Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2009, 10:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
Ecomodder

Cobalt XFE - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
Team Chevy
90 day: 41.1 mpg (US)

'05 Malibu V6 Tow Vehicle/Track Car - '05 Chevrolet Malibu LS V6
90 day: 23.12 mpg (US)

'08 XFE average for 2013 - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
I have 28k miles on my car and have been running my tires at 38 - 42 psi most of the time and have not noticed any uneven tread wear though I think you have different model tires then the '08 XFE so the tires may act a bit differently but you should still get benefit form having them at 34 - 37 instead of 28 - 30psi.

You have a 13 gal tank? I rode my car 40 miles after the gas light came on and I still was only able to put 11.5 gal in the tank.

I can definately see the usefullness of having a CB and I doubt it's causing you to lose any more then maybe 0.25 - 0.50 mpg average. Now the people that fly those sports team flags from the car are the ones really dropping their mpg by 1 or 2.

2012 mpg
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-16-2009, 04:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammer
Well the book says 13 gallons, and it seems correct. When on flat land and my needle shows 1/2 tank exactly it takes very close to 6 1/2 gallons to fill it up. So far the math agrees with the tank size, but I will check the book again to be double sure. Fact is who knows what we really have for a gas tank size? I hear of gas tanks that are really larger than advertised as, but never smaller.

On the 70MPH interstate I think I would be alright if allowed to go 60-MPH, but man.... rush hour will get me killed if I go 60 in the 70 zones here!! Also in seeing that many serious accidents are because of a large difference in speed, I do not feel too safe going much less than say 65 in a 70 zone. One never knows when somebody will rear-end ya here! BAAAAm. - Naw, I better stick to the 55mph side roads, many which were interstates decades ago.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:10 AM   #13 (permalink)
Ecomodder

Cobalt XFE - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
Team Chevy

'05 Malibu V6 Tow Vehicle/Track Car - '05 Chevrolet Malibu LS V6
90 day: 23.12 mpg (US)

'08 XFE average for 2013 - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
Safety first and all...

2012 mpg
Old 09-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Chevy Cobalt LS Coupe XFE

Computer dash now is up to 39.6 avg MPG. I had gone 450 miles on a tank and the computer claimed I could go another 119 miles with what I had left. But I came across a fire-sale on gasoline (no pun) and HAD to but in another 7 gallons (all the money I had) which brought the needle up to 3/4.

Last edited by Jammer; 09-17-2009 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: HAd the MPG 1/10 too low. Corrected to read 39.6.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Victory (hwy) - '09 Pontiac G5 Base Coupe XFE
90 day: 37.32 mpg (US)

Victory (city) - '09 Pontiac G5 Base Coupe XFE
90 day: 29.93 mpg (US)
I have a 2009 G5 XFE. The G5s and the Cobalts are great cars; I don't know why they get disparaged so much in the press. Hey Jammer, how many miles are on your car? I've got less than 3K and today I got 35.8 mpg over 5.1 miles (city) going into work today (went in early and hit almost all of the lights). I'm hoping it'll get better as it breaks in like you say.

HIGHWAY
Old 09-17-2009, 08:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lusth View Post
I have a 2009 G5 XFE. The G5s and the Cobalts are great cars; I don't know why they get disparaged so much in the press. Hey Jammer, how many miles are on your car? I've got less than 3K and today I got 35.8 mpg over 5.1 miles (city) going into work today (went in early and hit almost all of the lights). I'm hoping it'll get better as it breaks in like you say.
When in the trip did your engine get warm?
Old 09-17-2009, 09:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonMPG View Post
When in the trip did your engine get warm?
I don't know. Would I look at my coolant temp? I keep my DIC (that's what GM calls it, really) on instantaneous MPG while driving. I can switch it to coolant temp, will that info help me somehow?

I had a DIY warm-air intake for a while (to help my engine warm up faster), but my MPG seemed to drop slightly so I put it back to stock. I'm thinking when the weather cools, I'll go back to the WAI.

HIGHWAY
Old 09-17-2009, 10:07 PM   #18 (permalink)
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Chevy Cobalt XFEs and Pontiacs G5s

Quote:
Some of the press will never like American cars no matter what. But some of the press IS giving these cars credit, and I could pass a link too ya when I find it. I too am at less than 3K. I still have some driving tonight, last I looked I was at 39.7 avg MPG - and I dont feel its a joke nor that my dash computer is off some hoe. My GPS confirms my odometer and speed too. All math shows OVER 40, more like 42 MPG, but my avg, as of this moment, has not broke 40 on the car computer just yet, but I expect it just might tonight before I get back home.

It would be nice to find a method of putting the G5 drivers and the Cobalts together somehow. Im already getting some remarks from others that make it seem like they dont believe my Cobalt XFE is really getting 40 MPG- but all the math points to this direction, and I believe it is a serious crime for a car maker to jack up a car computer to show too high an avg MPG. The mechanics and auto workers I know claim the new cars by GM have computers that are very close to being on the spot with avg mpg- but I realize some have shown this to not always be true. It may vary car to car, method of driving, or even the generation of car.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I still have some driving tonight, last I looked I was at 39.7 avg MPG
Excellent! Beats my best highway tank of 38 (my worst is 34) and that was pure highway driving. I'm sure 40-45 avg is reachable by mortals even without EOC at 60 MPH. By the way, I tried EOC and my DIC showed 0 MPG, so if you do try to coast with the engine off, I think you'll have to compute MPG the old fashioned way.

HIGHWAY
Old 09-18-2009, 02:01 AM   #20 (permalink)
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Smile Cobalts and G5s

Quote:
Excellent! Beats my best highway tank of 38 (my worst is 34) and that was pure highway driving. I'm sure 40-45 avg is reachable by mortals even without EOC at 60 MPH. By the way, I tried EOC and my DIC showed 0 MPG, so if you do try to coast with the engine off, I think you'll have to compute MPG the old fashioned way.
I can't coast with the engine off because I would lose power steering. The RPMs idle at around 900RPM when I coast.

Nobody ever thought GM could do it, but they have. In 2010 it will become obvious that GM is serious about having the best fuel economy based on all that is in their pipeline. THE Cobalt and G5 where the first sub-compact cars GM has ever built of such quality with some awesome devices thrown on as standard stuff. I ALWAYS changed the stock radio before, ever since the old Delco days of car stereos. I planed on replacing this stereo but I can't, it's too damm nice! Lots of power, plenty of speakers, can hear the entire range, very low distortion-CD/MP3 XM AM/FM All STANDARD Equipment! This, indeed was a first from GM on a sub-compact!

Tonight I got 40.7 AVG MPG!! Wahooo My first 40 mile MPG drive!!

****Say gang, instead of a Chevy Team, what amount calling it The GM Team so we can include drivers of G5's??****

40.7- Oh Happy Day-Aye!!!

Reply  Post New Thread