Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2010, 09:23 PM   #31 (permalink)
sid
EcoModding Apprentice

grayranger - '10 Ford Ranger XL 2 door supercab
90 day: 31.78 mpg (US)
AMCPacer:

My previous Ranger was a V6, 3 liter, 4x4 Supercab with a heavy commercial grade aluminum topper, plywood bedliner, and Yakima racks on it and I got 25 mpg highway, 21 mpg city. Not impressive, but better than your friend. Your friend needs to change his driving habits.

Band's latest song/music video "I Sing Along"
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-03-2010, 10:06 PM   #32 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ford Ranger - '97 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
90 day: 21.28 mpg (US)
Any pics of the belly pan?
Old 10-03-2010, 11:40 PM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

A Danger Ranger...

I am looking to buy a vehicle that suits a few needs... kayaks... bikes on racks (not at the same time but maybe) and/or surfboards. One capable of hypermiling of 30 or more mpg... Think I can pull that off in a 4 banger Ranger with a standard top? Or perhaps fabricate one like yours and of course only carry the toys occasionally.I also looked at Saturn and Ford focus wagons. Any input is greatly appreciated... I just thought a Ranger would have more tordue and be able to run at lower rpm's?
Old 10-05-2010, 10:27 AM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Odd - '04 Ford Ranger
90 day: 33.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaiRuiDe View Post
That thing is a beast! Nice work! What are your rpm's at highway speed?
rpms in 5th gear are around 2,200 in the mid-60s I think. I'll double check that soon.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:34 AM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Odd - '04 Ford Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcpacer View Post
That is awesome! It sounds like those Ranger 4 cyl trucks are quite good. I have a friend that drives a Ranger V6 4X4 and barely gets 20hwy. What is your axle ratio?
Sorry man, don't even know what an axle ratio is. It's 2wd, rear though.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:36 AM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Odd - '04 Ford Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ringcircus View Post
Any pics of the belly pan?
Yeah, it's on the first page, the picasa link. Only a partial belly pan.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Odd - '04 Ford Ranger
Quote:
I am looking to buy a vehicle that suits a few needs... kayaks... bikes on racks (not at the same time but maybe) and/or surfboards. One capable of hypermiling of 30 or more mpg... Think I can pull that off in a 4 banger Ranger with a standard top? Or perhaps fabricate one like yours and of course only carry the toys occasionally.I also looked at Saturn and Ford focus wagons. Any input is greatly appreciated... I just thought a Ranger would have more tordue and be able to run at lower rpm's?
I agree, I'd go with the ranger, do an aero top on a hinge, and you could carry all of it. That's something I'm going to re-work, putting a hinge on it at the half way bar. I can still fit my kayak, bike, and surfboard in it, but multiple bikes would be trickier. I think Bondo's commercial topper would be great for that if you're willing to spend a grand or two. Or you could make your own.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #38 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Odd - '04 Ford Ranger
Here's from another thread (aeroRanger), but of interest for this page too:
I've just driven cross-country and have a great idea on what the truck gets with all my life's load in the back and in the cab. I'm guessing it's around 700 pounds. Don't know how much of an effect that should result in.
The first day, there was no wind, got 39 mpg on 15.7 gallons, usually going 60-75 mph, but had a slow construction zone for an hour and had to crawl up and down hills. Went from 6,200 ft-4,000 ft
2nd day, 15.5 gallons, removed grill block due to it being a hot day and big load, got 34 mpg, at 65-75 mph, down to 2,000 ft.
3rd day, 14.3 gallons, 37.5 mpg, did the grill block for the second half, crazy cross wind, down to sea level
Then went 75 mph purely for 4 gallons, got 22.7 mpg, bad crosswind, hard rain, lights
Then purely 60, needed headlights, wipers high speed due to hard rain, bad crosswind, 37.1 mpg, that difference seems too big.
4th day, 14.9 gallons, 34.7 mpg, very stiff head wind all day, constantly watching the flags to verify that direction. It sucks, I only had a tail wind for a couple hours on the second day! And I went from west to east!

These were not ideal conditions (warm and calm would've been great). Also huge load (I'll put pics up soon). So to be getting 37 in it wasn't a big disappointment. But I'm still really curious on those 60 mpg runs.

Did some coast down testing in Jackson before the trip and used the tool here for that. Seemed to be around .24 to .26 on the graph. Factory is .49

My tires are at 38-40 psi (max is 44), might have gotten lower due to the colder temps and coming down from the higher altitude. I don't know how much that would effect the long drive. Also, the load in Odd is so heavy the boat tail is at least a foot lower than it was pre-load. That might have thrown off my angles a little. Going on a sailing trip for the next month and might not get in a good long highway run to see how Odd does, empty, at sea level. But I might be too damn curious and have to try anyway.

People at the pump were always stoked to see Odd, and I direct them all to this site. Cheers to this site!
Old 10-05-2010, 12:24 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
I am looking to buy a vehicle that suits a few needs... kayaks... bikes on racks (not at the same time but maybe) and/or surfboards. One capable of hypermiling of 30 or more mpg...

Or perhaps fabricate one like yours and of course only carry the toys occasionally.
That screams "Trailer" to me
An enclosed trailer would offer additional protection for your gear and can be aerodynamically shaped.

Buying a vehicle to suit occasional requirements, means people usually buy an oversized vehicle that doesn't really suit their everyday driving.

Transporting Kayaks, bikes, boards externally is a killer for fuel economy.
Transporting them internally means an unefficient huge vehicle is needed.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #40 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Odd - '04 Ford Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
That screams "Trailer" to me
An enclosed trailer would offer additional protection for your gear and can be aerodynamically shaped.

Buying a vehicle to suit occasional requirements, means people usually buy an oversized vehicle that doesn't really suit their everyday driving.

Transporting Kayaks, bikes, boards externally is a killer for fuel economy.
Transporting them internally means an unefficient huge vehicle is needed.
I'd agree with that. My subaru Legacy Wagon could carry just as much as the truck, had 4wd, and got better mpg in town for everyday driving. However, I ride my bike around town and mostly use my truck for hwy. Today I'm moving a bunch of firewood, so it comes in handy for that. But I'd be stoked to see someone with a little civic with a light trailer, aeromodded to negate it's weight impact.

Reply  Post New Thread