Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2008, 11:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

going on a long trip in two days

In two days, I'm going to go on a trip from Austin, TX to San Diego, CA. My car is a 2002 Ford Taurus with 3.0L 24 valve DOHC engine and automatic transmission.

How I currently hypermile:
* Obey the speed limit (engine speed just above 2000 RPM on highway).
* DWL on small hills, mild P&G on large hills.
* Tires up to 40 PSI (sidewall 44).
* Coast to a stop when possible, and try to time lights.
* Ease off the accelerator for a moment when accelerating to encourage transmission to upshift.
* I cannot EOC since it is an automatic, and do not NC as it would be too easy to misshift. No FAS either as it would be too stressful on the battery.
* I do not have a Scangauge yet as gas is currently cheap and I rarely drive. I do have a vacuum gauge, but I won't be able to install it until after the trip as I don't have the necessary hardware to connect it.
* I do not draft as it is too risky.

Any more suggestions? I'm planning to make the trip in one day (start early in the morning and my parents can take turns driving) to save on hotel costs so I won't want to slow down too much.

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-23-2008, 01:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Civic 4 Life

Civics Lesson - '08 Honda Civic LX
Team Honda
90 day: 40.53 mpg (US)
I think the "minor P&G on large hills" wouldn't help if you're in gear the whole time...you would probably be better off with steady throttle (the DWL you mentioned earlier).