Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #41 (permalink)
oldschool

White2003Focus - '03 Ford Focus SE 4-door sedan
Team Ford
90 day: 38.53 mpg (US)

White2001S10pickup - '01 Chevy S10 extended cab LR
Last 3: 24.51 mpg (US)

1989DodgeOMNI - '89 Dodge Omni
Last 3: 30.38 mpg (US)

1991ChevyC1500pickup - '91 Chevy C1500
Last 3: 24.03 mpg (US)

White1986Irocz - '86 Chevy Irocz LB9
Last 3: 30.14 mpg (US)

1999 C5 Corvette - '99 Chevy Corvette

2008 Infinity G37 - '08 Infinity G37
Acceleration Enrichment (AE)

coped from DIY EFI:

"What is it
The accel (acceleration) pump is used to add a bit of extra fuel the second the throttle is depressed, the harder, or rather faster you press it, the more fuel u will need to add, this is to stop the engine from missing from a sudden lean condition and the air rushes into the engine. Some will need more some will need less.

Tables you need

* Delta TPS = The initial value of fuel from the rate of tps or map change.
* Accel vs RPM = A scaler for the accel pump size based on rpm, you always need more at low engine speeds
* Coolant temp = A correction to the accel amount based on coolant temp

Settings you need

* Trigger = The delta rate that the accel pump engages. this will stop miss triggers
* Max size = The max amount of change that the accel pump will change the PW by.
* Decay time = How fast the pump will decay. this should be done as a percentage decrease based on the last value."

Another informative link about fueling logic for AE:
Acceleration Enrichment Fuel Tables

I will add:
Systems that use a MAP sensor also have logic that looks at delta-MAP (change in intake pressure) and uses an additional fueling table to add to the amount of fuel calculated for extra AE fuel delivery.

Older systems use the CTS (coolant temp) in determining a pulse-width multiplier in order to scale the amount of AE that was triggered by the delta-TPS, or the delta-MAP.

Newer systems use a bias table that blends the coolant and intake air temp to determine the scaling. When the engine coolant is cold, the table is biased more towards the coolant temp. When the coolant is at normal operating temp, the table biases towards the intake air temp.

YES, more throttle modulation will result in more fuel delivery, though it is very temporary.
There is a time-out function or "decay" of the added pulsewidth to phase the AE out over a time period and return back to running at 14.6:1 AFR (stoich). At a steady throttle your PCM will maintain 14.6:1 AFR no matter if you have +20% or -20% fuel trims.
However, if you have positive fuel trims at whatever load cell you happen to be driving in when you activate AE, those positive fuel trims are added in to the calculated AE pulsewidth, and that means more fuel consumption.
Negative fuel trims do NOT get applied to other fuel adders like AE.
Most experienced tuners like to shoot for very small negative fuel trims of around -2% in most load cells. That will keep your AFR from going overly rich under certain conditions like when AE or PE are being applied.

Intake air restriction CAN result in the need for increased delta-TPS, and YES that can trigger fuel enrichment more often if you're not careful. Modulating the throttle slowly will avoid this because the deta-TPS is calculated over time so a very slow change in throttle does not trigger AE.

When doing/testing pre-throttle air restrictions you have to keep in mind that your factory air ducting & filter are sized very close to WOT operation.
With your engine off, use your scangauge to read TPS %, use a screwdriver to hold your throttle open to the TPS% where you normally like to cruise, and then take a very close look at your throttle blade. Normally the blade will be barely open and you may have trouble seeing the small space between the blade and the throttle bore. This is a very small area for air to pass. This is more the scale that you want to think about when designing your air restriction. Otherwise the restriction will be way too large for you to be able to measure an increase in mileage using practical methods.
Start reducing the size of your restriction until you start noticing a difference, and remember to modulate the throttle slowly. This modification should be thought of more as a power-limiter, which keeps you from over-powering your engine so often during normal driving.

Also, don't expect much of a mpg gain just from restricting the air pre-throttle. To get a better gain, try to increase the resolution of your throttle control so that the same pedal movement results in less throttle movement. Then you will start getting gains that are easily measured.

The Following User Says Thank You to Olympiadis For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (02-10-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #42 (permalink)
oldschool

Team Ford

For increasing throttle resolution, if you're not big on modifying your throttle lever attaching point, you can sometimes do it a very easy and temporary way with a piece of aluminum foil crushed and pushed into the cam-shaped throttle cable groove on your throttle lever.
Just keep in mind the point is to make the gas pedal less sensitive at very low throttle positions. Make sure you pre-test it to make sure the cable stays aligned and isn't in danger of coming out of the groove, or binding. (safety)

Here's a pic to try to help with the explanation.
http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/w...cablephoto.jpg

Old 02-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #43 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Olympiadis, I like the links you posted. If I understand, not intake restriction but EOC P&G itself might be contributing to a rich AFR in my car because of quick throttle position changes (from off to 9% to 25/26% quite suddenly). Such throttle positions are not nearly close enough to WOT for my 25% smaller diameter intake tube to restrict anything significantly, but the quick rate of change in the throttle position will trigger a brief, small, fuel enrichment. Interestingly, yesterday on the freeway my long term fuel trim returned to 0.00 after engine-on P&G for a while. During the neutral coasting glide phase, short term trim dropped into negatives. Apparently, the MAP sensor is mostly relevant because rapid changes in pressure contribute to the ECU's fuel enrichment response?

Sorry for apparently distracting this thread with the rich AFR issue. Thanks.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #44 (permalink)
oldschool

Team Ford

I think where the disconnect is, is your understanding of the fuel trims and adaptive fueling logic.
Having positive or negative fuel trims does not mean you are running rich or lean as you might think of it. You are still running at 14.6:1 AFR when in closed-loop. The trims are only an indication of how much the adaptive fueling routine had to adjust from your base fuel map (calibration values) in order to maintain 14.6:1 AFR. It would be extremely unusual for you to see zero fuel trims while driving. It is just the normal operation of the system.
The reality is there are always small differences in your actual fuel delivery, fuel combustion efficiency, combustion temperature, and atmospheric conditions that will result in deviations from what would be predicted by the main fuel calibration values that were programmed in at the factory.
If you change anything on your car, or the engine experiences normal aging and wear, the value of the fuel trims can increase.
Adaptive fueling keeps you at 14.6:1 AFR over the life of the vehicle as long as your O2 sensor is reporting properly.

If you start experiencing a problem with your engine running, then the fuel trims can be used in the troubleshooting process. For instance if your fuel trims are extremely high (maybe +25%) with your engine just idling, then that may be an indication of a vacuum leak.
A fuel trim of -25% at idle may indicate a fuel leak at the injector or a vacuum referenced fuel pressure regulator.
The variations on these possibilities to aid in troubleshooting are almost endless.

What you really want to do is monitor the commanded AFR from the PCM, and monitor actual AFR from a WBO2 sensor.

- Yes the MAP is very relevant in determining short-term fuel enrichment such as AE. Modulating the throttle slower will reduce the delta-MAP. This is what people have done for decades when driving while watching a vacuum gauge. Even with a carburetor, the reduction in throttle modulation requires less acceleration enrichment (pump-shot) and avoids activating the main power-valve system. With MPFI you have AE and PE that do the same enrichment jobs based on the same kind of throttle & vacuum input (how far and how fast on the pedal).

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Olympiadis, I like the links you posted. If I understand, not intake restriction but EOC P&G itself might be contributing to a rich AFR in my car because of quick throttle position changes (from off to 9% to 25/26% quite suddenly). Such throttle positions are not nearly close enough to WOT for my 25% smaller diameter intake tube to restrict anything significantly, but the quick rate of change in the throttle position will trigger a brief, small, fuel enrichment. Interestingly, yesterday on the freeway my long term fuel trim returned to 0.00 after engine-on P&G for a while. During the neutral coasting glide phase, short term trim dropped into negatives. Apparently, the MAP sensor is mostly relevant because rapid changes in pressure contribute to the ECU's fuel enrichment response?

Sorry for apparently distracting this thread with the rich AFR issue. Thanks.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #45 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
I found a study done at Oak Ridge National Labs on this subject:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post317595

They show no impact on fuel injected gasoline cars, but intake restriction hurt a carbureted gas car.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

Old 07-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #46 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
dd,
nice find. someone else on here continually states that (maybe FL). Nice to see it in a study!

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
Reply  Post New Thread