Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

VX intermittent shift light and no check engine light

94 vx. In the last 10k miles replaced distributor, o2 sensor, cleaned egr ports and valve. I can tell the vtec solenoid is still working, as it changes the cam duration about 2800rpms. Sometimes if I downshift and let the car engine brake, the shift light will start working. Once it works if i turn the car off and immediately back on, it doesnt work again. Im stumped. Not sure what makes the shift light function that would be malfunctioning and not cause a check engine light. Gas mileage has dropped alot with this issue. Any suggestions? I didnt do anything to the car right before it stopped working, all the work was done about 6months to a year ago. The shift light will randomly start working after driving the car a while sometimes. Mpg is significantly down with this issue.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Sparky - '07 Toyota Prius Base

Voltage_kwh - '18 Chevy Volt LT
90 day: 151.04 mpg (US)

Voltage_gas - '18 Chevy Volt LT
90 day: 43.38 mpg (US)
Do you have anything to tell you if it is going into Lean Burn mode or not? I had a 94 VX and was troubleshooting a miss that it had and I know that when I unplugged the O2 sensor that the shift light did not work and obviously no Lean Burn. The shift light itself would not contribute much to a loss of mpg so it seems like it is more likely something keeping it from Lean Burn. Maybe make sure the O2 wiring is good and not touching anything?

Old 07-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Burn lean and prosper\\//

VLX - '93 Honda Civic VLX
Team Honda
90 day: 51.1 mpg (US)
my vx and my vx swapped sedan act weird sometimes. it seems to be temperature related. or maybe drive time? in the winter time my sedan's light would almost never work until i got near home driving through town. in the summer it worked all the time from the moment i pulled out til when i got home. im now driving my vx hatch and it doesnt work until i get home like my sedan does in the winter. it weird :/

either way it doesnt seem to affect mileage or lean burn
Old 07-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I dont have anything to monitor lean burn. I recently replaced the dist. and I never reset the ecu. I have no check engine light but codes 8 and 9 are stored. Im going to reset the ecu and see if that helps but I don't think it will. Car runs good, no odd issues. Literally just out of the blue decided to start getting crappy mileage and no shift light. I just cant think of what could be malfunctioning that controls the shift light but wouldnt cause a CEL. Map sensor? It used to give me a shift light from the minute I pull out of my driveway. Now even if I get the shift light working, I can turn the car off and start it right back up and no light again. Im stumped. I have found a few threads with similar issues as mine but never a solution. Anyone know what exactly the shift light runs off of? Im assuming the vss, tach signal, map sensor, temp sensor and .....?
Old 07-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxtwo50r View Post
I just cant think of what could be malfunctioning that controls the shift light but wouldnt cause a CEL.
An open in the wire to the shift light? A dead bulb?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The check engine light works when the car is turned on before starting it and when I run a ecu code check. The shift light works right before the car is started and also if I redline it in neutral it comes on just before redline. I have eliminated the fact that either light is burned out.

I titled the post that way because 99% of the time when someone says their shift light doesn't work they dont realize that if their check engine light is on the shift light doesn't function. I have no CEL and a random shift light. Also very decreased mpg.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I don't think the shift light problem is causing the fe drop but I will share this: years ago the shift light on my Tempo started behaving erratically; when I got underneath the car to trace the wire from the transaxle I saw that probably the last foot or so of the wire was corroded and the insulation was bad. I soldered in good wire and it's been fine ever since.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Is there any connection to the shift light not working and any component you replaced.
Without a CEL and your mileage has tanked, I would suspect the 02 sensor. Is the 02 sensor OEM or aftermarket. Even the drag of a tire low on air could affect the shift light, but the major loss of mileage without an ignition issue of a CEL points to the sensor (02).

I'm not sure but I would think the ECU would be the source of the shift light signal, based on the input form various sensors, in particular MAP.

regards
Mech
Old 01-08-2014, 12:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

hX-TREME!!! - '97 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 54.75 mpg (US)

450sX-TREME!!! - '95 Nissan V8 240sx

chodercycle - '06 kawasaki ninja zx6r 636
Hey I just wanted to bring this back because I'm having the exact same problem. Did the op, have any luck? I know a long time ago I got a code for the primary of and it was acting up but it seemed to stop. It still get into lean burn. As of recently it has been doing a misfire code but It turns off by itself every once in a while and my shift light won't work.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

hX-TREME!!! - '97 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 54.75 mpg (US)

450sX-TREME!!! - '95 Nissan V8 240sx

chodercycle - '06 kawasaki ninja zx6r 636
I switched map sensors and it didn't do anything.

Reply  Post New Thread