Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
I found a good source on the ratios for the 2003-2005 Civic Hybrid manual transmission and added it to the table in post 1. Was also able to get engine code, oem wheel sizes, and transmission code. Anyone know where to find a free copy of the Honda Factory Service Manual for the seventh gen Civic and for the Fit? The sites I found want cash or ask for credit card info in a sketchy way.
I don't know where you can find one for free...

But if there is specific info you need, I can look it up. I have a FSM for the '01-'05 Civic. I forget if it covers the Hybrid or not.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
The Following User Says Thank You to darcane For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (11-05-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #32 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
I don't know where you can find one for free...

But if there is specific info you need, I can look it up. I have a FSM for the '01-'05 Civic. I forget if it covers the Hybrid or not.
If you can get the VSS speed specs for me, that would be a nice addition. The 4th, 5th, and 6th generation Civics have VSS that spin about 1,025 rpm to report 60 mph. Any info on the speedo gears in the trannys too. Anything that confirms or corrects the7th gen gear ratios. Any copy of the specs and service limits page (as I posted for the other generations) would also be a cool addition.

As for that link to a 7th gen civic running a 6th gen tranny you posted a few posts ago, I have seen it. Notice that the thread never concluded. the guy just went silent at a certain point during the process. I didn't find that very convincing. I don't think it proves the swap. You do for some reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
Ok, so the obvious question is, how does one get a hold of an HF 5th gear, and which transmissions will it swap to? I have a spare DX hydro trans I'd like to build up. (Thanks for the info by the way!)
It would actually be the final drive you would be most interested in. Check carpart.com
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 11-05-2013 at 09:39 PM..
Old 11-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
If you can get the VSS speed specs for me, that would be a nice addition. The 4th, 5th, and 6th generation Civics have VSS that spin about 1,025 rpm to report 60 mph. Any info on the speedo gears in the trannys too. Anything that confirms or corrects the7th gen gear ratios. Any copy of the specs and service limits page (as I posted for the other generations) would also be a cool addition.
Press release from Honda in 2001 that confirms gear ratios (except Hybrid, it wasn't offered yet).

I'll see what I can find on the rest.

Quote:
As for that link to a 7th gen civic running a 6th gen tranny you posted a few posts ago, I have seen it. Notice that the thread never concluded. the guy just went silent at a certain point during the process. I didn't find that very convincing. I don't think it proves the swap. You do for some reason?
Well, the fact that it doesn't run is irrelevant to whether the tranny will bolt up. The reason nobody does this swap is because the electronics on the D17 are a pain to get sorted out especially with the immobilizer. This was just one of many I've seen, and it had decent pictures of the two mated together where you could clearly identify the engine and tranny.

How about one (with pics) of the opposite:
2005 EM2 old school d-series swap
D16 with D17 tranny in an EM2.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
California98Civic (12-08-2018)
Old 11-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #34 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Well, the fact that it doesn't run is irrelevant to whether the tranny will bolt up. The reason nobody does this swap is because the electronics on the D17 are a pain to get sorted out especially with the immobilizer. This was just one of many I've seen, and it had decent pictures of the two mated together where you could clearly identify the engine and tranny.

How about one (with pics) of the opposite:
2005 EM2 old school d-series swap
D16 with D17 tranny in an EM2.
That's one that I did not see, but it's a D17 tranny (shorter gearing) on the D16 engine. That's not the most desirable swap, from the EM perspective. So, clearly it does bolt up, but the purpose of this thread is to help people identify swaps for EM purposes, so although this one bolts up the shifter differences and the electronics make adapting one of the taller-geared transmissions, such as the 92-95 VX/CX to a newer D17 engine relatively complex.

Thanks for the input. I adapted the OP.

Oh! I have seen that press release already. It is part of what I cited in sources. But I was hoping you might be able to get the VSS info and/or speedo gear info from the FSM you mentioned.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 11-06-2013 at 07:51 PM..
Old 11-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #35 (permalink)

Looked for a while but couldn't find anything on the VSS ratio. Here's the specs/limits for the manual tranny from my manual as well as the page on the gear ratios.

(sorry for the crappy scan)

I can e-mail higher res pics or zoom in on the important bit if you'd like.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
California98Civic (01-01-2014)
Old 01-01-2014, 04:03 PM   #36 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Looked for a while but couldn't find anything on the VSS ratio. ... I can e-mail higher res pics or zoom in on the important bit if you'd like.
Thanks for looking and for the PM and the email with the higher res images. I have added the higher res versions to the OP. Thanks!

Old 02-03-2014, 11:34 AM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Just a heads up. Honda will be implementing 8sp DCT (Dual Clutch Transmissions) into there cars. We probably won't be seeing them until 2015-16. It seems they've been testing it out for awhile an will introducing them, including there turbo line up (1.3l turbo, 1.5l turbo, 2.0l turbo) in the following yrs. At the time I read it they had a v6 honda accord with the transmission for testing and the editors seem to like it. This really sounds promising.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:22 PM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Interesting. I wonder how it's different than the ones VW and Porsche use? Honda has a major case of NIH ("Not Invented Here") and they are usually very reluctant to use someone else's technology. And pay royalties, of course.

-soD
Old 02-03-2014, 04:28 PM   #39 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
They're putting a 7-speed DCT in the Fit hybrid, Japanese model. It may be in production already. If it's not, it will be soon. Not for USA consumption, though.

Actually, give me a manual any day.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 02-03-2014, 04:36 PM   #40 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by some_other_dave View Post
Interesting. I wonder how it's different than the ones VW and Porsche use? Honda has a major case of NIH ("Not Invented Here") and they are usually very reluctant to use someone else's technology. And pay royalties, of course.

-soD
At least they did try to make an attempt and failed so they outsourced it. Clutch packs just don't do it no more, or never did.

Reply  Post New Thread