Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2008, 10:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Lancer - '00 Mitsubishi Lancer GLX
90 day: 30.28 mpg (US)
what else can i do to improve fc?

hi,

i've managed to consume 15Km/L from my recent measurement. the fastest route that i can take can only give me a top of 60kph for around 5 seconds. i don't go through highways in my daily drive - only within the city.

so far, what i have done is p&g, coasting in neutral, shut off engine at stop light, gradual acceleration, right tire pressure (i don't want to go higher than factory specs).

my car is all stock (no performance mods), recently tuned up (new oil, oil filter, air cleaner, fuel filter, plugs). timing is stock advance. carb is newly rebuilt.

afaik, aero mods won't do me any good since i can't go higher speeds.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-11-2008, 12:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mr. Blue Tape

AzxA - '06 Scion xA
90 day: 42.72 mpg (US)
Even some aero mods can't hurt though you're right -- they make a bigger impact as speed increases. In lower speeds, tires become more important. If you're comfortable with the pressure have you considered getting low-rolling resistance tires?

Do you have a way to get instaneous feedback on your driving? A Scangauge II could help you "calibrate" your driving techniques and tune where you can get the most bang for your FE by giving you the information to you at that moment.

My 5 pillars of fuel efficiency:
  • driving style
  • aerodynamics
  • tires
  • weight reduction
  • engine maintenance
Old 07-11-2008, 12:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

15km/L in city? I'd say you're doing really well. The 'nut behind the wheel' has been finely tuned. Your biggest improvements now are probably going to be from Low Rolling Resistance tires, and reduced weight.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by azraelswrd View Post
Even some aero mods can't hurt though you're right -- they make a bigger impact as speed increases. In lower speeds, tires become more important. If you're comfortable with the pressure have you considered getting low-rolling resistance tires?

Do you have a way to get instaneous feedback on your driving? A Scangauge II could help you "calibrate" your driving techniques and tune where you can get the most bang for your FE by giving you the information to you at that moment.
i can't use scangauge. i am using a carb engine. i'll be looking for a vacuum gauge
Old 07-11-2008, 06:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figjam74 View Post
15km/L in city? I'd say you're doing really well. The 'nut behind the wheel' has been finely tuned. Your biggest improvements now are probably going to be from Low Rolling Resistance tires, and reduced weight.
as of weight reduction, what can you suggest? i am all stock - that is no modifications of any sort. so far, i am carrying with me my spare tire, scissor jack, and a socket wrench for the tire. i can't live without having a spare, although its a good weight reduction.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
right tire pressure (i don't want to go higher than factory specs).
The car factory or tire factory? You might have some mpg gains waiting for you right there.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
You're pushing past 30mpg in town, I'd say you're doing great.

If you're doing that much getting about in town, how much could you offset with alternate modes, like a scooter or bike? Bikes with add-on motors can shut down on hop onto bike trails for the ultimate in convenience.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

car factory. my car manual suggest a 28 psi in front and 26 behind. higher than that, im feeling jerky.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
as of weight reduction, what can you suggest? i am all stock - that is no modifications of any sort. so far, i am carrying with me my spare tire, scissor jack, and a socket wrench for the tire. i can't live without having a spare, although its a good weight reduction.
How much do you want to spend? How hardcore do you want to be?
Comprehensive guide on a drifting forum (Mild to Hardcore)

My advice would be to start pricing lighterweight components to be replaced as they fail (seeing as it's almost 10 years old already). Things like suspension and exhaust are good candidates since they tend to be the things that wear out first.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figjam74 View Post
How much do you want to spend? How hardcore do you want to be?
Comprehensive guide on a drifting forum (Mild to Hardcore)

My advice would be to start pricing lighterweight components to be replaced as they fail (seeing as it's almost 10 years old already). Things like suspension and exhaust are good candidates since they tend to be the things that wear out first.
so far, i have already changed the shock absorbers and the coil springs to new ones. i switched to replacement parts. in this way, i am still maintaining my stock height. the only difference is that i came from a fluid type of shock absorbers. now i am using a gas-type kyb excel-g

Reply  Post New Thread