Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2008, 01:01 PM   #361 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Scoob - '05 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport SE
90 day: 25.28 mpg (US)
There shouldn't be an issue with powering the backlight off a separate power source, but make sure it's a regulated 5V. You can pull the 12V from the Accessory circuit (ACC) in your car which switches off with the car (and during an engine crank). Easiset place to pull ACC is behind the radio, but there are many other things in the car that run on ACC.

Edit: Sorry, forgot you had this powered via signal + transistor (don't have a backlit LCD yet). But yea, that would be a software fix. The above still applies if you don't want to use the software option for brightness control though.

Last edited by cmags; 06-26-2008 at 09:15 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-26-2008, 01:04 PM   #362 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
This is a software issue. I think I have auto backlight timeout figured out, will update post 1 tonight hopefully.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:27 PM   #363 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Beater - '93 Geo Metro XFi
First trial run in the 93 Metro XFi. I used the "maybe" values listed in your code for the 98 Metro 3cyl. Two things going on that I don't understand:

1. The MI numbers are clicking off in a controlled fashion, but at about 2x what my odometer says. Another forum member had pm'd me that he thought the VSS value should be closer to 4000. Has anyone verfied the 8204 number?

2. The MH figures are constantly increasing when I'm moving, and slowly decreasing when I'm stopped. I assume when they get to zero they'll stop decreasing. Any idea what this is about?

MPG figures are crazy (in the thousands), probably mostly due to item 2 above.

I double checked my VSS input. I am tapped into terminal B15 on the ECU (yellow with green stripe). My injector lead is tapped into the yellow wire right before it enters the connector for the injector resistor.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:56 PM   #364 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

1. Double the vsspulses per mile with this version in the metro. 16408 should be spot on. The metro has a strange vss signal as far as I can tell.

2. It doesn't sound like the right spot, here is a metro fuel injector hookup pic:

and a vss hookup pic in case anybody else is interested.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:33 AM   #365 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Giving the guino a home. For some reason, I'm having trouble with v.64. It's giving me scrambled eggs on the LCD. I'm making a 2hr highway trip today, so I wanted a decent way to keep everything together and visible.

This is really just a rough attempt, but I'll probably buy another enclosure from the shack (they're only ~$2.60) and do it up nice once I get my power circuit built.

Edit: v.64 seems to be working ok now.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:06 PM   #366 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Dakota - '00 Dodge Dakota Club Cab, Sport
90 day: 18.57 mpg (US)

Jeep - '01 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport
90 day: 18.46 mpg (US)
What size enclosure did you get? What board setup are you using for the 'duino? Iduino, Freeduino, other?

Old 06-27-2008, 11:11 PM   #367 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by awillard69 View Post
What size enclosure did you get? What board setup are you using for the 'duino? Iduino, Freeduino, other?
It's the petite iduino. The enclosure is 4x2x1. Everything should fit nicely, but it'll take some more time and attention to detail with the dremel.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:24 AM   #368 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

92MetroAuto - '92 Geo Metro
Smile 0.66 update

dcb, I just looked at the code for software version 0.66 and it looks great! Knowing a little c++ from college, looking at your code brought back memories. I might have to go get out a few old text books.

I'm in the stage of building the MPGuino for an old 1992 Geo Metro that I've converted to 13 inch tires. Being as I'm on vacation next week, I plan on building it then.

Let me say THANK YOU dcb. Your hard work has made this happen.

jmassengill
Old 06-28-2008, 10:21 AM   #369 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

Thanks JM, Nice Unit DBN!

Ok, lets try and regroup again.

re: hardware failures, andrewJ has not had a chance to investigate. Have not heard back from Top Down or Cmags. I do not know of any other unexplained hardware difficulties at the moment. Am I missing any? We've had a few successful installations in the field that I can tell as well.

re: strange speed readings on a metro, Top Down and myself have noticed this, anyone else? From my observations it seems to happen right as you are starting out, so for the first couple blocks my mph reading is 1/2 what it should be (v0.66 16408 vssppm). Seems to imply the pin is floating until something attains a bit of a charge, we might need to rethink the value of the vss resistor or??.

I should have a portable scope on monday to get an idea what kind of noise is getting through the power supply and possibly what is happening on the vss signal and a peek at the injector pin for good measure.

Are we ready to start with the database of by vehicle injector/vss/power hookup pictures, and initial parameters to use? Can we use the wiki to organize that? Is anyone willing to own that?
Old 06-28-2008, 02:29 PM   #370 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Scoob - '05 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport SE
90 day: 25.28 mpg (US)
Sorry, haven't had any time to work on this project - my wife had to have emergency surgery and I've been in the hospital w/ her all week. Don't worry, all is OK now but it certainly threw the priority level of this project down the tubes.

I've got v0.64 coded up such that everything on the LCD is duplicated to Serial, and with the addition of the LCD reset it should be a good place for me to test w/o having to disconnect power when I get back to it. I read through the code and only saw the two-button reset - didn't see any automatic checking for the LCD needing re-initialization, though maybe I read the update wrong.

@ DBN, check the LCD thread to see if the "scrambled eggs" you were getting are the same as the garbage I get on my LCD. If we're both seeing the same issue, we can try to combine notes.

I should have the chance to get back on this project this week when we go home from the hospital. I'll have vacation time and will spend half of it on taking care of my wife and the other on projects like this. Of course I'm already two versions behind, but I'll catchup.

Oh yes, I've got the info for the database for the '05 Subaru Impreza 2.5L and can find out how many other Subarus it applies to. I'll post pics of the schematics and the install when I do it.

Reply  Post New Thread