Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2020, 12:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakitaDiesel View Post
TL: DR - the cause of this 15 year headache has been a faulty sensor ground (D22) that tested fine but would intermittently short while the car was running. ...

... To summarize, I hate wiring and it is occasionally the work of Satan.
An epic and unenviable troubleshooting timeline. Did you get that satisfying feeling of success in fixing it?

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-16-2020, 09:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
That is persistence!
Old 07-16-2020, 11:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
That is persistence!
Get that feeling we might not see MakitaDiesel again for a few more years?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-17-2020, 12:43 AM   #14 (permalink)
The Practical Modder

Thunder - '85 Honda CRX Si
90 day: 44.84 mpg (US)

Lightning - '89 Honda CRX HF
Last 3: 46.25 mpg (US)

The Darkness - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 41.84 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Get that feeling we might not see MakitaDiesel again for a few more years?
Ha, if that ends up being the case then I'll be consistent as well as persistent.

To answer your question, I haven't relaxed enough while driving it to fully accept that it may be fixed. The other shoe surely will drop any day now and the old problem will surface once again in my mind. It's as if it stormed every single day you got in your car for 15 years then one day it was bright and sunny. Why isn't it raining you'd say. This was my first swap, my first serious project car ever and it gave me maybe 4 weeks of smooth operation in over 15 years. The cruise/buck occured enough to illicit a permanent scowl but other than a cracked solder joint in the main relay she has started and ran the entire time so I just tolerated it the best I could. I still expect it to drive like **** but it just doesn't now. Amazing. I feel I almost have to drive it an equivalent amount of time with this great drivability to make up for lost time with a garbage idle and hours of trial and error. To top it off, the fix was free.

Mak
Old 07-17-2020, 12:52 AM   #15 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakitaDiesel View Post
... Amazing. I feel I almost have to drive it an equivalent amount of time with this great drivability to make up for lost time with a garbage idle and hours of trial and error. To top it off, the fix was free.

Mak
Yes. Drive it another 15 years. My goal with my car is to drive it forever, gradually replacing parts until one day I look at it and realize I have replaced, repaired, or modded/rebuilt the entire car.

I have been driving this 1998 Civic since June 2001.

Old 07-17-2020, 01:21 AM   #16 (permalink)
The Practical Modder

Not sure how feasible that is for this car, honestly. 10 years ago I built a '97 Civic Hatch DX + '98 D16Y5 to replace my then trusty (but rusty) '85 CRX Si with 260k. Next I bought an '01 Insight for daily duties and the '89 HF was on the chopping block as it was the oldest car in the trio. Due in part to the cruise/buck issue I sold the '97 Hatch to a friend who was in need of reliable transportation because I didn't want to sell him a (perceived) clunker with a constant stutter. Fast forward to present day and my latest creation is a '00 Insight with a K24a2 swap three years in the making. It should be road worthy by year's end. The '89 HF is back to being the oldest. Both Insights are aluminum bodied and impervious to rust, have A/C, airbags and I don't need three cars. The CRX has them in cornering no contest. We'll see how the swap turns out, no decisions will be made until she proves trustworthy and any kinks are worked out. All electrical grounds will be suspect until proven innocent.

Mak
Old 07-17-2020, 01:23 AM   #17 (permalink)
The Practical Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
I have been driving this 1998 Civic since June 2001.
19 years is a long time with anything, much less an economy car. That So Cal climate helps. We aren't the north but winter salt and humidity eat frames here if proper care isn't taken.

Mak

Reply  Post New Thread