Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2019, 02:50 PM   #61 (permalink)
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The ultimate Previa would be an AWD supercharged five-speed unit with the Hot/Cool box and the Canadian dashboard with a tachometer.

Permalink #25
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
Huh. The Mazda 5 always struck me as a mid sized car with third row seating, not a minivan.
Ya, me too. But on the other hand, ask anyone what three rows of seats and sliding doors and you'll get the answer "minivan."

But on that note of third row seats, it kind of bugs me that cars seem to be getting bigger and yet seat fewer people than before. When I was a kid there were station wagons that had a third row in the back that faced backwards. (Or parents just put their kids there without seats or seatbelts.) A lot of the mid and full sized cars and SUV's had front bench seats that held 3 people there instead of just two.

To me it's nice having an extra seat. Just one seat can make the difference between taking two cars or just one car. And in my circumstances, that happens a lot. If I wanted a fuel efficient 6 seater, my options would be either a MAZDA5 or a 1990's Buick LeSabre.

I might get a minivan or even full sized van instead and just keep the hybrid we have now and go back to owning two cars. The hybrid would be our main run around car. And when we need to haul people or stuff we could use the van. But I'll probably wait until I get this car paid off.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-29-2019, 06:12 PM   #62 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
My favorite thing about the Previa is the loft line. That is the line that follows the top from the front bumper to the rear. It's a completely convex curve — compare anything that has an angle at the base of the windshield. A worthy successor to the VW Type II.

Better surface development than the new VW electric van.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zackary (01-29-2019), slowmover (02-03-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 07:02 PM   #63 (permalink)
Full sized hybrid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
My favorite thing about the Previa is the loft line. That is the line that follows the top from the front bumper to the rear. It's a completely convex curve — compare anything that has an angle at the base of the windshield. A worthy successor to the VW Type II.

Better surface development than the new VW electric van.
All my Spanish speaking friends call them "huevitos" (little eggs) because they look kind of like the shape of an egg.

I just have to say it again. MID ENGINE SUPERCHARGED! That's cool, even if it's a minivan! I'm going to look at some on Craig's list now.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:54 PM   #64 (permalink)
Full sized hybrid.

Talking about a van with my wife, she suggested maybe just renting a van when we really need one. But when pricing I found that a weekend with a minivan would cost me about $750! And when we really need a van it's usually for a couple weeks, not a few days.

Part of the problem is that I don't get any insurance from my credit card if the vehicle is anything other than a normal, non-luxury car. So I have to add the loss damage wavier to the already triple price of the van.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:51 PM   #65 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zackary View Post
Talking about a van with my wife, she suggested maybe just renting a van when we really need one. But when pricing I found that a weekend with a minivan would cost me about $750! And when we really need a van it's usually for a couple weeks, not a few days.

Part of the problem is that I don't get any insurance from my credit card if the vehicle is anything other than a normal, non-luxury car. So I have to add the loss damage wavier to the already triple price of the van.
Every insurance company I've had a policy with extended the same coverage you have on your personal car to any vehicle you rent. I would call your company to check. There is no reason to purchase insurance from the rental car company unless you have no personal auto insurance.

I rented a Dodge Grand Caravan this past summer when I had family in town. It was $319 for a 7 days.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zackary (01-30-2019), slowmover (02-03-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 07:24 PM   #66 (permalink)
Full sized hybrid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Every insurance company I've had a policy with extended the same coverage you have on your personal car to any vehicle you rent. I would call your company to check. There is no reason to purchase insurance from the rental car company unless you have no personal auto insurance.

I rented a Dodge Grand Caravan this past summer when I had family in town. It was $319 for a 7 days.
I'll check that out. If my insurance company doesn't I'll see if another does. I'm kind of upset with my insurance company anyway. When I went to just one car instead of two my insurance went up instead of down.

I wonder what I can do to find deals like yours. It's hard finding vans under $150 a day around here. Maybe that's just the area, I don't know.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:55 PM   #67 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
I'll check that out. If my insurance company doesn't I'll see if another does. I'm kind of upset with my insurance company anyway. When I went to just one car instead of two my insurance went up instead of down.
Your total policy when up or your cost for the remaining car went up? It is normal to get a multi-car discount that would go away but the total cost for one car should be less. You will also get a better price buy bundling all your policies together: Car, Homeowners, Umbrella, etc.

I shop insurance every 2 years. Companies often are willing to give a new customer a better price than an existing customer to win the business.

Quote:
I wonder what I can do to find deals like yours. It's hard finding vans under $150 a day around here. Maybe that's just the area, I don't know.
National is charging $459 a week to get a van from the Denver airport.

Ways to get a better rate:
1. Use your company's discount code. If they don't have one search online for one.
2. Book through Turo. Minivans in Denver are renting for $60 to $100 a day.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:35 PM   #68 (permalink)
Full sized hybrid.

Quote:
Your total policy when up or your cost for the remaining car went up?
The total went up by over $5 a month. The multicar discount was more than the price for the extra car apparently. I already have just one insurance company too, except for my business liability, which is a different broker.

Quote:
Ways to get a better rate:
1. Use your company's discount code. If they don't have one search online for one.
2. Book through Turo. Minivans in Denver are renting for $60 to $100 a day.
I'm self employed. Maybe one out of Denver would work. But the last time I went to Denver it took me 9 hours to get back home due to weather. It's usually 4 or 5.

I have seen full sized 15 passenger vans near Denver for as low as $100 a day. Makes me want to take a bunch of the family on a road trip!
Old 01-30-2019, 09:04 PM   #69 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
The total went up by over $5 a month. The multicar discount was more than the price for the extra car apparently. I already have just one insurance company too, except for my business liability, which is a different broker.
Sounds like they don't want your business. You can usually get a discount by paying the premium in one payment instead of monthly.

Quote:
I'm self employed. Maybe one out of Denver would work. But the last time I went to Denver it took me 9 hours to get back home due to weather. It's usually 4 or 5.
Ah, you live out in the country. That explains a bit.

As for codes you could use one of these: https://www.hotelcorporatecodes.com/...ate-codes.html

I've always used my current company's code (they encourage it) but no one has ever checked if I actually worked for the company.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zackary (01-31-2019), slowmover (02-03-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 03:59 PM   #70 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
The hotel my company prefers I stay in LV gives them rooms for about half the normal rate. I'm able to book personal stays at the company rate too. The Staybridge on Dean Martin for $110/night is a great price, especially considering free dinner Mon-Wed.

Pretty sure car rentals are cheaper through my company too.

Finally, I've been using my company travel portal to book personal travel since it also searches airlines not usually included in the other search websites, such as Southwest.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zackary (02-01-2019), slowmover (02-03-2019)
Reply  Post New Thread