Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Saving@Home
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2023, 10:37 PM   #51 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
Just chiming in, having moved to a milder climate. I arrived in June (start of winter) and it is now around the peak of summer. I can count on one hand the number of times I've cycled a heat pump here. Many homes are still single pane glass and lack insulation in the walls. It's a rare day that isn't comfortable with some variation in clothing.

Paying for heating and cooling is for the birds.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-08-2023, 11:57 PM   #52 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard
That's apparently a thing in Finland, north of the artic circle from what I saw in an oddball house building rpogram
DEW radar line, Antarctica, etc.

There's also advantage at the other extreme. In a torrid climate the dome would be opaque with an oculus. The internal toroidal airflow is reversed, up against the shell and down in the middle.

In mild climates the problems become ingress/egress and sound.

Old 01-10-2023, 10:48 AM   #53 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Just chiming in, having moved to a milder climate. I arrived in June (start of winter) and it is now around the peak of summer. I can count on one hand the number of times I've cycled a heat pump here. Many homes are still single pane glass and lack insulation in the walls. It's a rare day that isn't comfortable with some variation in clothing.

Paying for heating and cooling is for the birds.
Hows the cost of living over there? A friend from NZW moved here because he said it was unaffordable to live over there. We commonly ship random **** over there because it is cheaper here.
Old 01-10-2023, 02:33 PM   #54 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden55 View Post
Hows the cost of living over there? A friend from NZW moved here because he said it was unaffordable to live over there. We commonly ship random **** over there because it is cheaper here.
After all of the inflation in the US over the last few years:
-Rent/buying in the capital city is similar or a bit less than PNW prices
-Wage ceiling is lower, but the floor is higher - US brings up its average with high earners

-Taxes are lower
-Utilities are cheaper (electricity, phone, internet)
-All food except meat and dairy is cheaper
-Restaurants are cheaper (I can eat for $6-8usd)
-Used cars are cheaper
-Car insurance is not mandatory and much cheaper (I pay $8usd per month for optional coverage)
-Healthcare is basically "free"
-Virtually no heating or cooling costs

-Meat and dairy cost more
-Fuel is more expensive (equiv $6.00usd/gal for 87)
-Tools are more expensive
-Building materials are more expensive (paint, drywall, etc)
-Consumer goods are either equivalent or more expensive - most electronics seem about the same, but sometimes random things like can openers are oddly pricey.

I had some coworkers recently get back from the 'States, and they stated they'd always had the perception it was more expensive to live here, but they were shocked by the cost of everything in the US (now). Overall I'd characterize the cost of living as being more than, say, West Virginia or Georgia, but less than Massachusetts or Oregon, while wages are more Massachusetts.

That is, unless you factor in healthcare. I sprained my shoulder a few days ago. A friend asked, "do you want me to call an ambulance?" and my brain nearly broke. I walked into a clinic, had about an hour wait, saw a doctor (nice long session where I could ask some general questions), then he wrote me a note to take to radiology across the street. Another 30 minutes and I had xrays (no damage). At the front desk I was told they'd send my records to my primary doctor and get me booked for an ultrasound in a few days. No mention of payment for anything. In the US I would simply have avoided medical care, and that's how I would have controlled costs.

If you have a meat and dairy heavy diet, buy a lot of consumer goods, and drive a large vehicle, you might find the cost of living pretty high.

Last edited by Ecky; 01-10-2023 at 02:42 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
hayden55 (01-10-2023)
Old 01-10-2023, 03:31 PM   #55 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
After all of the inflation in the US over the last few years:
-Rent/buying in the capital city is similar or a bit less than PNW prices
-Wage ceiling is lower, but the floor is higher - US brings up its average with high earners

-Taxes are lower
-Utilities are cheaper (electricity, phone, internet)
-All food except meat and dairy is cheaper
-Restaurants are cheaper (I can eat for $6-8usd)
-Used cars are cheaper
-Car insurance is not mandatory and much cheaper (I pay $8usd per month for optional coverage)
-Healthcare is basically "free"
-Virtually no heating or cooling costs

-Meat and dairy cost more
-Fuel is more expensive (equiv $6.00usd/gal for 87)
-Tools are more expensive
-Building materials are more expensive (paint, drywall, etc)
-Consumer goods are either equivalent or more expensive - most electronics seem about the same, but sometimes random things like can openers are oddly pricey.

I had some coworkers recently get back from the 'States, and they stated they'd always had the perception it was more expensive to live here, but they were shocked by the cost of everything in the US (now). Overall I'd characterize the cost of living as being more than, say, West Virginia or Georgia, but less than Massachusetts or Oregon, while wages are more Massachusetts.

That is, unless you factor in healthcare. I sprained my shoulder a few days ago. A friend asked, "do you want me to call an ambulance?" and my brain nearly broke. I walked into a clinic, had about an hour wait, saw a doctor (nice long session where I could ask some general questions), then he wrote me a note to take to radiology across the street. Another 30 minutes and I had xrays (no damage). At the front desk I was told they'd send my records to my primary doctor and get me booked for an ultrasound in a few days. No mention of payment for anything. In the US I would simply have avoided medical care, and that's how I would have controlled costs.

If you have a meat and dairy heavy diet, buy a lot of consumer goods, and drive a large vehicle, you might find the cost of living pretty high.
I think i would be in trouble but yeah it does sound nice over there.
Old 01-12-2023, 08:58 PM   #56 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
All food except meat and dairy is cheaper
Odd enough, New Zealand was AFAIK the biggest exporter of lamb meat. But anyway, maybe the higher cost of meat would be a good motivation to raise chickens, and maybe even rabbits as a source of red meat.

Quote:
Used cars are cheaper
Not to mention how easy it is to find some good deal on JDM stuff. Had I been there, probably I'd be tempted to pick some 4WD kei microvan.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
Ecky (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 11:25 PM   #57 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
I'm always delighted at how tasty and affordable pork products are (sometimes with exception of bacon). I might just increase my pork intake.

Problem with chicken is it tastes like chicken, which is to say like nothing. I'll take mine deep fried.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 01-13-2023, 09:48 AM   #58 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A good one I like to use is to buy the $2.49/lb USDA choice cheapo brisket from Walmart during the winter. The moment memorial day hits they are usually $7.50/lb-$9+
Usually I just trim them up and put them in a chest freezer ready to go. Don't have to eat the whole massive thing at once you can cut them into 1/3s.
Cheaper than hamburger meat per pound even after trimming.
redpoint5 (01-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 11:50 AM   #59 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
I've been getting into sous vide and wanting to experiment with cheaper cuts of meat. Will probably cook up a flat iron steak this weekend. Throw the marinade in while it cooks in the sous vide, then sear it as hot as possible a minute per side when you're ready to eat.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 01-13-2023, 04:40 PM   #60 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I've been getting into sous vide and wanting to experiment with cheaper cuts of meat. Will probably cook up a flat iron steak this weekend. Throw the marinade in while it cooks in the sous vide, then sear it as hot as possible a minute per side when you're ready to eat.
sous vide is nice. We usually cook our smoke meat in the oven submerged with salt water at 170 for a couple hours (you can go as long as you want its up to you) and then slap it on the grill to smoke and turn into what you would think of when you think of smoked meat.
The longer you can cook it without drying it out the more tender it will be. Hence why us po folk love smoking. It'll make anything edible lol.