Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2010, 10:01 PM   #51 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I doubt it's a "legacy" feature.

I'd guess the batt pack is there for mass centralization, and they also chose to NOT go under the floor with the pack to keep seating low for aero, among other things.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-07-2010, 10:47 PM   #52 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanidiot25 View Post

That interior looks awful.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:58 PM   #53 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Frank -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I doubt it's a "legacy" feature.

I'd guess the batt pack is there for mass centralization, and they also chose to NOT go under the floor with the pack to keep seating low for aero, among other things.
I mean legacy in the sense that GM engineers are applying the same design solution they applied in the EV1, most certainly for the very reasons you are stating :

They also had EV1 hybrid prototypes as early as 1999 :

General Motors EV1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
EV1 series hybrid
The series hybrid prototype[65] had a gas turbine engine APU placed in the trunk. A single-stage, single-shaft, recuperated gas turbine unit with a high-speed permanent-magnet AC generator was provided by Williams International; it weighed 220 lb (99.8 kg), measured 20 inches (50.8 cm) in diameter by 22 inches (55.9 cm) long and was running between 100,000 and 140,000 rpm. The turbine could run on a number of high-octane[citation needed] alternative fuels, from octane-boosted gasoline to compressed natural gas. The APU started automatically when the battery charge dropped below 40% and delivered 40 kW of electrical power, enough to achieve speeds up to 80 mph (128.8 km/h) and to return the car's 44 NiMH cells to a 50% charge level.

A fuel tank capacity of 6.5 US gal (24.6 L; 5.4 imp gal) and fuel economy of 60 mpg-US (3.9 L/100 km; 72 mpg-imp) to 100 mpg-US (2.4 L/100 km; 120 mpg-imp) in hybrid mode, depending on the driving conditions, allowed for a highway range of more than 390 miles (627.6 km). The car accelerated to 0-60 mph (96.6 km/h) in 9 seconds.

There was also a research program that powered the series hybrid Gen2 version from Stirling engine based generator. The program demonstrated the technical feasibility of such drivetrain, but concluded that commercial viability was out of reach at that time.

EV1 parallel hybrid
The parallel hybrid variant featured a de-stroked 1.3 L turbocharged DTI diesel engine (Isuzu Circle L), delivering 75 hp (56 kW), installed in the trunk along with an additional 6.5 hp (4.8 kW) DC motor/generator; the two motors drove the rear wheels through an electronically controlled transaxle. When combined with the AC induction motor which powered the front wheels, all three power units delivered a total output of 219 hp (163 kW), accelerating the car to 0-60 mph (96.6 km/h) in 7 seconds. A single tank of diesel fuel could keep the car running for 550 miles (890 km) with a fuel economy of 80 mpg-US (2.9 L/100 km; 96 mpg-imp).

A similar technology is used in the 2005 Opel Astra Diesel Hybrid concept.
A bird in the hand ... *sigh*

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 05-07-2010, 11:38 PM   #54 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
What I refer to as "T-Bone" battery packs have been a popular battery layout in several electric vehicles.

The Tropica had the batteries right down the middle like that, as do several NEVs.

The XR3 - a home-built Hybrid or Electric, from plans, has a tube straight down the middle, with spare batteries across the front.

Batteries have to go somewhere.
The most popular configurations tend to be:

1) T-Bone/center tube
2) Floor Pan/undercar
3) Sunken trunk/gas tank replacement (great for conversions)

A t-bone or center tube battery configuration is nice for hybrids, because it still allows for room next to or around it for the fuel and exhaust systems the engine needs.

For a Battery Electric Vehicle designed from scratch, a flat pan of batteries under the car works great. There's no exhaust system or anything else to get in the way of a battery case.

Home conversions usually put batteries in/under the trunk, or where the gas tank was. May as well make use of what space you can!

Cars like the Tesla Roadster have the batteries right behind the seats. Even though the Tesla is all electric, it is so low to the ground (and the body is designed by another company) that the batteries couldn't go under it. (My Metro has a bigger trunk than the Tesla!)

So, I would have to say that the battery configuration of the Volt is definately a compromise. The batteries have to go somewhere, and the hybrid design limits battery location, due to ICE components. Other EVs with t-bone batteries tended to be two-seaters. Who cares if the console between the two front seats is a little large?

Can't seat a fifth person in back or have as much fun at a drive-in? Might be a problem.

Here's the Tropica t-bone.

As you can see, the center console is a bit thicker than on most gas cars, but it doubles as an arm-rest, rather than being obtrusive.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Old 05-10-2010, 11:05 PM   #55 (permalink)
Modding for Eris

SilverCivic - '08 Honda Civic
90 day: 28.69 mpg (US)
So... the petrol engine on the volt doesn't recharge the batteries on the go? What's the point, then? That is a serious flaw!

Other than that, it doesn't seem like a terrible car. A standard GM offering, but not horrible.

I do agree with the fancy gauge overload, though. A SOC, Speedo and ammeter are all you need! And while my aircon is quite fancy, it has an on/auto button, an off button, and a temp selector. It does everything else itself (fair enough there are manual override buttons for all the different functions, but I don't usually touch that.)

Old 05-10-2010, 11:42 PM   #56 (permalink)
Ecomodder en route

Vib - '04 Pontiac Vibe base
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalass View Post
So... the petrol engine on the volt doesn't recharge the batteries on the go? What's the point, then? That is a serious flaw!
Yes, the Volt does recharge itself on the go, that's the whole point of having the ICE. In fact its called the range extender. Where did you hear that it didn't charge on the go?
Old 05-10-2010, 11:45 PM   #57 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
What I heard, but did not verify, was that the engine runs a generator, at a steady-state load/RPM (~80% Duty Cycle), which produces more power than the vehicle needs to cruise, so in the event that it's cruising and the engine is running, the excess charge goes through the motor into the batteries.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:49 AM   #58 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Thalass -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalass View Post

According to this, they are trying to protect the batteries :

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Hello -

I thought this was interesting :

2011 Chevrolet Volt - Chevy Electric Midsize Sedan - Automobile Magazine
Quote:
(Page 3) ... In Sport mode, the electric motor turns the front wheels with 149 horsepower through a single-speed gear reducer (versus 121 horsepower in the Regular mode). The 71-horsepower engine doesn't match that so the battery is allowed to drain a bit below the normal minimal state of charge threshold to assist. When regen is available, that 'borrowed' charge is restored. However, the battery is never fully replenished during driving because it's cheaper and greener to draw that power from the electrical grid by plugging in the charger. In pursuit of a 10-year, 150,000 mile service life, the strategy is to treat the 400 or so lithium-ion cells with kid gloves. That means charging the battery only after it's heated to room temperature by a system that circulates warm anti-freeze through its confines. Also, only half of the battery's full 16 kilowatts of energy is ever intentionally used. While GM has not specified the exact limits, the guess is that the state of the charge is never allowed to drop below 30 percent or rise above 80-percent in the interests of battery longevity.
CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 05-11-2010, 04:52 PM   #59 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Black Beauty - '09 Honda Accord EX-L
90 day: 27.44 mpg (US)
Cool

You guys got me with this topic. I spent a long time wondering why someone would not want a Chevy Volt.

Hmm... reasons why I would not buy a Chevrolet Volt:
1) I would be funding the Chevy pension plan.
2) I would be giving money to Union/Mofia crooks.
3) I would be endorsing a car company that crushed the EV1.
4) I would be accepting the fact that the car is just an upgraded EV1 and the $BILLIONS spent developing it were for nothing.

Yet... I will buy the EV1 or any other American Plug-In Hybrid because:
#1 I will purchase energy from American sourced fuel sources like Natural Gas and Coal.
#2 The energy required to charge an EV, if coming from a coal plant, is cleaner than the tailpipe of my 2009 Honda Accord.
#3 I will be part of the a new green revolution that no one can ever stop.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:04 PM   #60 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
My main reason for not buying it is that it costs as much as a house. Well, a really cheap house from the 1970's, but still a house!

My great uncles were in the Mafia. My great grandma Manini would always get really defensive if we brought it up.. "That's water under the bridge!"

As a side note, to be a member of the Teacher's Union at Graham Kapowsin High School, it cost me $55/month. To opt out, they were going to charge me $53/month. hahahaha. Isn't that annoying?

Tags
chevy, review, volt