Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2008, 07:29 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
The Japanese cars of 1972 were such abominations that they had no place to go but up. All the same they saw their MPG reduced when the first US air pollution standards were promulgated. Toyota and Honda did not really get their current customer base built up until the mid-80s.

VW lost the Beetle to air pollution regs and the Rabbit struggled to sell in the US.

Don't kid me about the 70s and 80s. I was there.

Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-26-2008, 10:47 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Hello,

Honda is introducing three new hybrid models next year, in addition to the Civic Hybrid:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i...kWRKwD90PTF0O0

Quote:
In addition to the new [unnamed] hybrid, Honda will introduce several other hybrids: a Civic, a new sporty model based on the CR-Z and a Fit subcompact, sold as the Jazz in Europe
Quote:
The new hybrid's name was not yet disclosed. It will be a five-door sedan seating five passengers, and feature new technology that reduced the size and weight of the hybrid system to increase fuel efficiency
Info on the Fit Hybrid:
http://www.businessweek.com/autos/au..._honda_fi.html

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 05-26-2008, 11:32 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Is Honda still selling the Ridgeline?
Is Toyota still selling the Sequoia and Land Cruiser?
Is Nissan still selling the Armada?
Is Volswagen still selling the Touareg?
Is M-B still selling the Gelandewagen?

I think the answer is yes in all cases.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:57 PM   #34 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Is Honda still selling the Ridgeline?
Is Toyota still selling the Sequoia and Land Cruiser?
Is Nissan still selling the Armada?
Is Volswagen still selling the Touareg?
Is M-B still selling the Gelandewagen?

I think the answer is yes in all cases.
Oh get real. The manufacturers build what customers want to buy. If customers didn't want these cars, the manufaturers wouldn't build them. Simple as that. Nobody is forcing you to buy a g-wagen. When the demand for these vehicles dries up, then they will stop making them.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I couldn't agree more, tjts1. Manufacturers make what people buy. That is just as it should be.

But we have posters her posting about "...escalade/Yukon insanity..." Well somebody buys the damn things, so manufacturers make them. People aren't buying them and they are piling up on dealers' lots. Guess what? The manufacturers cut back production.

We get another post about Honda introducing more hybrids, but they, too make gas-hog SUVs and pickups.

Just introducing a little balance.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:46 PM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Not only are they piling up on the dealers lots, they are piling up at the manufacturers lots too. Just spoke to an old friend that works for a major manufacturer and he told me that their larger vehicles are piling up at the plant and they are running out of room to park them. Oh, but they are still building them. Anyone know what happens to all the new monster vehicles that don't get sold? Are they stripped for parts or just scrapped and recycled?
JJ
Old 05-28-2008, 02:29 AM   #37 (permalink)
dsq
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
The Japanese cars of 1972 were such abominations that they had no place to go but up. All the same they saw their MPG reduced when the first US air pollution standards were promulgated. Toyota and Honda did not really get their current customer base built up until the mid-80s.

VW lost the Beetle to air pollution regs and the Rabbit struggled to sell in the US.

Don't kid me about the 70s and 80s. I was there.
Im probably older than you but thats irrelevant.I was around in the 70s and remember quite well the rise of the imports and fall of the domestics and it certainly wasnt emission related but rather economy,quality.Honda and toyota were well established and had a solid customer base by the late 70s.I know,i was there.

Last edited by dsq; 05-28-2008 at 02:39 AM..
Old 05-28-2008, 02:48 AM   #38 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackstone View Post
Not only are they piling up on the dealers lots, they are piling up at the manufacturers lots too. Just spoke to an old friend that works for a major manufacturer and he told me that their larger vehicles are piling up at the plant and they are running out of room to park them. Oh, but they are still building them. Anyone know what happens to all the new monster vehicles that don't get sold? Are they stripped for parts or just scrapped and recycled?
JJ
That problem exists here. The Ford plant cranks out F-150s, but the stockpile is at its maximum space allowed. Dealers have them collecting dust, and the plant sits with them parked. Production has nearly ceased. They're focusing on the Escape/Tribute since FE is now a priority for buyers.

The used market and lease exchange agencies and bombarded by SUV/Truck owners wanting to bail.

It seems as if the fuel price hike may have a positive effect on the effort to reduce fuel consumption. Just look at the number of driving trips over Memorial day compared to years past. Record breaking declines.

Environmentally good, but hits fixed-income citizens pretty hard. It's a difficult give and take.

RH77

_
_
Old 05-28-2008, 06:43 AM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Greetings,

Honda overtakes Ford, and becomes the Number Three in the USA:

This is the 2009 Honda Fit, which will be available as a Hybrid (see my post above).

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 05-29-2008, 01:15 PM   #40 (permalink)
Ex-lurker

Skeeter - '05 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 35.55 mpg (US)
I'm loving this discussion

Yeah, car models are getting bigger and heavier to meet some arbitrary safety minimum. My 05 Corolla is massive compared to a 95 or 85 Corolla. The only new cars I see on the road these days that even compare in size to a CRX are the Crossfire and other 2 seat sport coups. I also read a report lately about the cost of accident repair increasing ridiculously high as well, but that's another discussion.

Lots of cars are coming out soon (hopefully) that will be small, light, inexpensive, and efficient because the demand is there now. There is nothing that says they can't be made, only that before gas prices went nuts people were eating up the giant APCs and V12 twin supercharged bricks as commuter friendly. Supply and demand. Demand changed and supply will change with it.

I'd love to see a resurgence of the old high FE lines without all the fat of having to be safe vs the SUV behemoths; you'd probably save 800 lbs on average. Move to composite body panels and aluminum frames and there's another chunk of weight saved. Please do away with automatics; I can buy a new one for the cost of having one fixed!

Unfortunately we'll have to wait for any of that (and the killing of the automatic is as likely as outlawing iPods). Till I can go out and buy (or make) my dream car, I'll just keep blaming the general consumer population for being a pack of morons.