Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
MPG Militia HMV-25E80+A

FrankenJetta D - '90 Volkswagen Jetta GL
Boat tails and more mods
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 64.35 mpg (US)
Resin did not melt foam

This afternoon I worked on the tail of my Jetta, and accidentally/on purpose got some resin on the exposed expanding foam currently residing on said tail. I waited for the melting. I was really looking forward to it, quietly hoping that it would only be a little bit so I wouldn't have to do a lot of reworking. Nothing happened. The resin hardened and there was no melting. I was kind of relieved and disappointed at the same time.

For the record, the foam that I have on there now is the kind that comes out of a can that you get at Home Depot, Lowes, or any other hardware supply store.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Quote:
It is always very amusing how our imagination is put to the test when overcoming reality. Redyaris
Boat tail project
How to gently bump start during EOC
The Following User Says Thank You to JethroBodine For This Useful Post:
t vago (04-28-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

GreenTurtle (Retired) - '01 Toyota Echo Sedan
90 day: 44.85 mpg (US)

Zulu - '14 Honda CR-Z
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)
What kind of resin did you use ? Polyester, epoxy.. ?
Old 04-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Jethro, how long had the foam been curing? I had a maybe similar experience, maybe. Overnight cured foam melted, but weeks-old foam did not. I also found that spray paint would melt overnight cured foam, and not weeks-old foam.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Cd (04-28-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
MPG Militia HMV-25E80+A

Boat tails and more mods
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
CigaR007- El cheapo polyester resin.

California98Civic- Time may be the answer. The foam has been on for a week. I was leaving it on for a while before covering because my previous experience has shown that the foam will move a bit for a couple days.

Quote:
It is always very amusing how our imagination is put to the test when overcoming reality. Redyaris
Boat tail project
Old 04-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
I love what you have done aerowise to the car, but GOWD !
It is starting to look like you covered the car in brain matter

Last edited by Cd; 04-28-2012 at 05:49 PM..
Old 04-28-2012, 06:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
MPG Militia HMV-25E80+A

Boat tails and more mods
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Too expensive, brain matter that is. Kinda tough having a "work in progress" that you have to run everyday. Good thing I don't get embarrassed easily.

Quote:
Boat tail project
Old 04-28-2012, 11:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Silver Bullet - '02 VW Golf TDi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroBodine View Post
This afternoon I worked on the tail of my Jetta, and accidentally/on purpose got some resin on the exposed expanding foam currently residing on said tail. I waited for the melting. I was really looking forward to it, quietly hoping that it would only be a little bit so I wouldn't have to do a lot of reworking. Nothing happened. The resin hardened and there was no melting. I was kind of relieved and disappointed at the same time.

For the record, the foam that I have on there now is the kind that comes out of a can that you get at Home Depot, Lowes, or any other hardware supply store.
Jethro, the foam-in-a-can is urethane, which once cured does not dissolve in resin...or gasoline, or pretty much anything else.

I own a composite shop (Dauntless Racing Cars), so here's a short primer on common foams and resins:

Urethane Foam - doesn't dissolve in anything, but breaks down under vibration loading. Cheap at low densities(<2 pcf), but increasingly expensive at higher densities (>6 pcf). Sold as tan-colored closed-cell insulation at home improvement stores.

EPS Foam - white bead-foam insulation or pink/blue insulation/float foam. Cheap at all densities, but weak and dissolves in ANY organic solvent (which includes polyester and vinylester resins, but NOT epoxy).

PVC Foam - AKA "divinycell", medium priced at low densities, and increasingly expensive at higher densities. Like white pvc pipes, pvc foam is essentially inert to practically everything, and does not break down with vibration or other loading. (Crushing is not "breaking down"...breaking down is turning into dust.)

Polyester Resin - Dirt cheap resin that is weak and stinks to high heaven from the styrene in it. Flammable.

Vinylester Resin - Fairly cheap and stinks from styrene. Stronger than polyester, but not as strong nor high-temperature tolerant as epoxy. Somewhat flammable.

Epoxy Resin - There are several types, but all true epoxies are styrene-free and so do not interact with solvents. Epoxies are potentially allergenic, so caution must be used when handling them (wear protective gloves at a minimum, and take their health and safety warnings seriously). Not flammable. Low-to-no smell.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Stan; 04-29-2012 at 10:28 AM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stan For This Useful Post:
Cd (04-29-2012), Marc F. (04-29-2012), skyking (04-30-2012), Tango Charlie (04-30-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
With as much foam as you are using I wonder why you don't just get the two part foam in cans. It cures a lot harder than the foam spray cans.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787
The Following User Says Thank You to Varn For This Useful Post:
CigaR007 (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroBodine View Post
Too expensive, brain matter that is. Kinda tough having a "work in progress" that you have to run everyday. Good thing I don't get embarrassed easily.
I'm glad you didn't take offense.
I wish I didn't get embarrassed easily.

I can't wait to see you make it out to Bonneville.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Jack

Good info Stan,
I was at Lowes and saw they had some Polyisocyanurate Foam board,
twice as expensive as EPS foam, but I took a tiny sample home and it didn't melt from polyester resin. It is apparantly a stronger type of polyurethane
from a what little wikipedia says Polyisocyanurate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Do you know much about this stuff? I'm going to use some of it in my car, but now I'm thinking maybe my sailboat project even though I will use epoxy on the boat, this foam seems a LOT cheaper than PVC foam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
Jethro, the foam-in-a-can is urethane, which once cured does not dissolve in resin...or gasoline, or pretty much anything else.

I own a composite shop (Dauntless Racing Cars), so here's a short primer on common foams and resins:

Urethane Foam - doesn't dissolve in anything, but breaks down under vibration loading. Cheap at low densities(<2 pcf), but increasingly expensive at higher densities (>6 pcf). Sold as tan-colored closed-cell insulation at home improvement stores.

EPS Foam - white bead-foam insulation or pink/blue insulation/float foam. Cheap at all densities, but weak and dissolves in ANY organic solvent (which includes polyester and vinylester resins, but NOT epoxy).

PVC Foam - AKA "divinycell", medium priced at low densities, and increasingly expensive at higher densities. Like white pvc pipes, pvc foam is essentially inert to practically everything, and does not break down with vibration or other loading. (Crushing is not "breaking down"...breaking down is turning into dust.)

Polyester Resin - Dirt cheap resin that is weak and stinks to high heaven from the styrene in it. Flammable.

Vinylester Resin - Fairly cheap and stinks from styrene. Stronger than polyester, but not as strong nor high-temperature tolerant as epoxy. Somewhat flammable.

Epoxy Resin - There are several types, but all true epoxies are styrene-free and so do not interact with solvents. Epoxies are potentially allergenic, so caution must be used when handling them (wear protective gloves at a minimum, and take their health and safety warnings seriously). Not flammable. Low-to-no smell.

Hope that helps!

Reply  Post New Thread