch. Then hypermile moderately and these cars will probably top 50mpg for you without overmuch work. All of these mods and more, as well as fairly heavy and very dedicated hypermiling have been my mainstay for over 4 years now... in a car almost identical to yours.
I'm not into actual hypermiling - that seems way extreme for me ( no AC for example, putting it in neutral down hills... ). And this is an automatic ( I used stick shifts years ago, but they were a pain ). But I am interested in getting the best mileage and power out of it, as I can reasonably expect with prudent driving. But it looks like the Teal car needs a little work first. I've been getting 32-36 with it, but like I said, the assertiveness and smoothness is lacking, compared to the Silver car that we just got. ( both '98 Civics with the same model engine )

My mechanic suggested a can of BG44K too, this afternoon, so I filled up and added that. But I cant help wonder about that timing belt change, just before we got it, and if it isn't a little off.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:11 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
I'm not sure if it's the same on SOHC cars, but I did a belt on a DOHC Honda last year and when I first started it, it hardly ran. One of the cams was off 1 tooth and it was completely unusable. Good thing it only took maybe 20-30 minutes to correct.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:33 PM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I'm not sure if it's the same on SOHC cars, but I did a belt on a DOHC Honda last year and when I first started it, it hardly ran. One of the cams was off 1 tooth and it was completely unusable. Good thing it only took maybe 20-30 minutes to correct.
This is why I'm wondering about it. When I hit the gas a little hard, there's like a grinding sound to the firing. And of course, it doesn't have the assertiveness and smoothness of the one we just bought, with the same engine. Idling, it does a little rough bumpy misfiring.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:52 PM   #37 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
One tooth off can make the SOHC cars run oddly for sure. But the fix is more than a 30 min affair. Wheel, crank pulley, one engine mount, both timing covers, and the belt tensioner and belt have to come off to adust it. I id the job successfully last summer. For me, inexperienced, it took a long time, but even the experienced will need a couple or a few hours. Be sure this is the issue first by eliminating simpler possibilities first, I'd say.

EDIT: suspect the fuel system maybe too... you had cruddy air filter... how about fuel filter?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:00 PM   #38 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
One tooth off can make the SOHC cars run oddly for sure. But the fix is more than a 30 min affair. Wheel, crank pulley, one engine mount, both timing covers, and the belt tensioner and belt have to come off to adust it. I id the job successfully last summer. For me, inexperienced, it took a long time, but even the experienced will need a couple or a few hours. Be sure this is the issue first by eliminating simpler possibilities first, I'd say.

EDIT: suspect the fuel system maybe too... you had cruddy air filter... how about fuel filter?
No, you're mixing up the cars. The timing belt was changed on the Teal Civic that we got in January, AND the dealership did a bunch of things on that one, including air filter. I did the fuel filter after we got it.

On the Silver one we got last week, THAT was the one with the clogged air filter, and I changed that and the plugs, and had a mechanic change the fuel filter this week.

But as far as the Teal one ( January ) having less power than the Silver one, and idling a little bumpy, I just called the dealership where we bought the first 98 ( Teal ) Civic back in January, and told them that a couple of mechanics I know, are wondering if, when they changed the timing belt before selling it to us, it might have gotten "1 tooth off". They said that for them to run a complete diagnostic is $115 and takes a couple of hours, and if it IS that, it would be no charge to fix it. I'd also certainly hope that, if it IS that, they would waive the diagnostic charge too.

But we have to have time to drop it off with them.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:29 AM   #39 (permalink)
Needs More Duct Tape

Slambo - '99 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 44.21 mpg (US)
Android and iPhone apps are a less alternative to dedicated devices like the ScanGauge and Ultragauge. You'll need an inexpensive wireless OBD dongle (under $20): Bluetooth for Android, Wifi for iOS. The Torque App is free for Android. The DashCommand App is $10.

The AutoMeter EcoMeter is a colorful, and compact alternative. While it doesn't deliver all of the deep data of the SG and UG, the color sweep display keeps your eyes on the road. (Disclaimer: AutoMeter helped Kickstart my Ain't Fuelin' pilot.)

More maintenance stuff: fuel system clean, PCV valve, switch to high mileage full synthetic oil on the next oil change and low rolling resistance tires when it's time for a tire change.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:08 PM   #40 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPGomatic View Post
Android and iPhone apps are a less alternative to dedicated devices like the ScanGauge and Ultragauge. You'll need an inexpensive wireless OBD dongle (under $20): Bluetooth for Android, Wifi for iOS. The Torque App is free for Android. The DashCommand App is $10.

The AutoMeter EcoMeter is a colorful, and compact alternative. While it doesn't deliver all of the deep data of the SG and UG, the color sweep display keeps your eyes on the road. (Disclaimer: AutoMeter helped Kickstart my Ain't Fuelin' pilot.)
That UG II is a great price for what you get, I think we'll get 2 of those.

Quote:
More maintenance stuff: fuel system clean, PCV valve, switch to high mileage full synthetic oil on the next oil change and low rolling resistance tires when it's time for a tire change.
Like I said, I'm not hypermiling, but we've been getting a synthetic blend oil from the mechanic. Is full synthetic THAT much better on MPG?

Reply  Post New Thread