Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2013, 12:59 AM   #141 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Horse with no name - '00 Ford Mustang Base
Team Mustang
90 day: 20.53 mpg (US)

Orange peel - '00 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 26.83 mpg (US)
Doug Engelbart was a man ahead of his time. In 1968 He demonstrated the computer mouse, the user interface with icons, networked computers with file sharing and hypertext.

More air less fuel is a man who is way ahead of his time. In 1987 he built a high MPG car. I can't think of any production car today that exceeds his design. With the stainless steel frame it will last him a long time.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #142 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Oh man, don't even mess around with software. Just upload it to TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting. It's free and you don't need a membership. Upload, then grab the link with the IMG tags. Drop that straight into your post.

Props on the build!
Old 07-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #143 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ennored View Post
It's obviously from the future. Did it speed up to 88 MPH as it drove off?
An ecomodder from the future came back to fill up with cheaper fuel? No wait! A hypermiler never goes as fast as 88 MPH...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
The car companies cannot match a genius with a garage.
Maybe because a genius with a garage is building one car, for a one-person niche market, not 15000 cars to make all of the power-hungry soccer moms happy.

BTW: Aren't there other threads about how to upload images?

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 07-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #144 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
I'm home from a trip to Germany, doodling in the right lane most of the time, but eager to try out the top speed where allowed and reasonably possible.
Got passed by several cars speeding at 200 km/h or more, but every time I had a go and reached 140 km/h someone pulled out from the slow lane just in front of me so that I had to brake hard again
140 km/h is 87 mph...
At least now you don't have to wait 30 years for this message

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #145 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
I'd love for MALF to post his entire story. He's finally hit the 5-post mark so he can include pictures.

Everything: motivation for building. Deciding on priorities (as in, why a slippery ecomobile instead of a sand rail or a powerful little go-kart). Choosing major DNA sources (VW vs. whatever). Construction. Predicated construction (custom headlight covers necessitating a homebrew vacuum former). Needing to weld. Needing to modify a welder to do the welding.

Yeah, I'm asking the guy to write, essentially, a small book. But it's a helluva story and I would be willing to pay for it.

Tell you what, MALF - write it and put it on Amazon as an e-book and I'll pay up to $5.00 for it. I don't even own an e-reader, I'll sit at the computer and read it there. But it's worth telling and I want to see it. Yeah, I'm greedy. But not so greedy that I don't think it's worth something.

If you want to share it with us for free, that's very cool and downright generous of you. But if you want to make a buck off it, I'll pony up.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #146 (permalink)
halos.com

ECONORAM - '07 Dodge RAM 1500 QC SLT flex-fuel
90 day: 18.16 mpg (US)

the Avenger - '08 Dodge Avenger SXT
90 day: 27.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
What I do is go into the folder with my big full version pictures, left click them, open them in "paint", if the picture is say 400kb I use the reduce size and cut them down to 40% or 50% of their original size (make 1 size reduction or the shurken pics will look grainy), then crop off unneeded portions of the picture, "rotate image", turning it up side down and cropping off more if needed, rotate back to original then click "save as" a jpeg and rename the picture the same thing as before with the letters "sm" on the end, put the pic in the same file as the original picture so that way you save the larger original picture, have and can find the smaller version for posting on the forums right next to it.

You want to get the jpeg kb size down to 120kb for this forum I think?

Or send them to me lol.
I suggest you save a copy of the picture with a different name, then shrink it. I've goofed up too many pictures I want to keep by not doing that...
Old 08-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #147 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
74 mpg @ 60 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by More air less fuel View Post
I might go to the Shriners Car Show in Webster NY. tonight. Depends on the weather and if it really is tonight or if it's Sunday. A post early in this thread talks about one on July 14, that is Sunday, doesn't seem right?
I have done some more mpg testing without any special techniques like pulse and glide. Having trouble getting more than 74 mpg at a steady 60 mph over a 140 mile ride with the cruise on. I would like to drop some cylinders, but that is another project!
I dug through my rats nest and located a CAR and DRIVER mpg road test for a 1980 VW Rabbit/Golf Diesel.
Here are some numbers:
*steady 20 mph = 76 mpg
*steady 30 mph = 70.5 mpg
*steady 40 mph = 65.5 mpg
*steady 50 mph = 57 mpg
*steady 60 mph = 46.5 mpg
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
74 mpg at 60 mph is a 59.13% mpg improvement.It's a remarkable achievement!
Old 08-04-2013, 03:15 AM   #148 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
...or one could say " the same mileage at 60mph the stock car has at 20mph." That's a 300% improvement!

200%? I'm not sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-05-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #149 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
...or one could say " the same mileage at 60mph the stock car has at 20mph." That's a 300% improvement!

200%? I'm not sure.
Aerodynamically speaking,it's off the charts!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #150 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Wheel toe is not trivial....

Last spring I spent some time setting the caster, camber, and toe on all four wheels. This is not all that easy on this car as everything is located with rod ends. The degrees of freedom are not separated in an elegant fashion either. (If I were to do it again, it would be different)
I had set the camber to zero (straight up) and the toe to zero (straight ahead) knowing that this would yield the lowest rolling resistance at a slight loss in directional stability. A compromise I was willing to accept....
Last week I had a nagging suspicion that maybe I should check and see if all my settings stayed put. Being as much of a headache as it is to check and adjust, I decided to get started. What I didn't mention was the fact that I do not have any alignment equipment or a rack system. All this is done with tight music wire, levels, squares and plumb bobs for reference. Toe is accomplished with bars on spacers bolted to the face of the wheels and rotating the tire on the ground 180 degrees to get a front of wheel and back of wheel measurement.
After filling the fuel tank and placing 160 lbs. in the drivers seat I checked front and rear wheel toe. As I thought, it moved. Both sets of tires had about 0.200" total toe. 0.100" at each wheel.
This is due to the fact that the suspension has "settled" because of engine and road forces during driving. Any clearance in bolt holes allows fasteners to shift and find a new home. When I made this car, I used the least amount of drill clearance I could get away with, but it all adds up. Many bolt holes....
I reset everything to zero and went on my usual test ride after filling the tank to an exact point with a graduated cylinder.
The first time out, I came home and didn't believe the numbers so I did it two more times today. This is kind of a pain is the butt, considering I have other things to do....But this is what really drives me. (no pun intended)
After calculating three times, the new mileage at a steady cruise controlled 60 mph is 85 mpg. It was 74. I realize this sound absurd, and that is why I did it three times. But it is true.
Just thought you guys would like to know.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to More air less fuel For This Useful Post:
ChazInMT (08-06-2013), christofoo (04-30-2014), Ecky (03-16-2014), ECONORAM (08-13-2013), Fat Charlie (08-07-2013), Frank Lee (08-06-2013), mikeyjd (08-07-2013), Piwoslaw (08-07-2013), Rishar (05-17-2014), some_other_dave (08-07-2013), whatmaycome14 (12-21-2013)
Reply  Post New Thread