Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2009, 09:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezler View Post
maybe add VGs or a lip spoiler if I can convince myself that they will help.
That should be no problem! I've seen all kinds of people convince themselves that certain things help regardless of whether or not they actually do!

Based on everything I've read, and my own tests, I'd say: don't lose sleep over VG's - at least not airtabs style. I'm open to the possibility that the delta style may be better.

A lip spoiler on the other hand is probably something that you could detect in your own A-B-A testing.

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-13-2009, 10:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Bio Deezler (sold) - '03 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI
90 day: 50.78 mpg (US)

The Beast. - '03 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT
90 day: 12.86 mpg (US)
Side Skirts

Yeah, I would only consider the delta wing style VGs. Air-tabs are for semis. I am a little embarrassed to admit that I just think they look cool. Plus explaining what they are to people would be a typical dork thing for me to enjoy doing...
I think doing a deck-lid extension or lip spoiler first, and then using tuft testing to analyze the addition of VGs might be a useful study.

Anyway, fast forward to yesterday, when I decided to tackle mounting my second-hand side skirts. Little bit of mounting tape and a couple screws, and they were on. Speaking of convincing myself of things, I am currently working on "these skirts are helping reduce drag"... But basically they just look bad-ass. The driver's side came with a nice paint chip that I'll have to touch up.

So, current vehicle status:

I like this shot. Hail!

Segments still to come:
- Engine tuning
- Turbo intake piping upgrade
- Mirror delete
- Rear wheel skirts
- Lip spoiler / deck lid? What the heck happened to trebuchet!?!? I need his CFD data!
Old 04-13-2009, 11:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezler View Post
Air-tabs are for semis.
That's not what the company that makes 'em would tell you.

Quote:
What the heck happened to trebuchet!?!?
I was wondering the same thing recently. He comes and goes... Except usually he's been here during the school year.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 04-14-2009, 02:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
Great looking car Deezler! I just did the muffler delete myself last week and wish I had done it sooner. I have the same problem with my significant other. When she drives the TDi she can get the mpg to dip into the 30s (which is still better than most other cars on the road). I like your stylish and functional approach to modding. I have my mirrors folded in for highway use but if you figure out a clean way to do a passenger side mirror delete, be sure to post pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Air Intake System Upgrades.

Thanks, COcycler. I will definitely post pics of the mirror delete. Since I'm not sure how soon I'll get to it, I bought my delete panels from a small company called 8380 labs. 8380 Laboratories - Products
They seem to focus more on t-shirts these days....

Just tackled a full intake system upgrade over the weekend.

Started with the turbo intake pipe that I picked up off the tdiclub.com classifieds. Since the aluminum pipe has to run around the exhaust manifold and EGR cooler at a clearance of only a couple inches, I decided to give it some heat wrap. Looks like I should have bought more then 15'. Oh well.

New PD150 pipe vs. my stock 2003 ALH pipe.

After cleanup and heat wrap:

Pipe installed:

Might as well take a quick look at intake clogging before replacing upper intercooler pipe elbow: I think I'm still ok for now...

Next, I knew I didn't want to bother installing an intake pipe that starts at 3" diameter only to run a 2.5" intake up to it. So I picked up a used air box and 3" MAF housing from a gas V6 Volkswagen off the vwvortex classifieds. I also bought a cheap 3" flex pipe intake hose kit online (only to later see it for a few bucks cheaper at my local auto parts store, doh).

Busted out a hole saw, got the air compressor and die grinder fired up, and started buzzing away at the VR6 air box:

Tried to smooth out the upper lid also, but it was just too much work so I called it ok at this point:

New lower air box in place.

Everything assembled:

I know this might seem counter-productive for mileage for some of you that run warm air intakes. But my engine has no throttle, is all drive-by-wire, and is, of course, turbocharged. So I honestly think this extra breathing will in fact help mileage. And I have to admit I'll probably enjoy the extra power also.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Finally got my wheel center-cap stickers:

Pretty darn good factory appearance. Is it wrong to disguise an after-market wheel? I can't see why....
Old 04-27-2009, 05:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
OEM center caps wouldn't fit?

Old 04-27-2009, 05:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Since yours is diesel and no throttle its not going to dump extra fuel just because its cooler air.

That is a problem that throttled engines face.

I predict possible slight increase if the assembly is less restrictive(has better access to free flowing air) or has a ram effect if its facing directly forward.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:34 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Actually Christ, thats a good question. I have no idea if OE caps would fit. I don't have any on hand (don't want to pull them out of my winter wheels and sold my old OE 17s). These center cap stickers are aluminum backed and only cost 7 bucks on ebay. They seem like a really nice product, and fit right over my new wheel center caps.

As far as mileage is concerned with the new wheels/tires and air intake, I'm not really seeing any benefit - yet. My last tank was compromised with troubleshooting and hard acceleration testing. Plus a different pump and fill-up procedure today. doh. Nothing lost though, at 47.x mpg.

I keep screwing with my engines calibration (this time with MAF sensor swap) and thus affecting fueling and turbo boost maps. Makes it hard to find minute differences. Hopefully when I get everything fully sorted I'll nail down a 50+ tank.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
I absolutely love what you have done with your car. You have done every thing exactly as I would if I had that car.

I even like that color.

As far as VGs are concerened, why not ? It would look like an Evo, and might actually do something.

I'm still really confused about how that VGs can show an obvious decrese in drag, using tuft testing, yet they sometimes do not help at all.
If you think they look cool, I say try 'em ! I would ( because I too like the look of them. )
Personally, I would mount them lower than the top of the roofline so that they do not add frontal area. ( I would mount them around 2.5 " - 3 " down the back of the glass . You could use a silicone adhesive on the glass, and the VGs would come off without ripping the paint off your roof. )

Last, I would add a decklid extention and lower the car - but that's just me.

Reply  Post New Thread