Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Saving@Home
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2023, 12:31 AM   #71 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I'm not saying people should eat raw bacon bits on their salad
Some folks enjoy raw "pata negra" Spanish ham anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
@cripple rooster: ever do a tagine? Pretty much Same spice mix, same cooking process but has a tangy fruit component of maybe tamarind, prune or apricot and a couple of really large onions. Then cook all day until the onions break down and disappear.
I guess you're refering to tahine, a sesame-based condiment, often used as a sauce on shawarmas.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-20-2023, 10:44 AM   #72 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,111 Times in 980 Posts
No tagine, a conical cooking pot combined with a long cooking process in the north african Mediterranean and the food processed within that pot.

Could be spelled with a "j" also as in Tajine.
Old 01-20-2023, 08:08 PM   #73 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
At this point i would just add that datalogging inside attic temps vs outside air temps would be a good way to go. Also if your ducts are close to the bottom of your floor in your attic just bury them with a bunch of insulation so the large temp difference in summer doesn't hardly make a difference as it really doesn't make it to the ducts. If you can bury your ducts in insulation and seal your celing and wall penetrations with expanding foam you should be as efficient as the new houses that are spray foaming their roofs but you don't have to air conditon your attic and you can work with what you've got.
Also, soffit baffles. You can just use cardboard and it helps you go edge to edge with insulation if you have loose fill. A lot of the time with loose fill houses they don't do much on the outer 1ft so it doesn't blow into the soffit baffles so essentially the top part of most of your outer walls aren't hardly insulated.

*Also, seal your ducts with mastic. We don't want any sucking or blowing from the attic into your ducts or house.

Coolcalc isn't that accurate for high performance but its helpful.
https://www.coolcalc.com/
Run this on your house boys and see where you're losing your energy. the report will tell you losses from ducts, windows, ceilings etc.
Old 01-20-2023, 11:40 PM   #74 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden55 View Post
If you can bury your ducts in insulation and seal your celing and wall penetrations with expanding foam you should be as efficient as the new houses that are spray foaming their roofs but you don't have to air conditon your attic and you can work with what you've got.
That expanding foam was used when new windows were installed in my apartment around 14 years ago. By now the building might be around 60 years old...
Old 01-20-2023, 11:43 PM   #75 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
The main thing is my intake is way inadequate for exhaust in my attic. Those monkeys whose only job is to know how to make a roof made no attempt to calculate anything.

No issues with insulation blocking the intake ports due to the design.

I've got a couple more hygrometer/thermometers coming, so I'll throw one in the attic. I lost signal to the non-logging unit I had up there, so I'll fish it out and replace it.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 01-21-2023, 12:00 AM   #76 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Those monkeys whose only job is to know how to make a roof made no attempt to calculate anything.
I don't know why, but it seems like nobody paid to make a roof still knows how to make a decent one. Should I try re-doing the roof of my kitchen by myself?
Old 01-21-2023, 12:44 AM   #77 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I don't know why, but it seems like nobody paid to make a roof still knows how to make a decent one. Should I try re-doing the roof of my kitchen by myself?
My lack of faith in so-called professionals is partly why I have a long project list.

My wife wants the interior walls painted, and I don't trust monkeys to do the simplest of things, like remove outlet covers before painting, that I've decided I'm doing it. Step #1 is to repair drywall damage. That's an art, and I'm terrible at art. So this is why the walls aren't painted yet.

Old 01-21-2023, 12:20 PM   #78 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
My lack of faith in so-called professionals is partly why I have a long project list.

My wife wants the interior walls painted, and I don't trust monkeys to do the simplest of things, like remove outlet covers before painting, that I've decided I'm doing it. Step #1 is to repair drywall damage. That's an art, and I'm terrible at art. So this is why the walls aren't painted yet.
landlord special. You just paint over the damage, window frames, plugs, switches etc...
Old 01-21-2023, 12:30 PM   #79 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden55 View Post
landlord special. You just paint over the damage, window frames, plugs, switches etc...
Drives me absolutely insane. I can tell the previous homeowner did a lot of their own painting here with how sloppy it was done. I don't think they even sanded when they painted the cabinets from green to white. Bump them, and the white peels off and reveals a the green coat.

For some reason it really bothers me when people get sloppy near the ceiling, and don't care that they've created green streaks on the white ceiling. Even if they're too lazy to tape it off, latex paint cleans up super easy such that just having a damp rag on you would be sufficient to wipe the big mistakes away.

I'm not looking for perfection, just doing the reasonable things like taping edges and removing outlet covers. At minimum, sanding patches in the drywall so it isn't a lump. I'm going to have to learn how to feather it in and retexture, because if I'm going to spend time on something, I want it done right.

... I've got a couple extra holes I made when installing my theater system. One of them I drilled thinking it led between the floor joists of the ceiling/floor above. I didn't conceptualize the staircase in-between, and was surprised to see light coming from the hole after I drilled it. I'm tempted to use a hole saw and just cut the right size from scrap drywall I've got, but I'm sure the professional repair would be to cut a square around the hole, then fill that.

Old 01-26-2023, 03:41 AM   #80 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

I have already done some painting at some houses and apartments, but it wasn't so sloppy. I remember when I went to Pelotas, and the apartment I rented there was missing much of its electrical wiring...

Reply  Post New Thread