Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2008, 09:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Beater Deluxe v2.0 - '89 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 44.68 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Davis
Yeah, probably. I was torn between going this route and an HF box to tell the truth. I think I'm glad I went the way I have even if I can't get a taller 5th gear, I have to live with the car and it sucks when accelerating to interstate speeds to merge into traffic is a challenge.

If gas goes up another dollar I might change my mind about that.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-22-2008, 09:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Davis View Post
..it sucks when accelerating to interstate speeds to merge into traffic is a challenge.
Thats what 4th gear is for!
Old 08-22-2008, 09:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
If I swap to an HF box, hmm, 1st gear would get me to 55. I had a stock CRX HF once upon a when. Between the power loss at 2700-3000 ft elevation and the ridiculous gearing it was rarely placed in 4th much less 5th.

This engine has easily twice as much oomph, but I can't shake the lingering bad taste of not being run down and passed by old ladies with walkers.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:45 AM   #14 (permalink)
Ecoformance Engineer

EJ7 - '96 honda civic Hx
Last 3: 58.02 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
or third

One of the guys I work with just drove his eg coupe for the first time with a vx tranny and he forgot he was in third on the freeway

He said 70 was about 1800 rpm in fifth, lol

I'm waiting on a driver side mount to install mine, cant wait.

Hey how is that JAW wideband? The website says that it can read about 35-1 AFR's but still uses a Bosch o2. I thought NTK's were the only sensors that could read higher then 20-1 accurately.

I have been waiting on a reply from Tech-edge but I might have to switch to a JAW. Hmm

Also what water injection setup were you thinking about going with? on/off, progressive? Planning on running 50/50 or straight water?

And how far do you think you are going to be able to push the AFR's? high 20's?

70 mpg or die modding

www.full-race.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
looking forward to seeing what kind of uber-sipper slinks out of the full race skunkworks.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Honestly I'm tuning the car with an NGK AFX unit that I know matches up with another PLX and a local dyno shop's LM-1. I plan on going back and seeing what the JAW sees of my tune.

Honestly, the JAW is a hobbyist piece. If you can deal with an Innovate it's not much more complex to set up BUT the serial communication on the device is prone to glitches. You must use a short and high quality DB9 cable or else you are in for frustration. I am 100% sure it will be fine for my intended use as the backbone of a closedloop system, even if I end up not trusting it to tune with. Sorry I can't be of more help, I'll let you know next week.

I've owned a few Techedge units; two 2A0 and a 2C0. Both 2A0 were kits, one worked fine for years but the other shipped with a bad surface mount ADC. The 2C0 worked for four hours them died. I won't buy another. Innovates are a bit of a hassle, but very handy when you need to do serial logging as when reflashing scoobies. For a straight analog out unit w/ a display I really must recommend the NGK AFX.

The water injection will be a simple on/off affair controlled by the ECU, it really seems easiest although I believe I could hijack the EBC function to do a PWM control. Once the engine is up to temp, and meets cruise conditions, it will turn on the water injection pump and switch to leaner secondary mappings. I have absolutely no clue what AFRs I'll be able to run; I have tuned the part throttles stoich but there were a couple spots in the maps that read mid 16s and I had no loss of power/driveability. Much like the JAW I need to play with the system to find out what it will do for me. :P
Old 09-05-2008, 09:40 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

I have some preliminary mileage numbers in. I have the leanburn closedloop implemented.

25-27 mpg around town. I'm happy with that as I am a somewhat spirited driver, and reside in the mountains, and that is also what the stock D15B7 I had previously was getting in town. Leanburn closed loop made no effect on this mileage. I have a high idle problem (leaky power booster) and yesterday I turned down the TPS enrichment, so possibly I can knock off 27-29 mpg in the future, with no changes in driving habits.

40-41 mpg is my mixed FE, as my normal schedule has me running short errands with commutes to and from Morganton, Greenville/Spartanburg, and sometimes Knoxville.

Long distance FE: 47.9 mpg driving to Knoxville at 75-80 mph, return trip @ 70 mph, some in-city errands this morning before I topped off which I estimate dropped 1-1.5 mpg off the actual highway figures. FYI, wideband closed loop targeted 16:1 on the drive there, 16.7:1 on the drive back. I suspect the maps are too rich (tuned for stoich) as the logs were averaging 16.2:1; despite long term/short term trims the closed loop code isn't designed to fudge multiple AFR points so I suppose I'll lean it out in the part throttle area. I haven't played with part throttle timing, with how wacky the rest of the setup is I'm sure there are gains to be made.

I'd like to hit 50 mpg before I try to put a lip on the front bumper, or learn to drive like a normal person.

Reply  Post New Thread