Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #71 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
But the Brit version comes with a lass, while the Italian original includes a guy behind the wheel. Take your pick...

Anyhow, I can see why you called the british version a sad imitation: I dunno about the inside workings, but they installed the steering wheel on the wrong side. Of course, you'll say that that's one of the few improvements over the original
It got worse my Polish friend, not only was the wheel on the "Right" side, it was also.....

Square.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #72 (permalink)
The PRC.

PS - Double Brucey Bonus - what was the Allegro (in)famous for, aerodynamically.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #73 (permalink)
Super Lurker!

Rusty - '88 Chevrolet S10 base
90 day: 23.72 mpg (US)

Doc - '08 Honda Civic EX-L
90 day: 29.6 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
I think those 2 trucks look quite nice myself. I think a more "extreme" drop is what was in mind in the original posts - the ones where putting a sheet of paper in the back would result in a scraped exhaust or sump.
Well first of all thank you, but for what it's worth both of my trucks were about as low as you could drop them with off the shelf parts. If you want go go any lower you almost have to use some kind of adjustable suspension. The vast majority of trucks that are lower are running air ride suspension and they can raise them up if necessary. I don't care if people don't like the style of these trucks, and everyone absolutely has a right to their own opinion, but I am just trying to debunk the idea that these trucks are no longer useful when modified or lowered.

Here are some more "ugly" trucks for everyone's perusal...

Oh and for what it's worth in the future I'm also planning on installing air ride on my truck... and it will absolutely still be a truck and I will still haul stuff with it.

Like I said before if you don't like the style of our trucks that's fine because I'm certainly not going to hold a gun to anyone's head and make them drive one. We build them for ourselves I just hate the stereotypical comments that we always get like "you should have just bought a car," "you ruined that truck and it's usless now" or "it can't even make it over a speedbump." Also people think, or sometimes even out right tell us that we waste money on our trucks by building them this way, but the truth is everyone has hobbies, and this is ours. I don't fish, or bowl, or scuba dive, or build model airplanes, or collect spoons, or play video games or go to the movies, go hunting, or play golf, or travel the country, or do any of a zillion other hobbies that people have. For me this is it, I'm a car guy. I build my trucks this way because this is my style and it's what I enjoy doing. If you don't like my truck that's fine but don't tell me it's useless or I should have just bought a car.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #74 (permalink)
The PRC.

From my perspective (I am 3000 miles away - yeah, the internet goes overseas now, who would have thought eh ?...) I have never had the need of owning a truck at all. The 2-3 times I have needed one in the last decade borrowing or renting one has worked out fine. And none of them have been American and none of them have been a pickup and all have been 4 cyl Diesel - Transit van anyone ?

North America is (or seems) the only place on earth where the idea of owning a truck "just in case" seems to work, and IMHO North America seems to be the only place where this kind of vehicle really exists - well, also maybe Australia. Pickups and crew cabs do exist elsewhere but they tend to be smaller than the US average and 4cyl turbo-diesel powered.

There is a message there, I am not going to go after it.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #75 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I maintain that lowered trucks are lame, having to drive diagonally over normal road irregularities and speedbumps is lame, having to slow down for those things is lame, and taking a perfectly functional vehicle and reducing its capabilities for nothing more than looks is lame.

It's OK, I do lame stuff too like leaving my safe and comfortable house to sleep in a cold tent among wild animals on the hard ground... but I acknowledge it's pretty dumb when viewed objectively. Maybe people drive dumb lowered trucks around for one of the same reasons I camp, to experience discomfort and hardship as a visceral reminder of how good it is when you're not in something uncomfortable and impractical.

<edit> - the above is meant to be good-natured, anyone whose favorite car gets clowned in this thread should be able to laugh about it.

Last edited by shovel; 10-18-2012 at 05:18 PM..
Old 10-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #76 (permalink)
The Dirty330 Modder

CruzeRS - '15 Chevy Cruze LT RS
90 day: 41.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovel View Post
I maintain that lowered trucks are lame, having to drive diagonally over normal road irregularities and speedbumps is lame, having to slow down for those things is lame, and taking a perfectly functional vehicle and reducing its capabilities for nothing more than looks is lame.

It's OK, I do lame stuff too like leaving my safe and comfortable house to sleep in a cold tent among wild animals on the hard ground... but I acknowledge it's pretty dumb when viewed objectively. Maybe people drive dumb lowered trucks around for one of the same reasons I camp, to experience discomfort and hardship as a visceral reminder of how good it is when you're not in something uncomfortable and impractical.
Which is why i feel 2wd air bagged trucks are fine when you need some height just pump it up

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing."
- Henry Ford
Old 10-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #77 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gealii View Post
Which is why i feel 2wd air bagged trucks are fine when you need some height just pump it up
On highway can get it lower, improving fuel-efficiency, but often some more clearance is desirable. That's a reason I like adjustable suspensions.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #78 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

"ugly cars that gross you the worst!"

Cars with noisy engines are ugly! LOL!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ethan For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (10-18-2012), Piwoslaw (10-19-2012), shovel (10-19-2012)
Old 10-19-2012, 07:19 AM   #79 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovel View Post
the above is meant to be good-natured, anyone whose favorite car gets clowned in this thread should be able to laugh about it.
Yeah, that. Heck, I took my lumps when the whackos on this board called my Saab 95 non-ugly...
Old 10-19-2012, 11:05 PM   #80 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan View Post
Cars with noisy engines are ugly! LOL!
The Nissan LEAF is extremely quiet but ugly as hell. Even the bland Nissan Versa is better-looking

Reply  Post New Thread