Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > The Unicorn Corral
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2014, 01:57 PM   #71 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Steady on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulcrusher View Post
Awww. This is my custom air flow controller since the engine runs opposite to normal. All the gas is always ready, just add air. It's connected to the throttle body control and adjustable. You see the pcv and temp sensor in the replacement air connection. For day 3
Good pictures and progress reports. Keep it up. Don't let others dissuade you.

I would like a diagram and a clearer idea of where you may be going with all this. Hand drawn pictures are acceptable. Setting your working principles before you build can save much time and effort.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-17-2014, 02:02 PM   #72 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Your efforts deserve a thread of it's own.

I suggest posting a thread of your own so that you are not piggy backed onto a previous thread. It will have to stay under the Unicorn Corral, but it may be brought out in the future if you are able to have proven working principles and hardware. It does make it easier for folks to find you.

Make an effort to do updates on a regular basis as that promotes interest.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:50 PM   #73 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Here is some evaporating testing I did with pump gasoline verses VP C16 race fuel.

8 oz of each fuel poured at the same time.

One minute:

Two minutes:

Three minutes:

Four minutes:

Five minutes:

Anyway I would love to talk about some of my findings, but I'm late right now for a BBQ.
Will be back later and maybe you can start your own thread to continue the discussion?

The Following User Says Thank You to pgfpro For This Useful Post:
RustyLugNut (08-18-2014)
Old 08-17-2014, 02:51 PM   #74 (permalink)
Mad Scientist

well this will never be planned for production I'm sure somebody already owns a patent on this, probably a manufacturer or oil company.

I know it's not going to be the prettiest thing in the hood for a long time. I want the working test to be cheapas can be without sacrificing safety. The rubber manifold will be replaced, hose for braided, etc. I'm actually on my way to the store right now to get a reverse flare tee so I can tie on my fuel line at the fuel rail to activate a valve when I need to refill my gas reservoir from the main tank other than that my fuel pump is never on.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:56 PM   #75 (permalink)
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
Good pictures and progress reports. Keep it up. Don't let others dissuade you.

I would like a diagram and a clearer idea of where you may be going with all this. Hand drawn pictures are acceptable. Setting your working principles before you build can save much time and effort.
Most is in my head. If I'm planning or theorizing I sometimes make schematics to visualize more. When I get time to start a new thread Ill link it but I need to wrap this up, take pics. Then I'll draw up what is happening in addition to the pics.

I'm also going to post a video soon proving it running
Old 08-17-2014, 04:00 PM   #76 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nameless - '06 GMC Canyon
90 day: 37.45 mpg (US)

22 Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XL
90 day: 41.9 mpg (US)
Quote:
I'm sure somebody already owns a patent on this, probably a manufacturer or oil company.
No need to worry about patents, there's plenty of expired patents that you (or anybody) can copy. Here's a few:

After a patent expires, any person can legally and ethically copy it.
06 Canyon: The vacuum gauge plus wheel covers helped increase summer 2015 mileage to 38.5 MPG, while summer 2016 mileage was 38.6 MPG without the wheel covers. Drove 33,021 miles 2016-2018 at 35.00 MPG.

22 Maverick: Summer 2022 burned 62.74 gallons in 3145.1 miles for 50.1 MPG. Winter 2023-2024 - 2416.7 miles, 58.66 gallons for 41 MPG.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:35 PM   #77 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
Tax payer dollars should not be wasted.
Bah dum cha. Thanks. I'll be here all week.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:54 PM   #78 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,520 Times in 2,794 Posts
Quote:
Awww. This is my custom air flow controller since the engine runs opposite to normal. All the gas is always ready, just add air. It's connected to the throttle body control and adjustable. You see the pcv and temp sensor in the replacement air connection. For day 3
Looks like stuff I would build when I was a kid.
This is very satisfying.
Please post more pictures of your "work", I am really enjoying them.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:57 PM   #79 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Google transonic combustion for the next generation of fuel injection. Mixing air and fuel outside of the combustion chamber is a recipe for KABOOOM!!!!!!

regards
Mech
Old 08-18-2014, 04:36 PM   #80 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Why do you continue with this drivel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Looks like stuff I would build when I was a kid.
This is very satisfying.
Please post more pictures of your "work", I am really enjoying them.
It doesn't provide anything constructive and reflects badly on you.

Why don't you put down others on this forum who use nothing more than duct tape and cardboard to mod their cars? How about the pie tin and coroplast crowd? Are zip ties allowed?

Suffice it to say, I do what you do on a daily basis and more. But I do so to a level that is commensurate with professionals in the respective trades. I was working in an autobody shop at age 12 in the days before bondo was a respected material and consequently I learned hammer and dolly techniques and stretching and shrinking and leading. I gas weld, I stick weld, I MIG weld and I TIG weld. My welds are still to be found on autos, bikes and light aircraft as well as nuclear vacuum tubes and high pressure boilers. I regularly weld in steel, stainless, aluminum and titanium. Are you capable of mirror TIG welding a back shielded stainless tube/plate joint that will be visibly, ultrasonically and occasionally X-ray inspected? If you can, I know a project engineer at Fermi Labs who has just fired the third guy who said he could do so.

These are just some of the skills I had gathered by the time I was a 19 yr old and had completed a certificate at the local junior college in metal working trades. I continued to work in the technical trades even as I finished my engineering degrees and licensing and was often working in those dual capacities. I just enjoy building and crafting.

But after years of training and experience and currently performing prototype design and development for various companies and individuals, the process that amazes me the most is still the garage inventor who builds to the level that something is actually working. I have seen devices brought to me made up of an old bread box and stereo/phone components that actually worked! It ended up being developed and produced and making it into medical imaging departments in two dozen hospitals before I left the project. I just finished a consultation and redesign of a camping implement brought to me by a couple who are outdoor enthusiasts. The item they brought me was made largely of beer cans and coat hanger wire. I kid you not! But, it worked and proved the point. After redesign and a proper production ready prototype they have a manufacturing concern lined up and a possible shelf space in REI for their device.

I am still a big fan of the garage inventor and the process of turning ideas into hardware. I applaud soulcrusher, pgfpro as well as yourself, for contributing to the one area of ecomodder that has not been well explored - engine design and development. People will say the internal combustion engine(ICE) is already well developed and there is nothing left to gain, but I beg to differ. A quick look at the heat flow through an engine shows very clearly that most of the thermal energy is still wasted. Your work with turbo diesels probes capturing the lost energy in the exhaust stream. Soulcrusher is attempting a system that will reduce wasted energy upstream. Pgfpro is doing both.

At some point, driving techniques, mass reduction and aerodynamic drag reductions reach their limits. At that point , we start looking for savings in rolling reduction, friction loss elimination and reducing engine losses. Of course the all electric guys are going to point out the advantages of dumping the ICE all together, but that is another discussion all together.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RustyLugNut For This Useful Post:
oil pan 4 (08-18-2014), pgfpro (08-18-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread