Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2015, 03:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Fiesta - '06 Ford Fiesta 1.4 Ambiante
90 day: 45.9 mpg (US)

Dakar - '03 BMW f650 GS Dakar (retired)

Tucson - '07 Hyundai Tucson 2.0 GLS
90 day: 32.67 mpg (US)
Ecomoding worth it?

Considering abandoning my plans to ecomod my 2005 fiesta. Its a great car it was my first 'nice' car I bought. However it is 10 years old now and the mpg im getting is not really that impressive. im struggling to reach the figures mentioned in the link. partly because the car has 200 000 km's or 125 000miles on it. and partly it still isn't working properly.

ive only had the car for 25 000km's and it hasn't been smooth sailing. currently the water pump and welsh plugs are on their way out. the cvs are also clicking. its had a number of sensors replaced under a warranty but now the warranty is out and im still having issues. I fear it is just going to be a money pit. however it is quite a popular car here so I will get quite a bit for it here on resale.

my idea is to get a newer later model car that already has some fuel efficiency engineered in it and start from there. there is a number of options out there but the Suzuki alto seems to be the best bet. they don't hold their value at all here and I can pick up a 2012 model with about 45 000 miles on for $ 3500 USD.

the figures this car produces as standard I can only dream of in my fiesta. and then imagine improving on it adding all the tech in this forum.

anyways heres the cars compared Compare cars... - autoevolution

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-25-2015, 07:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lean Burn Cruiser!

Big Blazin' - '88 Chevrolet K5 Blazer Silverado
SUV
90 day: 14.97 mpg (US)

Chili - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
House of Tudor
Team Streamliner
90 day: 72.29 mpg (US)
My surprise was legendary when I saw the car you are considering has the Combined FE of a 1st Gen Honda Insight!

If your Fiesta is going downhill quick and you can get the Suzuki for bread crumbs, then I don't know what is stopping you Of course, the cost of parts and repairs for the Suzuki need to be considered. If the Fiesta is as popular as you say, then the part might be cheaper due to simple supply and demand.

I approve the Suzuki though! P.S. Get some Bridgestone Potenza RE92's on that thing asap if you get it!

Remember, thank a fellow EM'er for a helpful post!!!
I hypermile better in my cowboy boots

Past threads:
ZX2 modding thread
Ecomodder's Top 10: How they do it!
ZX2 Aerodynamics: Shooting for 0.15 Cd
ZX2 coast-down testing for Cd & Crr
The Following User Says Thank You to BabyDiesel For This Useful Post:
Eddie25 (05-25-2015)
Old 05-25-2015, 01:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,453 Posts
The Fiesta from that generation is a POS, doesn't seem worth to keep. About the Suzuki, all I have to say is that it's now very popular in Uruguay due to its fuel-economy, but since your daily commuting involves some hilly terrain you shouldn't expect to reach the same 25km/l some Uruguayans are achieving in road traffic.
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
Eddie25 (05-26-2015)
Old 05-25-2015, 01:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
RPM
EcoModding Lurker

JF - '97 Honda Civic 1.5i LS VTEC (EK3)
Team Honda
90 day: 59.68 mpg (US)
Stepping down from a B segment car into an A segment car will feel quite awkward. Please test drive the Alto before committing to a purchase.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
09 Toyo Yaris HB (Huevos)

Eddie25, sorry to hear the Fiesta has not worked out. Not familiar with the Suzuki Alto as Suzuki basically left the U.S. market a few years back. Basically leaving owners high and dry. I not a believer that cheaper is necessarily better, I other words look for a vehicle with an active after market parts stream. Many race/ performance parts are lighter and better quality than OEM, especially in suspension parts. Aero mods are great but the costs the design and engineer them often outweighs the long term gains from better MPG. Also remember personal situations change, will the Aero mods designed today meet next years circumstances?

I've been fairly lucky. My car has been in three accidents. Two "hit and run" while parked and a "head on" with a large raccoon, which took out the OEM bumper, A/C evaporator, and radiator (my fault.) As a result I'll be keeping the car for several years because any "Carfax" report will ding my resale value. Fortunately for me there are lots on fairly inexpensive parts out there. 2 years ago I bought engine block and crankshaft with 26K miles on it ($250 USD shipped) followed by a 28K used 5spd for $300.

So what does this mean for you? Before you scrap/trade the Fiesta, find out what used parts are available with low or no cost shipping. Unless the Uni-body is falling apart you may be money ahead with building or having someone else build a new powertrain with used parts.

Last edited by 2009Toyotoad; 05-25-2015 at 11:30 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2009Toyotoad For This Useful Post:
BabyDiesel (05-26-2015), Eddie25 (05-26-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 12:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
When you have a good car, you hold onto it and maintain it for ever. When you have a POS you let it go pronto. That 05 Fiesta seems like the latter. Sorry. This is part of why I keep my 1998 Civic. Damn thing was so good from the factory that even now it keeps running, day after day, even with 228,000 US miles on it.

Suzuki seems like a nice little simple car:

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Eddie25 (05-26-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 03:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Fiesta - '06 Ford Fiesta 1.4 Ambiante
90 day: 45.9 mpg (US)

Dakar - '03 BMW f650 GS Dakar (retired)

Tucson - '07 Hyundai Tucson 2.0 GLS
90 day: 32.67 mpg (US)
thanks all for opinions! I think what rooster mentioned about hilly terrain might be a problem reaching those claimed figures even in my current car.

I havn't test drove the alto yet but climbed into one. ive got the very bottom of the range fiesta and they felt about the same inside. didn't feel like I was in a cheapie at all and had electric front windows.

I havnt got a issue with ford they make great cars. even considering replacing our fiesta with another one. just our car was a lemon. as for parts ford parts is dirt cheap. but im no mechanic and labour to change those parts are expensive. the only tools I own is the wheel spanners in my cars! as for Suzuki they entered this country with a storm so currently parts and expertees are well available.

however im still thinking about it its not a given. I would like to purchase cash and not do financing again but my cash budget is not endless. my ideal car would either be the ford focus, audi a4 or vw jetta 2.0 TDI's. don't know what they are called there but those are some serious motors with excellent mpg figures

Old 05-26-2015, 07:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

UFI - '12 Fiat 500 Twinair
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)

Jeep - '05 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
90 day: 18.09 mpg (US)

R32 - '89 Nissan Skyline

STiG - '16 Renault Trafic 140dCi Energy
90 day: 30.12 mpg (US)

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 50.25 mpg (US)

Premodded - '49 Ford Freighter
90 day: 13.48 mpg (US)

F-117 - '10 Proton Arena GLSi
Pickups
Mitsubishi
90 day: 37.82 mpg (US)

Ralica - '85 Toyota Celica ST
90 day: 25.23 mpg (US)

Sx4 - '07 Suzuki Sx4
90 day: 32.21 mpg (US)

F-117 (2) - '03 Citroen Xsara VTS
90 day: 30.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie25 View Post
my ideal car would either be the ford focus, audi a4 or vw jetta 2.0 TDI's. don't know what they are called there but those are some serious motors with excellent mpg figures
My VW had a total of over $30K worth of repairs required at 40K km. Even at independent rates it's still an awful lot, I don't mind so much that it needed work, it's just that ridiculous parts prices shouldn't write off a car that's still like new.

In short, if you're worried that your Ford might be a money pit don't get anything VAG.

Reply  Post New Thread