Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2008, 11:08 PM   #31 (permalink)
38 time NHRA/IHRA Champ

I hope this is my last statement on this subject.....the money I make drag racing comes from:

A...My oldest car
B...What used to be my lightest car
C...What USED TO BE MY SLOWEST CAR!!!!

I Bracket race...my SRT4 runs the 12.8 seconds and gets 32.8 mpg while
my Horizon ONLY runs in the 17s and is slower than our Scion Xb! So much for machoness!!!! In this sport it takes a consistant car and a driver with good reaction times.....the last time I raced I lost by .002 to a 12 second GTO with my 17 second Horizon. To make things equal you put your estimated 1/4 mile time on the side of your window and so does the other guy...the slower car gets the headstart and if you both estimayed the same and had the same reaction times then you should be dead even at the end. Only 2 of my 34 National championships came in heads up racing. I even won the Corvette Nat'ls twice in a 4 banger grocery getter....not good on FE but a LOT better than the other guys!

05 SRT4-12.17@117 mph on DOTs-31.0 mpg-SOLD
96 Geo Metro-3 banger-60.1 mpg-SOLD
95 BMW M3-13.41 @ 106 mph-31mpg-SOLD
77 Chevy Monza with 350/350-FOR SALE
84 Horizon-1880 lbs-29 mpg
95 Neon-43 mpg
99 Z28-10.80 @ 127 mph-27.1mpg
2011 Prius-62.1 wife's
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-06-2008, 01:34 AM   #32 (permalink)
Pickup Driver *gasp!*

Charlie - '97 Chevrolet 1500 Pickup W/T
90 day: 24.14 mpg (US)
So crexcrex, how did this turn into an argument of Canada vs. America? Let me remind you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crexcrex View Post
How does one save gas racing? racing a wasteful sport indeed! when you are paying over five bucks at the pump you will be biking to the race track to watch them on three wheel bikes pedalling across the finish line.
You are paying four bucks? hell try over five in Canada what do you think the gas prices will be in less than a year? your thinking is as antiquated as a DODO bird

No reply wanted if aany will be deleted without bieng read...........
And then it turned into this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crexcrex View Post
Face it you really have to luv a Canuck after all we have oil and you don't have to invade us because our forces? are in Afghanistan bleeding like every other American

You have to luv a Canuck because we have wood that makes for all of them fancy houses now bieng repossesed.

Americans never want for water as we Canucks supply it liberally..........

Electric power. look North and we Canucks who cry like babies have these huge transmission towers frying our brains are sending it to guess who? Americans!

Most of the land and and huge conglomerates are American owned and we give then huge tax breaks.

Canucks have cars and not dog sleds and do not live in Igloo's we are literate and have the Internet.

Unlike Anericans due to the Patriot Act have all of thier rights infringed upon inclusive of free speech...........we Canadians are held hostage by incompetant governments that think Bush is god!

We have civics and most of the metro's i have seen are in the scrap yards waiting to be civics.

Sadly there are very few Canuck ecomodders that I can tangle with via this site.................i have run accross some pretty darned good people and can take a hit if i have said anything out of turn and the reason why is because I am a man................with a mind boggling MPG because i draft all Metro's
Have a good one!
Come on, buddy. This is not the place to bicker about the economic and political differences between two nations. Nor is it the place to use childish insults that have nothing to do with the subject. This is a forum about how to save fuel, and this is a thread about saving fuel on the 1/4 mile. Represent our country like it should be represented... be a proud Canadian, not an egocentric Canadian.

And I'm sure Americans know that Canada is not part of Europe.

Now you can say that you've "tangled" with another Canuck on this site.

Just a note to the other folks... "Eh" is the proper spelling, not "A".

EDIT: I don't think I got my point across very clearly, so I would like to add that there was no reason to get all defensive about Canada, because nobody was attacking it in any way. The topic was about saving fuel on the drag strip, which had very little to do with Canada vs. US.

Last edited by Achtung; 08-06-2008 at 01:44 AM..
Old 08-06-2008, 01:50 AM   #33 (permalink)
Pickup Driver *gasp!*

I'm half French, half Ukrainian, but the family's been here since sometime in the 1600's. So I'm Canadian. I don't see how using 'Eh' makes me French though. But this is still off topic!
Old 08-06-2008, 02:29 AM   #34 (permalink)
Pickup Driver *gasp!*

I don’t see your point. It just seems like you’re trying to get me to defend my country’s immigration policies, my French/Ukrainian cultural background, and the fact that Canada’s population includes Asian Canadians. None of which have anything to do with the NHRA.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:16 AM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Relax and enjoy beautiful Alberta, that is before the tar sands took hold and Alberta looks like craters on the moon, Devastate a beautiful country for the sake of high end oil
BLACKDEUCECOUPE can really get you or anyone else going so disregard him as he means well................he likes everyone be they from Mars or Venus............now get away from this Canuck verses Americans. I think deuce likes me a little because my IQ of 60 allows him to express himself freely and knows full well that i will not be offended.
Right Deuce?
Now if we can get with the subject of ecomodding we will be better of for it.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:57 AM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Back on track.............finally finished the fender skirts with genuine mouldings and not painted on mouldings............would like to share how it is done but who really cares as they would rather pay a customs shop to do it for them.

keep well deuce, the one thing that i have learned on this site is that if you express your thoughts you become a target............ask me you should see the crap mail i get from the brain dead segment!
Old 08-06-2008, 08:33 AM   #37 (permalink)
38 time NHRA/IHRA Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDeuceCoupe View Post

Getting good mileage is all about driving as slow as you can without somebody running over you - sort of like driving a pace car, holding everybody back before the real race starts. In the world of drag racing, they call this bracket racing - an even worse form of non-competition - basically stonewalling to prevent being moved into the class where they actually belong, i.e. 'busting out', e.g. racing too fast... Hello?!?!?

Anyway, don't be too hard on crexcrex. He's pretty much got it figured out, but can't express himself too well - that's all!
I have to disagree about good mileage....for a lot of this on this forum it is simply about good mileage. I don't break speed limits by much, 5-8 mph, but I bought the Metro for the FE....to save ME money.

Bracket racing is EXTREMELY competitive.....and a great equalizer. You can take your 17 second car and be competitive against a 7 second rail dragster!
When I won the IHRA Ohio/Indiana Nationals the slowest car I ran was under 10 seconds and the fastest was in the 6 second range at way over 200 mph. One of those races was decided by .0007! Them guys hate slow cars!

You ARE VERY correct of how we do run against the clock, but so does the other guy. In the last three years I quit racing for points at Indy and just raced special events.....ran a total of 18 races and won a bit over $16,000 qwith a street driven car....that I slowed down a tiny bit to get 23 mpg instead of 17. Percentage wise, thats like taking a 51 mpg car and getting 69 mpg!

CREXCREX is entitled to his opiniun as we all are, I never intend ANY of what I type to be taken as being angry. Like I stated before, come down to IN and we can bend some elbows and have fun....making fun of Geos!

95 Neon-43 mpg
2011 Prius-62.1 wife's
Old 08-06-2008, 11:23 PM   #38 (permalink)
38 time NHRA/IHRA Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDeuceCoupe View Post

As you stated, I don't intend for anything I say to be mistaken as being angry either - it's all in fun. I give ulcers, I don't get them! My problem, if you will, is the ability to control ppl through their own anger NOT mine.....

As far as bending an elbow goes - my entire extended family, as far back as I care to remember (from the late 1700's to today) are rooted in Indiana....

Anyway, maybe we can meet-up some time when I'm back there for a visit!

BTW, one of my brothers is a drag racer in Indiana - started off bracket racing - so take what I say with a grain of salt. He has MANY great stories, so maybe I'll bring him along so you guys can commiserate...
GREAT....kind of reminds me of the old Kung Fu show....take the $$$ from my hand grasshopper....

Find out where he races.....since I have been doing this since 83 there might have been a time that we beat up on each other. I race mainly at Indy, but have raced at Terre Haute, Bunker Hill, Avilla (rip), Muncie, and Chandler. I have also raced at Topeka KS, Milan MI, Martin MI, Great Lakes Dragway in WI, National Trail and Edgewater and Tristate and Thompson Dragway all in OH, Nambia in PA, and two tracks in CDN...A!

95 Neon-43 mpg
2011 Prius-62.1 wife's
Old 08-06-2008, 11:27 PM   #39 (permalink)
38 time NHRA/IHRA Champ

I forgot to add that there is a very out dated site out there that my kids made a long time ago.....Matchbox is the only car I still own from the ones shown....just Google search Angelo Taylor Racing and it should be the first one up.

95 Neon-43 mpg
2011 Prius-62.1 wife's
Old 08-18-2008, 02:01 AM   #40 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_socket View Post
I don't begrudge racing. I'm sure many improvements in vehicle safety/economy that we take for granted in our vehicles had some start in the racing scene. Anything from "how to get more power/efficiency/etc. out of [existing engine]" ....
As far as I know, the single improvement in car mfgring was the (stick-on...with chewing gum) rear-view mirror...'way back in the ' teens (?).Getting more power has never been an unknown field for auto designers, either. If car companies aren't ahead of the learning curve, they can't make money! "They" are a long way from ignorant!

Reply  Post New Thread