Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2010, 03:16 PM   #41 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
superchow -

Good catch. It's strictly a 4-seater, so seating is not the issue.

Here is my uneducated guess. We don't see the horizontal cover panel that hides what's in the trunk. I can easily imagine a center piece attached to the trunk cover that is removeable and/or hinged to flip out of the way.

CarloSW2
That white-ish handle on the left rear side panel appears to be the cargo cover you're looking for? Possibly, unless it's a hard deck tray like many other hatchback cars have.

I don't really see an issue with not having a center panel between the seats, honestly. It's not like the 6" wide opening is enough to actually see what's in the trunk area, and in a hatchback, the trunk is never truly separate from the seating area anyway. I'm sure someone will complain that it looks incorrect, though.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-06-2010, 03:19 PM   #42 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

civic - '95 Honda Civic DX 3 door hatchback
90 day: 49.27 mpg (US)

SV - '03 Suzuki SV650 S
90 day: 52.23 mpg (US)
Besides that, the Nissan Leaf beats the Chevrolet Volt in any possible comparable manor. Anyone who purchases a Volt when they could have got a Leaf is absolutely foolish!
Old 05-06-2010, 04:18 PM   #43 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Formula - '96 Firebird Formula/Trans-Am
90 day: 19.31 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilcivic View Post
Besides that, the Nissan Leaf beats the Chevrolet Volt in any possible comparable manor. Anyone who purchases a Volt when they could have got a Leaf is absolutely foolish!
Unless you plan to carry more than two passengers or wish to go road tripping.

Lets see how far it can go

"All I know about music is that not many people ever really hear it. [...] But the man who creates the music is hearing something else, is dealing with the roar rising from the void and imposing order on it as it hits the air. What is evoked in him, then, is of another order, more terrible because it has no words, and triumphant, too, for the same reason. And his triumph, when he triumphs, is ours." -Sonny's Blues
The Following User Says Thank You to texanidiot25 For This Useful Post:
jkp1187 (05-06-2010)
Old 05-06-2010, 08:28 PM   #44 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

civic - '95 Honda Civic DX 3 door hatchback
90 day: 49.27 mpg (US)

SV - '03 Suzuki SV650 S
90 day: 52.23 mpg (US)
I can understand the road trip part, due to the volt being a hybrid and not a EV. But as far as the passenger cabin, the volt does not have any more useable space.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:30 PM   #45 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...the battery-pack is located "under" the hump, and bolts UP from the bottom.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:15 AM   #46 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Formula - '96 Firebird Formula/Trans-Am
90 day: 19.31 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilcivic View Post
I can understand the road trip part, due to the volt being a hybrid and not a EV. But as far as the passenger cabin, the volt does not have any more useable space.
It is not a hybrid in the traditional sense. The gas motor is only there to power the batteries, not the wheels. "Extended range" EV is what they call it I guess. An EV that can continue after the battery is discharged unlike the Leaf. Also, it has 4 seats and a fairly useful trunk (it's no Buick, but more than adequate). The Leaf to my knowledge is just a two-seater. Bashing the Volt because it has an advantage that doesn't make it a "pure" EV is just silly. They made it practical for an average consumer. Made for much longer commuting than the essentially city-only Leaf.

In the end, my apple is just better than your orange.

Lets see how far it can go

"All I know about music is that not many people ever really hear it. [...] But the man who creates the music is hearing something else, is dealing with the roar rising from the void and imposing order on it as it hits the air. What is evoked in him, then, is of another order, more terrible because it has no words, and triumphant, too, for the same reason. And his triumph, when he triumphs, is ours." -Sonny's Blues

Last edited by texanidiot25; 05-07-2010 at 02:20 AM..
Old 05-07-2010, 09:10 AM   #47 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanidiot25 View Post
It is not a hybrid in the traditional sense....... The gas motor is only there to power the batteries, not the wheels......The Leaf to my knowledge is just a two-seater...... Made for much longer commuting than the essentially city-only Leaf............
In the end, my apple is just better than your orange.
Hey! No spreading mis-information please!

1) The Volt IS a Hybrid - if you want to get really technical, it's a "plug-in serial hybrid". The engine ONLY runs electricity to the electric motor - you still have to plug it in to recharge it.

2) The Leaf seats 5. It is a 5 door (four doors plus hatch.)

3) As for "Made for much longer commuting..." - If your commute is 50 miles each way every day, I would consider that fairly far, but it could still be done with the Leaf. I would NOT consider 100 miles to be "city only".
Three-quarters of all Americans commute less than 40 miles per day. A Leaf can do 100 miles. Therefore, the Volt is really aimed at people who have a need to go farther than 100 miles per day, or have "Range Anxiety". - Essentially using the fear of what a car may or may not be able to do, to sell more of a certain style of car.

I do agree with the apples and oranges statement. Volt vs Leaf are two different styles of cars. However, for many people the Leaf will be a very good choice.

References:
Chevy Volt OFFICIAL page
Nissan Leaf Official Page

Please note that GM-Volt: Chevy Volt Electric Car Site has a disclaimer at the bottom saying that it is in NO WAY related to GM. It is a private page which is a rumor-mill/fun place to talk about the Volt.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (05-07-2010), RobertSmalls (05-07-2010)
Old 05-07-2010, 10:01 AM   #48 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
The Volt, from the looks of the interior, seems to be a rather cramped 4-seater, actually. Typical for GM, it has "fat" seats and that *hump* down the middle (where some of the batteries are) is quite a big intrusion. The layout of the Leaf battery under the floor is *much* better, IMO.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 05-07-2010, 02:40 PM   #49 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Neil -

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
The Volt, from the looks of the interior, seems to be a rather cramped 4-seater, actually. Typical for GM, it has "fat" seats and that *hump* down the middle (where some of the batteries are) is quite a big intrusion. The layout of the Leaf battery under the floor is *much* better, IMO.
Yeah, it's definitely a 4-seater. The hump is a legacy design solution from the EV1. It probably made more sense "back in the day" when RWD cars had similar (albiet smaller) driveline humps.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 05-07-2010, 09:58 PM   #50 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I think that the seating arrangement is there in part to touch on the familiarity of a sport sedan, to make the Volt seem more like traditional GM family-sport vehicles.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
chevy, review, volt