Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2014, 01:52 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtRitter View Post
Puzzled by this... isn't that what the EPA sticker on the car tells you? What the FE of the car is based on a set of common tests (applied equally to all cars) as specified by the EPA?
Yup.

A common set of tests that is either woefully pessimistic (for us) or woefully unrealistic (for people on the other end of the bell curve).

The problem is, EPA auditing is spotty enough that a lot of cars slip through the cracks with numbers that are not comparable to other cars on the same driving cycle. Per-variant testing is expensive, but it's probably time the EPA (or some independent third-party) took over testing duties from the manufacturers.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-08-2014, 03:09 AM   #22 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
I prefer to err on the side of freedom of speech and caveat emptor. Besides, all of the misleading fuel economy figures the marketers are trumpeting are canceled out by the knuckle-dragging troglodytes from Consumer Reports and Car & Driver that claim far below EPA figures for the vehicle.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 05-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #23 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
Yup.

A common set of tests that is either woefully pessimistic (for us) or woefully unrealistic (for people on the other end of the bell curve).

The problem is, EPA auditing is spotty enough that a lot of cars slip through the cracks with numbers that are not comparable to other cars on the same driving cycle. Per-variant testing is expensive, but it's probably time the EPA (or some independent third-party) took over testing duties from the manufacturers.
I agree it's not perfect, and I have no doubt that manufacturers try to game the system especially since money's on the line. However, since the test procedures are publicly available, it is possible for others (outside of the manufacturer or EPA) to "sanity check" the manufacturer's results. That's a benefit of having quantitative testing. And if the test results fall outside a reasonable range, then there is a way to challenge the manufacturer's results with the EPA (as was done with Hyundai back in 2012).
Old 05-08-2014, 02:29 PM   #24 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
I think the MPG data should be presented as a series of 4-curves, with MPG on the Y-axis and MPH on the X-axis. In descending order, the curves would be:

1) MPG vs MPH with driver only, no A/C
2) MPG vs MPH with driver only, A/C operating
3) MPG vs MPH with driver, max. passenger(s)/load, no A/C
4) MPG vs MPH with driver, max. passenger(s)/load, A/C operating.

Initially, the data would come from actual, on-the-road vehicle tests, but as soon as the preliminary data was collected and analyzed, computer-simulations would be sufficiently accurate enough to eliminate further road-tests...until something aerodynamically or mechanically on the subject vehicle was changed.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:39 PM   #25 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Unfortunately, that's not likely to make a difference... Too much information for the average consumer, and still gives the manufacturer options to tweak the numbers ("Of course a 50lb driver is realistic!"). Probably the best approach is for the consumer to understand that "their mileage may vary" from the posted value (if he/she even cares about that).
Old 05-08-2014, 03:36 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Maybe the rating should be split into 3 categories, reflecting driving style.
Some cars, especially hybrids with an automatic gearbox, compensate somewhat for bad driving style as they regain some of the energy wasted on excessive braking and such.
Other cars, like the tiny turbo ecodiesels, start using loads of fuel when revved.

We need not one but 3 combined ratings; one when driven spiritedly, one when driven averagely and one when driven eco conscious, let's call that the CAH rating.

My car (41 MPG EPA combined rating) may have a CAH rating of 33/41/55 MPG.
My colleagues Skoda Fabia 1.2 TDI would have a CAH rating of 30/45/70 MPG or something like that.
So if you are foot heavy you'd know the Fabia would not save you anything compared to the Insight, while if you hypermile you'd save a lot.

Btw. CAH stands for Clarkson/Average/Hypermiler. Other acronyms are still possible at this stage

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #27 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Even that isn't enough to get more accuracy. Flatland vs mountainous, urban vs rural, windy vs calm, and altitude and humidity are going to have impacts too. Might have to add, does a train cross in front of the motorist at any point, and for how long, and is that period going to be engine on or off?

How in the hell can any test regimen take into account all the variables and give everybody dead-nuts accurate numbers? Should the consumer have to fill out a questionnaire- providing inputs for variables for their specific conditions- before they are granted access to any mpg estimates? Key word being ESTIMATES. Is the test supposed to provide every individual motorist with the exact average mpg they actually get, or is it supposed to provide the consumer comparative information between models?

I don't see the problem with the current system. You look at the number, you consider your own circumstances, you adjust your expectations accordingly.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (05-08-2014)
Old 05-08-2014, 09:33 PM   #28 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Well, if EPA can't provide more accurate numbers, maybe they should "require" smarter buyers (wink,wink)!
Old 05-08-2014, 10:07 PM   #29 (permalink)
Intermediate EcoDriver

Trigger - '07 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Coupe
Team Mustang
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.76 mpg (US)

Big Red (retired) - '89 Ford F-250 4wd Custom
90 day: 18.13 mpg (US)

Big Red II - '13 Ford F-150 FX4
Pickups
90 day: 19.61 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Baloney! 1st gen EPA were darned high and virtually unobtainable by non-hypermilers. 2nd gen EPA was easily obtainable by simply driving sensibly. 3rd gen EPA has been dumbed down to reward idiotic driving. Anyone that can't get EPA now ain't doing it right.
I've only gotten under EPA HIGHWAY mpg with my Mustang ONCE. And I had to do a few things wrong to achieve that. YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguitarguy View Post
Just 'cuz you can't do it, don't mean it can't be done...
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
The presence of traffic is the single most complicating factor of hypermiling. I know what I'm going to do, it's contending with whatever the hell all these other people are going to do that makes things hard.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:11 PM   #30 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonMods View Post
I would have to agree with most of you when speaking about the chevy cruze. No I do not have the cruze diesel unfortunately . But I was most frustrated by the window sticker claiming I would get 42 mpg highway and that I do but only when the highway is flat seamless road. I fight to get above 42 mpg on my 26 mile commute to and from work..
My cobalt which is just a old generic looking cruze has an average of about 47mpg over the lifetime of ownership. It gets the best fuel economy at steady speeds well below the 65mph limit.

My guess is that you live in a cold state, you have an automatic and you must not have the best hypermiling ability.

Unless of coarse you have a mix of in town and highway, then getting 42mpg is actually impressive, since any city is going to drop you real fast due to the low rating in the city.

Now if you had a manual transmission, I would say there is something wrong.

Cheers
Ryan

Reply  Post New Thread