Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2009, 11:23 AM   This thread is in the EcoModder Project Library | #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
Went (almost) all out on my 6th gen civic

The first thing I did was make a simple HAI/WAI by plugging up the existing intake pipe, cutting a hole in the filter box, and attaching a 3-inch heating duct to the filter box via a 3in-2in PVC conversion. I used PVC cement and aluminum tape. The pvc jutting into the filter box actually prevented the filter from setting all the way in, so I cut the filter away to fit it over the pipe only to discover that opened up slits of direct, unfiltered air. For now I just closed them up with some silicone stuff, but I am going to end up cutting the top of the pipe so I don't have to cut every filter I buy if the WAI ends up working.

Then the real fun began. I acquired a big sheet of coroplast that juuust fit into the back seat of my car... it was probably 4.5' x 3.5'.. Just shy of being able to make 4 wheel covers. I thought I might have better results by making wheel skirts anyway, so on a whim I did it. The coroplast was free courtesy of a local sign shop - I asked if they had any scrap corrugated plastic, and that I didn't care what was on it, and they just gave it to me. I apologize in advance for the blueness of the images, as I forgot I had my WB manually set for a more warm tungsten setting, not blindingly bright daylight.

Any suggestions on this little problem would be appreciated. You can kind of see in the next two images what I did to combat it - I just cut small pieces to plug up the hole, but its still pretty blunt and perpendicular to airflow.

Hard to see because it was getting a bit dark out, but that's a partial grill block.

Mirror delete. I did this and the wiper removal earlier this week. This was actually not that hard. Cut plexiglass to fit the void. The passenger side of the car is noticeably quieter in hwy driving.

-1 wiper. Tested it on a rainy day and felt comfortable with just one wiper... or should I say it "provided me with reasonable driving vision".

I made sure to look up NY state law on wipers and mirrors:
Quote:
...Every such motor vehicle shall be equipped with suitable wipers or
other device which shall clear a sufficient area of the windshields to
provide reasonable driving vision.
Quote:
It shall be unlawful after July first, nineteen hundred
sixty-seven to operate on any public highway in this state any motor
vehicle registered in this state, manufactured or assembled on or after
such date, and designated as a nineteen hundred sixty-eight or later
model, unless such vehicle is equipped with an adjustable side view
mirror which shall be affixed to the left outside of such vehicle and
which shall be adjustable so that the operator of such vehicle may have
a clear view of the road and condition of traffic on the left side and
to the rear of such vehicle.
And interestingly enough:
Quote:
§ 1216. Coasting prohibited. The driver of any motor vehicle when
traveling upon a down grade shall not coast with the gears of such
vehicle in neutral, nor with the clutch disengaged.
At least I'm safe on flat ground There was absolutely no other mention of coasting, engine on or off, or whether your engine has to be on or off at stop lights.

In summary: Free coroplast!, No wheel covers, wheel skirts, WAI/HAI, partial lower grill block, mirror delete, -1 wiper.

I didn't get much of a chance to test it out, only a little test drive. The IA temperature was certainly higher than normal, and I'm pretty sure I saw an MPG increase, but only time will tell. Stand by for more solid results.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-25-2009, 11:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Wow, that's an impressive list of mods. I'm looking forward to seeing your MPG improvement.

If I got a ticket for coasting downhill, I'd pay the fine, and have the ticket framed and mount it on my wall.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Good stuff! I need to look up the NJ laws on mirrors.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Civic 4 Life

Civics Lesson - '08 Honda Civic LX
Team Honda
90 day: 40.53 mpg (US)
Way cool! What was your plan for wheel covers, and when do you think you'll do those?

Can't wait to see how it improves your FE.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
I can't see if you have a coupe or a 4-door. If the latter, you can make a little fairing that goes on the door, and matches the contour of the fender skirt. On a coupe, most skirts I see would benefit from big overlaps starting at the body side, not the existing flare at the wheelwell itself. You can get a sharp edge on Coroplast with a hair dryer or heat gun and gentle pressure, the better to smooth the transition. That's more rugged than a carved edge.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
What was your plan for wheel covers, and when do you think you'll do those?
As soon as I go back to the sign place asking for more coroplast, or if McTimson goes there and ends up with extra. (I saw an ad on craigslist for WTB: coroplast. I replied to the poster and said I was looking too, and that we should let each other know if we find any - that person ended up being ecomodder member McTimson ).

My plan was either to cut up existing wheel covers and gluing circular coroplast pieces to them, or just attach the coroplast by wires or something... I often go into things with a vague plan and improvise. The pictures were taken at my parents house where there is a garage fully stocked with junk, material, and drawers and drawers of fasteners and parts. Whatever I do has to (at least for the rear wheels) be as flush with the wheel as possible, as you can see in the last picture of the passenger side wheel skirt that wheel cover - that had to come off because it jutted out too much and brushed against the skirt.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XLT
90 day: 38.65 mpg (US)
Lookin' good!

You should take some pictures of the full car for a better idea of how the skirts look. From those pictures though, it looks real nice.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Wonderboy -

Fantastic work! I know it sounds odd, but your side-view mirror delete looks cooler to me see-through. Even if it's faux, it gives me that nostalgiac "vent-window" look.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 04-26-2009, 07:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Nice work!

Based on your wheel skirt photos, if I try it I think I'll make the skirts longer by maybe 8-10 inches, so the bottom forward corner ends up further forward. Then maybe the skirts leading corner can hug the molding and the body there.

I did a WAI. There's no tube in mine; it sucks in air heated by the rad and whatever heat comes over from the exhaust system. ScanGauge shows the intake temps are about 30 deg. F above ambient outside temps. Same filter box as on your car.

Last edited by brucepick; 04-26-2009 at 04:51 PM..
Old 04-26-2009, 08:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I think I'll make the skirts longer by maybe 8-10 inches, so the bottom forward corner ends up further forward.
You'd have to get pretty creative at getting that coroplast to pucker in because that dip between the bottom-most plastic and the side body lasts (at gradually decreasing depth) all the way up to the front wheel well. The only ay to do it that I could think of was to drill into the body which I'm not prepared to do, except for my upper wheel skirt brackets.

Quote:
I did a WAI.
What kind of results has it yielded? What exactly is your car? When in your fuel log did you add (subtract I should say) it?

Forgot to thank Bicycle Bob, good suggestion, I didn't know coroplast responded to that. My car is a coupe.