Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2023, 09:15 PM   #281 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Not sure about Mexico, India and South Africa, but in Brazil many owners of Ford cars with the Zetec-Rocam engine say replacing the thermostatic valve by one with an aluminium housing instead of plastic improves cooling noticeably.
That could be.

On the other hand, there are also those cases of those who a couple people have an overheating problem and then everyone starts making their own conclusions. After a while there are ideas everywhere, many of which are complete myths.

Take the aircooled VW's for an example. There were those who'd remove the thermostat as soon as they bought a VW and there were those that swore the thermostat system actually helped cool the engine even better by directing the air towards the heads.

In my expeperience, with a mostly stock system I was climbing up long steep mountain passes on hot summer days and never broke 350°F head temps nor 210°F oil temps in the 1600cc VW Super Beetle.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-30-2023, 09:18 AM   #282 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,124 Times in 991 Posts
on an aircooled clean air engine, the thermostats flappers were known to stick shut and trash an engine. It's really hard to find one with working parts. It is also difficult to say if the directed air favored anything since they closed sideways. The best ones came off the early single ports and were installed on the cooling fan input
Old 04-30-2023, 09:33 AM   #283 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
on an aircooled clean air engine, the thermostats flappers were known to stick shut and trash an engine. It's really hard to find one with working parts. It is also difficult to say if the directed air favored anything since they closed sideways. The best ones came off the early single ports and were installed on the cooling fan input
See, I know people that are going to disagree. Some say the flaps would always fail open. All I know is I had +40-year-old flaps and thermostat on my Beetle and they never failed in the short time I owned the car.
Old 04-30-2023, 11:59 AM   #284 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,607 Times in 7,088 Posts
Quote:
There were those who'd remove the thermostat as soon as they bought a VW and there were those that swore the thermostat system actually helped cool the engine even better by directing the air towards the heads.
You're half right.

Thermostat delete on the first rebuild. .... and it was the cool tin that redirected the air.

Old 05-02-2023, 09:19 AM   #285 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,124 Times in 991 Posts
I didn't find the cool tin to do all that much. Chts only went down 50 degrees driving through mojave on the highway. Got a better response plugging the fans heater outlets with block plugs

Having said that, there were several versions of cool tin available. I was running the chromed Cal Custom ones
Old 05-03-2023, 03:41 AM   #286 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
Take the aircooled VW's for an example. There were those who'd remove the thermostat as soon as they bought a VW and there were those that swore the thermostat system actually helped cool the engine even better by directing the air towards the heads.
Ethanol versions of the air-cooled VW engine in Brazil often had problems with the thermostat. Some folks simply removed it and ran on gasoline. I remember seeing a Beetle for sale in Pelotas in 2010, which originally ran on ethanol, yet after the thermostat failed it was simply removed and the car was running on gasoline.
Old 10-13-2023, 05:43 AM   #287 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Usually a more "normal" transmission provides better highway MPG than the single-speed planetary gearset of a Prius. Well, sometimes I wonder why Toyota doesn't make a 2-speed gearset, just like the Chinese GWM is already doing.
Didn't either the Lexus LS450h or the 600h have 2-speed transmission?
Old 10-13-2023, 12:32 PM   #288 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Lexus has a Hybrid Synergy Drive V-6 in front, the rear axle is a single speed. I've got one.

Old 10-13-2023, 01:52 PM   #289 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The Lexus has a Hybrid Synergy Drive V-6 in front, the rear axle is a single speed. I've got one.
Just to make sure we are on the same page, this is the car I was talking about:

which has a fatass (300lb?) transmission that looks like this

If the rear axle you are talking about is the same one as the, say, 2006 Highlander Hybrid, I actually have been wondering about getting one and persuading it to drive the front wheels in my car. Which is probably not only impractical but also utterly stupid idea.

Last edited by raubvogel; 10-13-2023 at 02:03 PM..
Old 10-13-2023, 02:43 PM   #290 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Which is probably not only impractical but also utterly stupid idea.
Tell me about it.

ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hot-rodding-toyota-mgr-29878.html

ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hot-rodding-toyota-mgr-29878-2.html#post443871

I've become disillusioned because of a bad experience on black ice and I no longer would put the energy into a project with an open differential.

Nowadays I favor the complete FUV drivetrain and suspension as a unit. There are flood victim FUV awaiting the insurance companiy's release.

Reply  Post New Thread